Handball courts in Santo Domingo

Christine Torres

Aug 8, 2013
Does anyone know if there are any handball courts in Santo Domingo? My husband loves to play and he use to play in the Olympico until some karate group took over the space that had the good wall. I would love to find a place and even some good competition if there are others that also like to play. Does not have to be an official handball court just a nice wall that could do the job. I tried to Google it but there is some other sport that comes up with the same name. The sport I'm referring to is the one that is played this the small blue ball against a wall.

Makinater

May 4, 2013
Does anyone know if there are any handball courts in Santo Domingo? My husband loves to play and he use to play in the Olympico until some karate group took over the space that had the good wall. I would love to find a place and even some good competition if there are others that also like to play. Does not have to be an official handball court just a nice wall that could do the job. I tried to Google it but there is some other sport that comes up with the same name. The sport I'm referring to is the one that is played this the small blue ball against a wall.

What you are looking for is a court where one can play American handball. If you are googling on just "handball" then the first 50,000 pages or so will be about the much more common Olympic sport (team) handball. In Spanish the latter sport is called Balonmano or H?ndbol. If you could just figure out what American handball is called in Spanish, you might have a chance of finding a cancha. "Pelota mano" or "pelota Vasca" is the closest I can find. It is a sport originating from pa?s Vasco en Espa?a and it seems to be pretty similar to what you're husband is looking for. But la cancha is much larger than that for American handball. Doesn't seem to be big sport in this country though. Couldn't find a single cancha in Santo Domingo when I did a couple of searches. Perhaps the racquetbol court in Centro Ol?mpico Juan Pablo Duarte (between Kennedy and la 27 / M?ximo G?mez and Ortega Gasset) would suit his needs? But then again, if you are not completely new to the town I guess you have thought of this already. Sorry I couldn't help out more. Hopefully someone else will ...

Last edited: