alternatives to sosua

mok95

Aug 10, 2013
I am currently staying at sosua. It is a nice place, but as far as I hace seen, the night has a definite sex for tourists thing to it.

I have a few more days left in DR, and I was looking for suggestions on where to go next. I am traveling alone, and I am looking for something closer to a local Dominican experience, than something made for tourists. Relaxed during the day, and fun music with locals dancing at night, that type of thing.

any recommendations most welcome. I was in samana last week by the way. Thanks in advance.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't wish Santo Dominog on anyone. Santiago is OK and you might like Monte Christi , the far west of the North Coast.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
You have only a few days left and trying to think what is around that might meet your request. If you don't have a rental then that will narrow down some of these. After you Google and want more info about the area and places to stay. Please ask. I'm sure that a local DR1 person can help you out.

Monte Cristi About 1.5 hours going west.
Jarabacoa About 1.5 hours inland, south.
Carbarete Just down the road east.
Samana About...???? I have no idea to the east.
Puerto Plata Just down the road to the west.

May 29, 2006
You might check out Cabrera, which you can get to from Sosua by big bus. Better ocean views and Playa Grande isn't far. Some nice expat bars there and very chill.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Go to Puerto Plata, maybe there's something going on already in Gangrejo. Ask the publicos. Generally, as a Gringo you never know where's the party.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Rio San Juan is easier to navigate than Cabrera...... Gaspar Hernandez is another and closer to you

Both have beaches -- Cabrera has none w/o a car