Pro-Dominicanism

Sep 4, 2012
The anti-thesis from another thread but with a spin.

For foreigners Americans/Europeans for the most part and to include any others, do you consider your family members born in the DR as Dominicans?

Do they feel Dominican?

Do they feel as foreigners?

Your turn.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I have a younger half brother and a younger half sister. Brother was born in DR, sister was born in the US. Both of them were raised in the US and came to live in DR as teenagers. They both have dual citizenship, and for the most part talk, act and think as foreigners. But both take it as an insult if you tell them they are not dominican.
On a curious development, last year the boy, after 15 years living in DR, decided (and he said so on those terms) that he was more gringo than dominican and took off, he now lives in Minnesota. He's now talking about coming back, also.

To me, they are both dominican. Why would you not consider someone born in the DR as dominican? If someone born in DR has a problem with that, then he or she must have deeper personality problems.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My children were both born in USA [NY & NJ], their father was born in DR. They both consider themselves Dominican.

Their father has lived in NY/NJ since he was 27, he's 65 now. He has been an American citizen for 32 years. Ask him what he is, and he will answer "Dominican" without a second's hesitation.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
The anti-thesis from another thread but with a spin.

For foreigners Americans/Europeans for the most part and to include any others, do you consider your family members born in the DR as Dominicans?

Do they feel Dominican?

Do they feel as foreigners?

Your turn.

Ask Chip!!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My family members were born in the DR and are Dominican and I had nothing to do with that since it happened before I met them.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
I have an adopted family, all born in the DR, and they all consider themselves Dominicans.

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
So you are telling me that after you adopted them they still wont take your nationality???

They must be very selfish.

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
So you are telling me that after you adopted them they still wont take your nationality???

They must be very selfish.
Cant see anything wrong with their remaining Dominican.....did any of the adoptive parent members actually say they REFUSED to change their Nationality?....did they say they wanted them to change their Nationality?
Clearly anyone can see that if the childrens Nationality had been an issue then they simply would have NOT adopted them
Wasn,t aware that adopted children had to PAY BACK the adoptive parents in any way, shape or form.
So why can you judge them as SELFISH....gather all the facts before forming an opinion

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
Yea but I was born and raised in the United States and I think of myself as an American Jilly. Can you see that as selfish?

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
This is 53, I will gain access to the upper echelon of the "off topic" forums in no time. Can you see that as shellfish???

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
Were you adopted boknows????
Children are adopted throughout the world and many are taken away from their native country...is it right for any of us to completely erase their identity by transforming them into something that deep down they are not????
You have said it yourself...you were born Stateside and consider yourself as an American...maybe some of these Dominican children will always consider themselves as Dominican????
That does not mean that they will not make a childless family feel any less complete does it?
Surely the love given and accepted between members of these families does not rely on Nationality.
I am kinda thinking that maybe Selfish was not the ideal word for getting your point across.
No offence intended j

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not understand the question. miesposo was born in DR, and lived here all his life. he is dominican. i consider him dominican. he considers himself dominican. who else could be be? should he suddenly become polish now he's married to me? on what basis? you are what you eat, that kind of thing?

Sep 4, 2012
i do not understand the question. miesposo was born in DR, and lived here all his life. he is dominican. i consider him dominican. he considers himself dominican. who else could be be? should he suddenly become polish now he's married to me? on what basis? you are what you eat, that kind of thing?

In terms of extended family as of in your case, do you have a son daughter born in the DR from your marriage?

Would they be considered Dominicans by you/husband?

Would they themselves feel Dominican/Foreigners?