Furniture Maker

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I want 2 of these benches for my breakfast area...

Coventry 48" Bench | Ballard Designs

I went online tonight to order them but they won't even be shipped from the factory until 9/20 if I order tonight! Then at least a week to arrive to Montero shipping, then 3-4 weeks to get to me and I don't have the patience for all of that.

Does anyone know of a furniture maker here in Santiago, or nearby (about 1.5 hours away max) that you think could duplicate these?

Thanks,
SHALENA

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Isn't Navarette the big furniture spot.
Ask around, you'll find somebody - start at the upholstery places and work backwards to the woodworkers.

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
In Santiago - Furniture

I have visited this shoppe a few times: Tapizamos - Reparacion y Fabricacion de Muebles C/Mella Esq. Salvador Cucurrullo STgo Rep Dom 829 583 3047 or cell 809 344 8781

They are behind the downtown Plaza Lama up the street..always have things sitting outside. Mostly rather nice quality, gave me a fair quote to build some pieces - in quantity for a special project. Friendly, too.

B

Last edited:

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
Also try La Casita - not cheap, but they will bargain if you are paying cash. Family owned. I dealt with Gilberto. Friendly, variable good to decent quality. Lots of interesting and unique things 809 226 .3011 . It is across from Verizon, just down the main highway Estrella Sadhalla - from Nacional Grocery.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There are several furniture manufacturers on the autopista south of Santiago.

Seconded about Navarette. Isn't that the heart of furniture making in the DR?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks everyone.
I just got in a taxi this morning and asked him to take me to a "fabrica de muebles", he took me to one on the autopista like going towards Santo Domingo. They had a few pieces out and a book of things that they have made. The girl there called the owner who was out, and he came right over. I showed him the picture from the Ballard Designs catalog and told him what I wanted and I got a nice surprise.
The 2 benches some Ballards that I wanted were 4 ft long and came to $1140 not including shipping to New York. So after our talk, I'm walking out of there with an order of a pure caoba table 6 ft. long, 2 fabric parsons benches 5ft long per bench with the fabric picked from his selection, and 2 end chairs of caoba and fabric that I showed him a pic from the internet how I wanted the 2 chairs (from IKEA website)....drumroll please.***********************
Total for all: $952 (40,000rd)

After getting that price, and such attentive customer service, they are also now making me a 1.) 4 table set (repisa, coffee table, and 2 end tables) for my formal living room 2.) Entertainment Center for the informal living room and 3.) Desk for the kids computer in the living room upstairs.

When they are done with the table, benches, and chairs I will take photos and try to upload them here.

Thanks guys,
SHALENA

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
SKing - the Queen of all - none of us will say " I told you so !!! "

How does the famous saying go ??
The hard things are easy, the easy things difficult and the impossible happens fast...

I know I blew that...