Car on fire last night between Encuentro and Perla Marina

arnold67

Aug 29, 2012
A friend told me he saw a car completely on fire last night around 3am, does anybody have news about this accident?

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Let's hope it was an accident and not an incident where a body is placed
in a car and set on fire.:cross-eye. But either way it is horrific and I hope
nobody was in the car.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A really bad accident. Condolences to the families. I found out about it by talking to Edenorte.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
even diario libre has the story: Dos muertos y tres heridos en accidente, en Sos?a, Puerto Plata - DiarioLibre.com

every time i read something like this it reminds me to drive slower :(

I think that one of the people involved in that accident is a daughter of a Diputado.

Yes, one of the injured Indira Ramos Soliz, is the daughter of La Vega diputado Radham?s Ramos Garc?a.

It had been raining, the road on the corner was wet and slippery, and they were likely going much too fast in that Toyota Camry.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
camry is a very powerful car. you do not even know you are going fast.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
camry is a very powerful car. you do not even know you are going fast.

Last I checked they came with speedometers just for that very purpose. I still use mine even after having a car here for 10 years. Being Dominican, they probably never developed the need to check theirs.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Last I checked they came with speedometers just for that very purpose. I still use mine even after having a car here for 10 years. Being Dominican, they probably never developed the need to check theirs.

Just curious...which corner did this accident happen on, as i tend to exceed the speed of sound from Cabarete to Sosua almost daily. There are no corners i've yet to find to slow down for...only animals and other unidentifiable moving objects which i sometimes run over. The only corner i can think of is the bend in front of Perla Marina, but of course, that is not really a corner.

I once killed a bat with my hand. It stuck to my brake handle at 90mph. i will post the picture.

Frank

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
many people do not look at speedometer at all, there are enough things on the road to keep your eyes busy.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have to defer the exact location to someone who knows what pole and tranformer they replaced, but I think it was close to the entrance to Encuentro since Edenorte told me it was at Coconut Palms.

You missed one bad curve. The most dangerous "bend in the road" is the one just past Punta Goleta while coming from Cabarete. That actually is a blind corner and local drivers being what they are frequently try and pass on that corner. Please keep right when approaching that corner. There trucks parked almost in the road and there are people hanging on the edge of the road by the fruit stand and the motorcycle repair much of the time.

The most dangerous stretch of the road is the part from just after that bend through the entrance to Encuentro. It is where people really come up to mach speed and when they then need to pass a slow moto while an on coming vehicle is also passing a moto - BAM! It happens a lot. An extreme amount of accidents for such a straight piece of road.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
many people do not look at speedometer at all, there are enough things on the road to keep your eyes busy.

True, but then those people are not what I would call good drivers to begin with. They never learned to constantly check speed, mirrors and keep a safe distance. Nobody ever praises the driving skills of people here other than to say they are amazed there are not more accidents.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
This bat hit my hand/clutch lever at 90mph as i was approaching Perla Marina after work at 1am. I felt it hit me, but i did not know that it had stuck to my clutch lever/hand brake (i can't remember which side) becuase it was pitched dark outside and i just assumed it was a UFO that had struck my hand. Nevertheless, the next morning one of the motorcycle mechanics found it completely stuck to my clutch lever or hand brake lever and left it there in order to show it to me.

DSC03006_zpse943af6c.jpg

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I have to defer the exact location to someone who knows what pole and tranformer they replaced, but I think it was close to the entrance to Encuentro since Edenorte told me it was at Coconut Palms.

You missed one bad curve. The most dangerous "bend in the road" is the one just past Punta Goleta while coming from Cabarete. That actually is a blind corner and local drivers being what they are frequently try and pass on that corner. Please keep right when approaching that corner. There trucks parked almost in the road and there are people hanging on the edge of the road by the fruit stand and the motorcycle repair much of the time.

The most dangerous stretch of the road is the part from just after that bend through the entrance to Encuentro. It is where people really come up to mach speed and when they then need to pass a slow moto while an on coming vehicle is also passing a moto - BAM! It happens a lot. An extreme amount of accidents for such a straight piece of road.

Yes, that is indeed a very dangerous corner becuase people are also crossing there all of the time to go to the fruit stand/colmado. I don't press the Flux Capacitor button and take off for warp drive until i've passed La Cinega and gotten onto that stretch of no man's land until Coconut Palms. From there on, i just close my eyes and try to conserve the precious rubber on my tires by remaining just above the pavement--with as little actual contact with the asphalt as possible until i get to the Coastal gas station. I call this important driving principle "Economy of Time."

It has the least amount of "Drag Coefficient" as possible.

Frank

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think i may be a cobarde. now i have a more powerful car yet i drive it slower because it can do more damage. i just do not see the need to drive fast.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Just curious...which corner did this accident happen on, as i tend to exceed the speed of sound from Cabarete to Sosua almost daily. There are no corners i've yet to find to slow down for...only animals and other unidentifiable moving objects which i sometimes run over. The only corner i can think of is the bend in front of Perla Marina, but of course, that is not really a corner.

I once killed a bat with my hand. It stuck to my brake handle at 90mph. i will post the picture.

Frank

Frank, The OP mentioned between Encuentro and Perla Marina.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I drove that stretch of road less than 5 minutes prior to the accident. The road condition/visibility was fine and at that time of morning only a few cars. And of course several motos with no lights as usual.

As I was getting out of the car at home, the lights went off... which I am told is when the accident occurred.
Sad loss of life. Condolences to the family.