"New" unlocked iPhone 3GS

gas

Jul 28, 2013
I'll be visiting from the US shortly and bought this phone as a gift for a relative. Now I'm wondering if I screwed up. I bought it from a reputable seller on eBay, but the thought didn't occur to me until after that he might have unlocked the phone himself without authorization from the carrier. I understand this is prevalent in the secondary iPhone market. I'm not all that tech savvy and I'm wondering if there will be a problem with Claro or whomever in activating it if it was improperly unlocked. Does anyone know?

Also, do all the DR carriers support the iPhone? Unfortunately, it's like the blind leading the blind... my relative knows little about this stuff. Thanks.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I brought down 2 3GSs - one was unlocked, the other locked to AT&T. The unlocked one just needed a chip, and the other Claro unlocked for me - I think it was about 500 pesos. You should have no trouble.

Sep 4, 2012
OP,

The one thing the DR and its people always strive to do is to reach far ahead from what they could actually afford. With that being said, anything as far as gadgets and technology available on the USA its available and usable in the DR. That includes the iPhones, all of them and yes, you can use the unlocked iPhone or have it unlocked for a few pesos.

They may not have monies to put food at the table but I bet you there is always money for the phone and re-charges.

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Haha, that is my impression if only from occasional trips.

dv8, I have no idea how it was unlocked, hence my concern. An afterthought unfortunately, though it seemingly won't make a difference.

OP,

The one thing the DR and its people always strive to do is to reach far ahead from what they could actually afford. With that being said, anything as far as gadgets and technology available on the USA its available and usable in the DR. That includes the iPhones, all of them and yes, you can use the unlocked iPhone or have it unlocked for a few pesos.

They may not have monies to put food at the table but I bet you there is always money for the phone and re-charges.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know there are many places that will unlock almost any phone for few dollars. but take it to both claro and orange just to make sure you can get the sim that will work.