Sosua Landfill Issues

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

Near the neighborhoods La Uni?n and Villa Liberaci?n is a landfill where the garbage is dumped of whole Sos?a. The dirt is deposited and then spread with a bulldozer and covered with soil at irregular intervals. By vandalism and scalding frequently large parts of the dirt are on fire. Because there is a lot of plastic between the dirt, on burning, toxic fumes (dioxin) are released which then blows over the two neighborhoods. Many residents of La Uni?n and Villa Liberaci?n therefore suffer from respiratory diseases. They also think that cancer makes more victims in these neighborhoods. The mayor Ilana Neumann takes these issues very seriously but does not have the resources to tackle it adequately. There is no money for modern incinerators.

The mayor now has requested President Danilo Medina to provide the resort town Sos?a with financial succor in purchasing incinerators.
Video: YouTube

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Why don't they start recycling plastic and glass ??? Maybe I should start a recycling company with government money ?? You think I could get rich ??

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you would. but you'd need lot of money to start and lot of backup among politicians. i posted a story few months ago about a really small recycling plant started with international aid help, in SD. the cost of establishing that business was 200k dollars. and i presume it involved minimum machinery because recycling machines are expensive. but yeah, there is money to be made on the stuff.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Plastic bottles are bad but if they are burning cell phones, televisions and other electrical stuff it must smell nasty over there. Not to mention having unlined dumps mess up the ecosystem for miles.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the irony is that all this b**ching about health comes from exactly the same people who will use 20 plastic bags to pack you small shopping in a supermarket...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was in carrefour the other week (great place). bought one small coke and a pack of croissants. the dude packed them separately, in two bags. i say: por favor, solo una funda. and he put a bag with coke into a bag with croissants. god help.

May 29, 2006
It wasn't that long ago that people used woven baskets made from palm leaves or a fishnet sack, the only coffee you could get was in a real cup, and sodas came in glass bottles. They save a couple pennies up front and pass the costs down the road. Definitely bringing reusable bags next time. Each one can hold as much as four or five plastic ones and they won't break if you put a gallon jug in them.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
A cooking pot cover.

the irony is that all this b**ching about health comes from exactly the same people who will use 20 plastic bags to pack you small shopping in a supermarket...

But if they didn't give out plastic bags, what would Dominicans use to cook the rice? :ermm:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
But if they didn't give out plastic bags, what would Dominicans use to cook the rice? :ermm:

and as rubbish bins? as make shift hats when it rains? as basic material for chichiguas? to help tighten loose bottle caps?

interim888

Oct 2, 2019
I suppose that we are in 2020 and the problem is still here... Does anyone felt the strong smell of burning plastic yesterday at night? (PerlaMarina area), could be the smoke from that Sosua landfill or it is located too far? Anyway it was something big cause the smell lasted for the whole night. It happens quite often, this smell at night.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I suppose that we are in 2020 and the problem is still here... Does anyone felt the strong smell of burning plastic yesterday at night? (PerlaMarina area), could be the smoke from that Sosua landfill or it is located too far? Anyway it was something big cause the smell lasted for the whole night. It happens quite often, this smell at night.
I would say the dump is too far away for you to smell it. It's located the other side of Sosua near the airport.

Reactions: interim888

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Nothing wrong with that if it’s on topic
I get that. It's just that under the previous administration anytime a 10 year or older post was resurrected it seemed that the trolls where in action.
It is kinda funny that the original issue is still an issue 13 years later.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I get that. It's just that under the previous administration anytime a 10 year or older post was resurrected it seemed that the trolls where in action.
Funny I was thinking the exact same thing.
Progress is a slow process down here.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Like AE said, If it's resurrected by a spammer it gets nuked. If it's on topic it usually stays. I think Robert used to blow away anything old that was resurrected, spam or not.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Wasn't the original post 2013 ? Where are the 17 years?
But as much as I hate the smell of burning plastic it sure doesn't reach Perla Marina. Any burning smell out there is more likely nearby.
I guess I was having one of those days when I'm thinking left and typing right. Thanks for catching that.