Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Traffic Death Rates In Dominican Republic Among Highest In The World

Traffic Death Rates In Dominican Republic Among Highest In The World

Such accidents, in fact, are shaping up as a major health crisis in this 11 million-person country. The Dominican Republic is effectively the deadliest nation anywhere for drivers, second only to the tiny South Pacific island of Niue, where each death among its roughly 1,400 inhabitants spikes the fatality average. For every 100,000 inhabitants in the Dominican Republic, 42 die every year from traffic accidents, according to the World Health Organization.

Dominican officials believe a lethal mix of alcohol, speed and blatant disregard for traffic laws is to blame. On a recent weekend, police stopped more than 460 motorcycles and 170 cars in the capital of Santo Domingo, issuing tickets mostly for driving the wrong way or running red lights.

go figure

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

It's like playing a game of dodge ball here in Jarabacoa with the motos coming from the left and right, back and front and that's on the one ways. I swear most of these young guys have a death wish.

3. Likes Sunbiz1 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

This news should not be surprising in a country where directional signals are optional and the horn acts as a brake. In Las Terrenas it is like driving in a video game. Crazy but fun.

LTSteve

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

My driving skilz have increased exponentially driving cars and motorcycles (not motos) here in the DR the last 5 years.

There is a pattern to the chaos and it behooves one to learn that pattern and integrate it into how you drive.

If you'd like a free eBook about driving in the DR, frop me a PM with your e-addy. It's target motorcycles, but applies to cars as well.

6. Likes Sunbiz1 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

This topic has been discussed in two separate threads. I have read the report and it is not based on real statistics and is therefore not trustworthy. I expect is is easier for WHO to classify many "third world" countries alike, hence the problem.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that news really surprising to anyone who has spent time in DR?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    This topic has been discussed in two separate threads. I have read the report and it is not based on real statistics and is therefore not trustworthy. I expect is is easier for WHO to classify many "third world" countries alike, hence the problem.
    Sorry, Chip, you're wrong.

While I have zero faith in the WHO, I have seen the states, generated from a study by both the Dept. of health and Insurance companies and it mirrors the WHO findings. Would not surprise me if they got their info from that study.

I think I posted it once before.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Sorry, Chip, you're wrong.

While I have zero faith in the WHO, I have seen the states, generated from a study by both the Dept. of health and Insurance companies and it mirrors the WHO findings. Would not surprise me if they got their info from that study.

I think I posted it once before.
    Please post your references so that I can review them.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to be kidding!!

This can only be for folks who have not visited or driven in other non-US, UK, Europe type countries.

Try Nairobi-Mombasa, Karachi (the very worst I've ever seen) India, Abidjan,St Petersburg,KInshasa,Lagos,Paris, Milan, Peru, so I'm told, etc etc.etc..

Driving here in the DR is only difficult if you come from the American continent or somewhere equally sterile.
    The rest of us are used to it....DR is pretty easy, stay alert and defensive.

Statistics are statistically manipulated

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Please post your references so that I can review them.
    Go look it up, Chip, if you are truly concerned. It's there.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast