Barahona to Cabarete

Yuke

Aug 12, 2013
Hi,

I'm planning a trip to the Dominican Republic in early December for 12 days.

Flying into Santo Domingo renting a car and driving to Barahona for 2 nights.

I also have plans to visits the Samana area for a couple of nights.

I've been to the Dominican a couple of times but more of the resort vacation. This time I'd like to see more of the real DR.

From Barahona I was thinking of heading north to Cabarete.

What I'm wondering is whether I would be better off driving back to Santo Domingo and then up to Cabarete or if I could head north from Barahona with perhaps a stop in Jarabacoa or Constanza and then on to Cabarete.

From Cabarete I thought I'd drive down the coast perhaps stopping for a night as I head towards Samana.

Any suggestions on areas to visit are certainly welcome.

This goal on this trip is to see a good amount of the country with the idea that I'd come back next time and spend more time in those areas I liked best.

Thanks!

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
You are trying to cover a whole lot of ground in 12 days. Your best bet is to go back via Santo Domingo and get on the main highway north. Then take the back way around STI to Cabarete. The road highway 41 looks like a road on the map but it's not good in many spots. It just takes forever to get to Jarabacoa that way. We had donkeys pulling us out of the mud.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
From Cabarette to Samana is an easy drive but why don't you spend a night in Cabrera if you want to see what a non tourist town is like.