Thanksgiving in DR

R

Roxanne

Hola!
Just wanted to share my excitement with you all...I am leaving for Puerto Plata tomorrow morning and staying in Rio San Juan for 1 week to visit boyfriend and friends. I hope to find a turkey for a thanksgiving dinner, I've packed my cranberry sauce! Have a great weekend! Happy Thanksgiving!

Roxanne

T

trina

Yes, this Monday is when Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving. Happy Thanksgiving to all other Canucks, and have a great trip, Roxanne.

E

ECH, MD.

Hey Criss, as you know....many Dominicans (my friends included) celebrate Thanksgiving! Give a Dominican any excuse for a party and we are off and running......

BTW: Roxanne did not need to bring her own cranberry sauce. After a couple of years, finally found out where the supermarkets stock it on the shelf....in the area with STEAK SAUCE, WOSTERSHIRE SAUCE, SOY SAUCE ETC. and all the explaination in the world to the manager did not get the point across....SAUCE IS SAUCE was his reply! Oh well. Now the hard thing to find is YAMS for Candied Yams with marshmellow topping. Not Thanksgiving without that!!! Good Grief.....T-Day is not that far away!!!

T

Tony Castaneira

Never had a problem finding a Turkey. Most of the supermarkets carry them. I usually picked up a Butterball. I guess if you live in the boonies like Puerto Plata or Samana you would have a problem.

Tony

E

ECH, MD.

THOUGHT SANTIAGO WAS IN THE BOONIES ALSO

BOY! Going to get it from Hillbilly now!!!!!
You can take the boy out of the country.....
but you can't take the country out of the boy!!! LOL

M

mrbean

Re: Thanksgiving in DR, found a turkey!

It only took going to 5 grocery stores... No luck on the yams, but have lots of cranberry sauce, pumkin pie filling and a bird the size of a small child...

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

E

ECH, M.D.

WELL, WHAT THE HELL TIME IS DINNER? BE RIGHT OVER *DC*

H

hillbilly

What do you mean no "yams" Use batatas!

They bake wonderfully well, can be eaten with butter and marshmellows, too.....When in Rome???

HB

H

hlywud

HB and ECH "Thanksgiving in Canada"

A nice stuffed butterball turkey in the oven along with a small smoked ham basted with honey, yams candied waiting to join them along with baked the potatoes. The pumpkins pies are cooling beside the apple crumb cake, beer and wine is cold, home made cranberry sauce is ready, just waiting for the family to arrive to partake in an annual feast.
Doc and HB you would be certainly WELCOME here.

E

ECH, M.D.

INVITATION APPRECIATED

Thanks for the invite......wish I could be there to enjoy to good food, good companionship and the good conversation. In fact, if HB goes, I NEED TO BE THERE, so I can translate; he speaks with an accent you know.....being from West BY GOD Virginia! LOL Cheers and Best Wishes for the day.

M

mrbean

Re: What do you mean no "yams" Use batatas!

Thanks, we tried them, and although they were sort of greenish, they were tasty. Next time we will double the butter, though. They were much drier than sweet potatoes... luckily, I couldn't find ANY brussel sprouts ;-)

C

criss colon

Re: What do you mean no "yams" Use batatas!

super mercado national has yams,sweet potatoes. Criss, and cranberry sause(jellied)