home alone - DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dang... miesposo is out on business, i am home alone. about half an hour ago i wanted to give a piece of bread to my rotties, i open back door (just wood, not iron) and i see one dog is foaming at the mouth, real bad. i just gave them a treat moments before so i was what the hell? poison?

now, it' pitch black, there is no power. neighbours not here. i didn't know to go out or not... dilemma of someone who expects the worst... what if someone poisoned the dogs and was waiting for me to come out? i turned on all the outside lights to look. finally, i saw a toad. figured out maybe the fool licked it. went out, gave dogs some milk, changed their water, relocated the toad.

i tell you it sucks when you are too worried to leave your house at night because you think something sinister is lurking in the dark (you can say i am under the influence of shark week). :cry:

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
The mind and geographic regions can play nasty tricks on ones mindset whilst alone in the dark! ...happy to hear it was just a toad and not a rogue shark;)

Seriously though...happy to hear your rotties are fine! and no one was lurking.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
dogs foam at the mouth from licking a toad? who knew? how did you know this? where did you learn this? What sort of treatment did you give them last week? first there was no power and then you turned on all the outside lights? Did the power come back on? I am concerned for you. As soon as my Smartphone is working I will get you my number and you can call me and I can call you back or whatever and we can be smart together because I have 200 free minutes a month and I much prefer my landline which I understand

besides my thumbs are way to big for this stupid little keyboard

it took me about a half hour to type in my name and email address

i kept hitting backspace

and xxx for whatever

i learned to touch type in highschol and now i have to learn all over again with thumbs only

how are these kids going to work at an office keyboard? are they going to have to connect their phones to the computer and type from there? with just their thumbs?

Are you sure about the toads?

it sounds like a legend from the Black
Forest

i will google it

stay safe

i am going to go to beauty parlor and have my thumb nails filed into pencil points tomorrow

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You're a brave girl dv8. If I were home alone, with no luz, the doggies would be inside with me. Glad all turned out well.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
dogs foam at the mouth from licking a toad? who knew? how did you know this? where did you learn this? What sort of treatment did you give them last week? first there was no power and then you turned on all the outside lights? Did the power come back on? I am concerned for you. As soon as my Smartphone is working I will get you my number and you can call me and I can call you back or whatever and we can be smart together because I have 200 free minutes a month and I much prefer my landline which I understand

besides my thumbs are way to big for this stupid little keyboard

it took me about a half hour to type in my name and email address

i kept hitting backspace

and xxx for whatever

i learned to touch type in highschol and now i have to learn all over again with thumbs only

how are these kids going to work at an office keyboard? are they going to have to connect their phones to the computer and type from there? with just their thumbs?

Are you sure about the toads?

it sounds like a legend from the Black
Forest

i will google it

stay safe

i am going to go to beauty parlor and have my thumb nails filed into pencil points tomorrow

Here are some of the side effects of Dogs ingesting or licking toads skin...

Toad Poisoning in Dogs

Toad venom toxicity is relatively common in dogs. Being natural predators, it is common for dogs to catch toads in their mouths, thereby coming into contact with the toad's toxin, which the toad releases when it feels threatened. This highly toxic defense chemical is most often absorbed through the oral cavity membrane, but it may also enter the eyes, causing vision problems. Its effects are lethal if not treated immediately.

The two most important species of toad that are known for their toxic effects on pets are the Colorado River Toad (Bufo alvarius) and the Marine Toad (Bufo marinus). Most cases of poisoning are reported during the warmest weather months, when the toads are more active and humidity is high. In addition, pets typically come into contact with the Bufo toads during the very early morning hours, or after evening has set. These toads are omnivorous, eating both living creatures, such as insects and small rodents, and non-living food, such as pet food that has been left outdoors. Because of the latter, pets will often come into contact with these amphibians as they are eating from the animal's food dish. It is for this reason that it is recommended that pet food not be left outside in areas where Bufo toads live.

Symptoms and Types

Symptoms usually appear within a few seconds of the toad encounter and may include the following:

•Crying or other vocalization
•Pawing at the mouth and/or eyes
•Profuse drooling of saliva from the mouth
•Change in the color of membranes of the mouth – may be inflamed or pale
•Difficulty in breathing
•Unsteady movements
•Seizures
•High temperature
•Collapse

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
It is just AMAZING the stuff I have learned here at DR!!

DV8.. you are truely amazing for knowing this!!

The Responsible Pet Ownership Blog: Dogs and Toads Don't Make a Good Duo

obvious sign your dog caught a toad is foaming at the mouth. He may indicate his mouth is irritated by pawing at his mouth and shaking his head. A dog and toad encounter can leave the dog with mouth pain. Check his gums for inflammation or redness if he appears to be having pain in his mouth. If you suspect your dog caught a toad, you can flush his mouth with water from a garden hose. Try not to let the water run down his nose or throat by rinsing from the side of his mouth and holding his head down so the water runs out of his mouth. Gently rub the gums and inside of his mouth until the slimy feeling is gone.

Vomiting, weakness, appearing confused or disoriented, fever, labored breathing, seizures or diarrhea are signs your dog has been poisoned by a toad. Immediate medical treatment is required at this point. There is currently no series of tests a vet can run to determine if your dog has toad poisoning. Their best clue comes from an astute dog owner who either saw the encounter or recognized the signs, and by an abnormal heart rate found after an EKG. A hospitalized stay may be required that would include IV fluids, medication for pain, seizures, fever and stress as well as treating and controlling the dog's abnormal heartbeat.

SHARK WEEK?

a convention? in POP>

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm glad you and the dogs are ok. You scared me for a min. I think it was this week that I posted about one of my daughters doggies licking a toad and foaming at the mouth.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
MA, we talked about toads being poisonous to dogs few times. i know they foam at the mouth as a result of poisoning. i do not remember why or how, i just know. and i know that milk is a first aid in times of gastric issues. i also have vitamin K which is an antidote to most popular poison used at dogs here.

there is no power so street lights are not on and most specifically security lights of the neighbours are not on because they are saving power. we all have inversors on my street so i could turn on all the lights on the wall and outside of the building. normally i only keep one light on at night and i do not go crazy with turning on the lights when there is no street power.

thanks for thinking about me, MA. i had a plan already :) before going out i called miesposo and said: call me back in 5 minutes, if i do not pick up get costambar security up here. of course i'd be just as dead withing 5 minutes if someone was out there to attack me but there are chances they would be caught.

I way too lazy to come over to poison your dog! I'm sure most Dr1ers don't know where you live and if anyone does they would know your doggies are BIG and scary!!

I'm glad you and your Doggies are ok!! I'm going on Vacay and scared to be staying in the area I will be in Vancouver all alone!! lol.
I'm pretty sure i should feel more scared here but i don't!!!

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
before going out i called miesposo and said: call me back in 5 minutes, if i do not pick up get costambar security up here. of course i'd be just as dead withing 5 minutes if someone was out there to attack me but there are chances they would be caught.

Poor guy, I'd imagine he'd just start bringing you with him. Much easier, and less worry!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not think i feel scared. more, like, worried. aware that bad things can happen. apart from the theft of power meters the crime in our area is very low and the police patrols area frequently. nonetheless when you see something out of the ordinary it gets you thinking... we have good security system too, i'm safe alone ;) and the dogs get very protective of me.

i think miesposo is more concerned with different things. once i called him up when i had a migraine, i did not sound right so he had his brother come to check up on me. he took me directly to the hospital as i was in a really bad shape.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Either way DV, for a clever girl it is a bit dumb to think only DR1 members and posters lurk these boards. Being DR we quite probably have a number of sex tourists and frustrated sex tourists surfing the boards, even worse, it is the Internet.
A lot of people know you, where you work and some where you live. A few days after the photos thread announcing you are alone and a little vulnerable is not the brightest thing to do. I'm glad you are fine, and the dogs will be alright after a little feeling sorry for themselves, but we don't wanna hear about anything nasty happening to one of our members, yet alone a one as popular as you.
Maybe next time you title a thread 'Home Alone', it should be a discussion on McCauley.

Anyway, I know you are not going to appreciate advice, because for some reason, apparently you don't care, but some of us do.

Any idea how many rapes, burglaries, beating and possibly murders Faboo is responsible for?..
Just a thought.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
We had good security system too, we too, tought we were safe until the worst happened. I'm glag you are OK but i'm so glad we are out of the D.R. When we left, the only way I can express the way I felt is saying I had the greatest orgasm of my life

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is why i do not do FB apart from a cat group i take interest in.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I'm kind of on board with what Givadog said.
None of us really know who may be lurking.
The only thing we can know for sure is that someone will be lurking.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think you are overestimating this site. i am not worthy high class ladrones, i am not rico from la chismosa. you average thief most likely cannot read all that well at all. there is a difference between careful and paranoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.