Moving to Dominican Republic

Jo Jo Caro

Aug 11, 2013
I am a American from the USA and want to move to Santo Domingo and want to know the Best neighborhoods to look for a house to rent or buy some one said Los Cacicazgos and also Arroyo Hondo all information will be help full for my move and also will be looking for a Real Estate agent that knows the areas and specks English
Thanks for the help

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
If you would like to be close to stores, restaurants, I recommend El Millon.
I have family that live there and you'll be close to the 27 de Febrero which
is the main avenue where you will find a myriad of stores, supermarkets,
eateries within walking distance.

El Mirador del Sur is about 35 minutes away(walking distance). It is a park
where you can enjoy long hours of leisure and jogging.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Why everyone arriving here wants to live in Santo Domingo ??? Big city with polution and high crime rate...

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
There are quite a few people lately that want to move to the DR but it appears they have never been here before. How can one decide to move to a place without visiting the place and making a decision based on research and experiences? I can understand if one gets transferred for work but otherwise.....maybe its just me? I have taken 9 years of travelling to different places before I decided on the DR. I guess I am just too overly cautious?

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
There are quite a few people lately that want to move to the DR but it appears they have never been here before. How can one decide to move to a place without visiting the place and making a decision based on research and experiences? I can understand if one gets transferred for work but otherwise.....maybe its just me? I have taken 9 years of travelling to different places before I decided on the DR. I guess I am just too overly cautious?

....although I did make my decision in a way on about trip number 5 or 6....year 2.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011

Maybe they took Charlise advise and used the INTERNET! Hhahaha

Jo Jo Caro

Aug 11, 2013
I am a American from the USA and want to move to Santo Domingo and want to know the Best neighborhoods to look for a house to rent or buy some one said Los Cacicazgos and also Arroyo Hondo all information will be help full for my move and also will be looking for a Real Estate agent that knows the areas and specks English
Thanks for the help

I have been to Dominican lots of times just looking to find the best area to Live in Santo Domingo and the web can help me narrow my search

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
thanks for the help loking for the best area to move to

Please give a little background with your experiences and reasons for moving and you will get a better response. There are plenty of people who just show up on the site, out of the blue, ask for advice and take the thread on a path to nowhere (like this one). A little familiarity goes a long way to getting proper advice.

I live on the North coast so unfortunately I cannot help you.

Jo Jo Caro

Aug 11, 2013
I moved to Costa Rica 8 years ago its just time to change country's and want to be in Santo Domingo

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
ok the only problem is that real estate agents here will only show you the listings that they have,. There is no multiple listing service. So it is really hard to find the neighborhood that you like. The best thing that you can do it to get yourself settled in an apartment hotel or something like that .. a short term rental and go around a bit and see which areas suit you. We would have to know a lot more about your lifestyle and what you are planning on doing.. Which you may not want to reveal..

Arroyo Hondo is about 20 minutes from the heart of the City.

Casigascies is low density and great for families.

If you are single and want to go out at night.. then think of Piantini or Naco

If you are older and value the lEnglish library, being near the Malecon and the sea and old trees and walkable streets, think Gazcue.

If you are artistic, like the night life, like the tourist scene and cafes, think the Zona

If you have kids, figure out where they are going to school and find that first.

Real estate agents really do not bother with rentals much as they only make one month's commission.

Listin Diario is a good bet but shoe leather is better.

Rent before you buy. Rent before you buy. Rent Rent Rent

Renting furnished is available all over .. Super Casas will show the most expesnsive ones but some of the nicest.

I live in Gazcue. My second choice would be Gazcue. etc.

furnished one bedrooms start at 4
$450 ...

two bedrooms around $650

Unfurnished are much cheaper but come without a fridge or a stove or a gas tank or light fixtures.

They often ask for a fiador.. a Dominican guarantor. Laugh at them and show them two months worth of dollar bills and say that is all the guarantee you have. See if that works.

PM me when you get to twon and we can meet for coffee

in Gazcue. Of course.

Jo Jo Caro

Aug 11, 2013
I have a Dominican Girl friend with 2 boys and would want a family area and maybe a park close by and be able to feel safe in my neighborhood and yes would like to rent first to find the right area for me

Sep 4, 2012
How much can you afford in rent and the house purchase? That would give us better picture to recommend places and neighborhoods.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
best bet is to move to the bronx because thats what it looks like i hate the bronx the traffic the people on top of people i see why every body run to the bronx when they leave dr truth is when i do a job in the bronx my tummy hurt no lie but just hotel jump every where in dr for a month and then ask dr1 would this place be good or this place or that place

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Welcome to DR1 and the DR!

First of all:

If you plan to move to the DR, do yourself a favor and don't rent in the nicest area you can afford!

This will only give you a very false image of what the DR is really like and the normal dangers/lifestyle you must assimilate into.

I don't mean that you must rent in a bad place, just not the best your money can afford right off the bat. I learned this the hard way a long time ago. I'd lived in many countries for periods longer than a year and the first time I made the big mistake of renting where I could afford the best area.

I crashed soon after when reality and paid for reality met face to face!

What you need to be looking for in the DR, are nice upper middle class areas where to rent first. Not the upper class areas where you can afford to fake into the image.

This will allow you to understand what living in the DR is. A big difference from what visiting or staying for long vacations can compare to.

After you stay in that area for a year or so, then move to another area of the city on the same or a bit better off from the last one. Do that and I promise you that within three years, you'll need nothing from any other person to tell you where you must live at.

A good measure of renting would be some three years, to get a full grasp of the city you want to live at. Very low risk and affordable.

After that, it's your choice to rent or buy. From personal experience, unless you plan to live for over close to ten years in a certain city, renting makes better financial sense over buying. Unless you can find a great opportunity from a relative or close person too good to let pass.

Living in Santo Domingo will afford you all the conveniences of what any large city of comparable development can offer. On the low end, it will also offer you all the bad stuff bigger cities have to muster at you.

It all depends on your likes and age for the most part. Younger people prefer SD over smaller cities like Santiago. Older people look to the rural areas or the coast. The rich and can afford at will, opt to live behind a well guarded and still open complex with all the needs at your calling.