Will a Claro sim card work in other Latin American countries?

MichaelandJuliet

Jul 29, 2013
We're thinking of buying a Claro SIM card and a Claro 3G USB modem to use here in DR, and we were wondering if it'll work in other countries that have Claro cell phone service. We travel to other Latin American countries every year, and I'm wondering if Claro offers an international service or, alternatively, if the SIM card and/or modem can just work in other countries.

Does anyone know, or do we have to get another one for each country we go to?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
One thing you don't want is roaming. I think your best bet is to get a sim card in each country.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it ain't. now roaming prices in europe are very low. but DR roaming, wow, mucho dinero.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
It's best you get a SIM from the network carrier in the target country where you intend to visit.

One important tidbit to keep in mind is the supported frequencies in that USB modem. Typically, they support the frequencies from the local carrier only; which in DR happens to be 850 MHz for Claro.

Many international carriers use other bands, typically 2100 MHz for HSPA aka 3G.

Another very important tidbit to keep in mind is if Claro placed a network lock on that USB modem. If it has a network lock, it will not work at all elsewhere.

To get an idea of what device you should get for international travel, visit Wikipedia Mobile Country Code list.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
it ain't. now roaming prices in europe are very low. but DR roaming, wow, mucho dinero.

Roaming in European Union is cheap because there is law protect people that travel in the countries part of the Union, before that law was the same expensive as if you travel to any other country.

The best you can do is get a sim card for the country that you visit, the phones has diferent frecuency, here Orange has the 3G service in the 900 Band, Claro has 850 and 1900 Band but the 3G works with 850 Band. So before you pick up what company get the sim, as your phone here works with claro you have to make sure that the company 3G you pick up has the 3G service in 850 Band.

For the USB drive its came locked, maybe if you get the unlock code you can use it in other countries with local phone company.

Claro Sim card works in other countries as roaming, I went to mexico and get a Telcel sim card there and when I come back to Dominican got the welcome message from Claro. (Telcel and Claro has the same owner.)

MichaelandJuliet

Jul 29, 2013
Roaming in European Union is cheap because there is law protect people that travel in the countries part of the Union, before that law was the same expensive as if you travel to any other country.

The best you can do is get a sim card for the country that you visit, the phones has diferent frecuency, here Orange has the 3G service in the 900 Band, Claro has 850 and 1900 Band but the 3G works with 850 Band. So before you pick up what company get the sim, as your phone here works with claro you have to make sure that the company 3G you pick up has the 3G service in 850 Band.

For the USB drive its came locked, maybe if you get the unlock code you can use it in other countries with local phone company.

Claro Sim card works in other countries as roaming, I went to mexico and get a Telcel sim card there and when I come back to Dominican got the welcome message from Claro. (Telcel and Claro has the same owner.)

This is exactly the info I needed--thanks!