Possible new scam

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not that I have any personal experience with this, or that it has happened in the Dominican Republic, BUT this was reported to me by a friend:

HOTEL SCAM

Anyone with some sense would not give personal info on the phone, but could still get caught by this one.
PLEASE PASS ALONG TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS

Hotel/Motel Scam (This one is so simple it is shocking)

You arrive at your hotel and check in at the front desk. When checking in, you give the front desk your credit card (for all the charges for your room). You get to your room and settle in.

Someone calls the front desk and asks (for example) Room 620 - which happens to be your room. The phone rings in your room.� You answer and the person on the other end says the following:

'This is the front desk. When checking in, we came across a problem with your charge card information. Please re-read your credit card number and verify the last 3 digits on the reverse side of your charge card.'

Not thinking anything, you might give this person this information, since the call seems to come from the front desk. But actually, it is a scam of someone calling from outside the hotel/front desk.

They ask for a random room number. Then, ask you for credit card information and address information. They sound so professional, that you give it to them, thinking you are talking to the front desk.

If you ever encounter this problem on your vacation, tell the caller that you will be down at the front desk to clear up any problems.

Then, go to the front desk and ask if there was a problem.
If there was none, inform the manager of the hotel that someone called to scam you of your credit card information, acting like a front desk employee.

This was sent by someone who has been duped........ and is still cleaning up the mess.

P.S. Please, consider spreading the word by forwarding this e-mail.

Who knows, you might just help someone avoid a nasty experience.

ANYONE traveling should be aware of this.�

BEWARE and Be aware!

Cordially,

HB

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
Never ceases to amaze me...the scams which are used to get Credit Card info......personally I manage to live my life without one and use a Debit Card if necessary but my bank has, at my request, placed restrictions on it.
Lets hope your post saves someone from a whole heap of trouble.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have been using credit cards for a very long time here in the country, once or twice per week, but only at big supermarkets. I've had only two problems in 11 years.

May 29, 2006
I've never been in a hotel in the DR with a phone, but I can see it happening. Also, with the DR I always pay cash for a discount.