Wind Generators

Sturgn

Jun 13, 2013
Hi all,
I was able to find the stainless Steel I needed and the Domascouse earth from help here, now I have another need, I am looking for a place to purchase a 400W or so wind generator for the sailboat I live on, Any suggestions? I am in Luperon but go to Santiago and Puerto Plata a couple times a month.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Thanks for your compliments guys. lol.

I have an AirX marine 48 V. (I think that volts can be changed via an internal switch.) on S.S. tripod and pole with insulated mounts; switch panel with breaker. We are on the Ocean so salt is a problem. It is right over our bedroom and we seldom hear it. It paid for itself rather quickly but is ONLY a trickle charge system that is much better suited for a small sailboat then a large house. The whole thing is about rust proof and that alone is impressive. She sang right along during our T.S. last year with winds about 60 mph.

Oh. We named her Christine.

SunForce Products Inc. - Wind Turbines - 400 Watt Wind Generator (Marine)

Now I'm going to get yelled at cause I'm not suppose to advertise... but I'm NOT advertising?

We increased our solar and disconnected Christine because we needed additional wires and didn't want to run more, so we took hers. If you're interested let me know. I'm in the Sosua area.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
We use the "Pichardo", Wind Generator here on DR1.
It NEVER Stops.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Welllll? Ya. Lot's of wind with no power.

But... He has changed his method some that is a little more.... less then the past Cat. V hurricane of Dominican P.R. spin.

>>>>>>>>>

So many local resources given away to outside Countries. So many failed within no matter who financed, built them or managed them. It really does not matter cause this is how it is.

Now... back to a little wind generator for a sailboat.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Hi Sturgn. My manual says that I can lower from my 48 volt system to a 36 volt system but not sure yet about getting down for a 12 volt system. I've sent an e-mail to the manufacture, Southwest Windpower, Inc. (My manual is actually for a 12 and 24 volt system and does not cover the 48 and 36 volt systems.)

Being that we are talking about low amps, I'm not sure what effect the higher volts would have on your batteries?

Guys?

GREC

Apr 27, 2013
To get your ROI with a wind turbine you need approximately an average wind speed of 12 mph.
Now no one really wants to live in an area with that kind of wind. With the price of solar today it is hard to justify the cost of a wind turbine.
I have had a 3kw wind turbine for almost 7 years with an average wind speed around 7-8 mph and no problems except
shortage of high winds.
The turbine really starts cooking at 20 mph and up. On a windy night I am very happy with it.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
To get your ROI with a wind turbine you need approximately an average wind speed of 12 mph.
Now no one really wants to live in an area with that kind of wind. With the price of solar today it is hard to justify the cost of a wind turbine.
I have had a 3kw wind turbine for almost 7 years with an average wind speed around 7-8 mph and no problems except
shortage of high winds.
The turbine really starts cooking at 20 mph and up. On a windy night I am very happy with it.

Your points are well taken. That is one reason I posted the link about the Air-X Marine so that the OP could have all the information. I can only then state how mine has done and I've been very please and it's been a great unit as a trickle charger for a large bank of batteries for a large home. When I added more solar and used her wires and I've been debating on getting more wire and letting her sing again.

I believe that the OP has solar on his boat and just needs a few more amps. and could be that he has run out of space for more solar.

I'm still waiting to hear from the manufacturer if this will down step from 48 volts to his 12 volts with the adjusting provided on the unit. Perhaps I'll just go up and start adjusting it with a volt meter on her. (sounds like WORK to me. lol.)

My new home weather station. You can see the wind charts for the last week.

Weather History for Weather Station IPORTOPL2 | Weather Underground

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
OK guys. Help me out please.

Using Watt's law I don't see a real problem other then the remote possibility of overcharge since my unit will keep generating power for a 48 volt system before shutting down. She automatically shuts down/brakes at around 28 mph winds.

Configured at 48 volts/52 max?. Max. 400 watts. Max. 27 amps. (I can not find the max. amp. info but that sticks in my head.)

So at max, what would that due to a 12 volt battery system? I come up with.... nothing would happen other then the possible overcharge due to the system will try to keep charging to the set 48 volt limit.

??

Sturgn

Jun 13, 2013
Grec thanks for the post I live on a 34' Sailing catamaran and have 290W of solar and we are just looking to add some additional amps to the 490AH Battery bank as we are currently running our generator to make up the difference a few hours a week. I dont have much room left for more solar.

Sturgn

Jun 13, 2013
It doesn't look like the one Ringo has will work for me, any other suggestions? I am looking for someone here in the DR that sells them....