suicides in DR

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
The people I`ve known who have ended up taking their own lives it`s either been because of love or debt. Most of them have been men!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yesterday's DR1 News:
Suicides on the rise
The number of suicide cases, mainly involving men, has increased by 57% over the last nine years, for various reasons.
The methods used are usually hanging, accounting for 52% of the cases between 2003 and 2012, followed by 21.3% who poisoned themselves and 20.2% who shot themselves. Women are more likely to use poison and men more likely to use firearms.
A report issued by the National Statistics Office (ONE) shows that whilst suicides are less dramatic than car accidents, and do not make the news like homicides, they represent lives cut short by personal suffering.
According to a report by the World Health Organization (WHO), for the World Suicide Prevention Day, around 3000 people kill themselves each day worldwide, and for each one who succeeds another 20 attempt suicide.
The WHO data shows that in 2012, 638 Dominicans killed themselves, one more than the previous year, but the number of cases from 2003 to 2012 shows a 57% increase. In 2012, 84.5% of the victims were male, but the number of women is also increasing, from 48 cases in 2003 to 99 in 2007.
The analysis shows that suicide in the Dominican Republic is more prevalent among young people with more than half aged between 20 and 44 (53.3%) and 32.5% between 20 and 34. However, young women between 15 and 19 are responsible for 12.4% of female suicides whereas men in the same age group barely account for 6%.
Aumentan 57% casos de suicidios en nueve a?os - listindiario.com

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
and they continue the subject in today's newspaper as well:
Expertos analizan el aumento de las tasas de suicidios - DiarioLibre.com

Great article. Basically the reasons are a more materialistic society that puts pressure on young people to succeed monetarily and also because of moral bankruptcy and the rejection of the "tradici?n judeo cristiana.

Regarding the former I have witnessed this myself among young men, ie it is difficult to find a girlfriend because they are not considered well off enough even though they have a full time job.

As long as Dominican youth continue to be enamored by the American materialistic lifestyle and worthless music these problems can't get any better.

Dec 26, 2011
Great article. Basically the reasons are a more materialistic society that puts pressure on young people to succeed monetarily and also because of moral bankruptcy and the rejection of the "tradici?n judeo cristiana.

Regarding the former I have witnessed this myself among young men, ie it is difficult to find a girlfriend because they are not considered well off enough even though they have a full time job.

As long as Dominican youth continue to be enamored by the American materialistic lifestyle and worthless music these problems can't get any better.

It's the Church that's taken the position as sole moral arbiter in the country. I agree there's a pervasive moral bankruptcy. One left by the spiritual vacuum created by meaningless traditions and the materialistic example of their religious leaders.

Last edited:

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
I basically agree with Chip.

If I am not mistaken, suicide rates are higher in industrialized/developed nations than they are in undeveloped nations. The modern, capitalistic, go-go world creates pressures to succeed financially. As a place develops along this capitalistic/materialistic continuum, suicides seem to increase. The DR is a developing nation. The middle class is growing. Every schlub wants a house or a condo and a car and an iPhone and a washer and a dryer and all of that takes cuarto. If you don't have the cuarto, you feel bad and unfortunately, some prone, mentally ill, or vulnerable people will off themselves as a result.

Welcome to the first world dream. If you want the junk that accompanies "modern" living, you have to accept all the problems that come with it.

I think suicide rates in the DR are lower than they are in the US but the opposite is true regarding murder rates.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I basically agree with Chip.

If I am not mistaken, suicide rates are higher in industrialized/developed nations than they are in undeveloped nations. The modern, capitalistic, go-go world creates pressures to succeed financially. As a place develops along this capitalistic/materialistic continuum, suicides seem to increase. The DR is a developing nation. The middle class is growing. Every schlub wants a house or a condo and a car and an iPhone and a washer and a dryer and all of that takes cuarto. If you don't have the cuarto, you feel bad and unfortunately, some prone, mentally ill, or vulnerable people will off themselves as a result.

Welcome to the first world dream. If you want the junk that accompanies "modern" living, you have to accept all the problems that come with it.

I think suicide rates in the DR are lower than they are in the US but the opposite is true regarding murder rates.

Well said.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It's the Church that's taken the position as sole moral arbiter in the country. I agree there's a pervasive moral bankruptcy. One left by the spiritual vacuum created by meaningless traditions and the materialistic example of their religious leaders.

Politically correct but lacking in substance and comprehension of Dominican culture.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013

I thought this problem was only prevalent here in the US. It's disappointing to see this happening here. We need youth to lead a new generation of prosperity and leadership.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hmm... i do not think people in DR commit suicide because they have no money for the washing machine or a car. they have no money full stop. they cannot pay the rent, the bills, simple cost of living. when you read about suicides for economical reasons this usually happens in the poorest areas. those people do not strive to keep up with the kuntdashians. they strive to keep on living.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I doubt the church has much to do with it. In fact, it's prolly kept people off the ledge.

It's hilarious to hear someone blaming the church.

It's got nothing to do with a spiritual vacuum. It has to do with economics and many in dire straits feeling helpless in their ability to control their lives.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
those people do not strive to keep up with the kuntdashians.
Wait one darn second, girl.

Trailer Park Kardashians
is THE most profound show on television today, an inspiration to many millions of subhumans...

I think it's on now. Gotta go...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
hmm... i do not think people in DR commit suicide because they have no money for the washing machine or a car. they have no money full stop. they cannot pay the rent, the bills, simple cost of living. when you read about suicides for economical reasons this usually happens in the poorest areas. those people do not strive to keep up with the kuntdashians. they strive to keep on living.

I thought you said you barely spoke Spanish???

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
It's in full force here unfortunately.

That's sad.

I think the core of the problem revolves around education and the little emphasis youth place on an education when money matters more to them as a means of getting ahead in life.

And lack of education there is something I'm surprised is also happening there given what I've read here about the decent school system.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
That's sad.

I think the core of the problem revolves around education and the little emphasis youth place on an education when money matters more to them as a means of getting ahead in life.

And lack of education there is something I'm surprised is also happening there given what I've read here about the decent school system.
The public school system is bad, that's why the proliferation of private schools.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It's the crap music and Facebook where all their primos are showing off their stuff in NY. I see it every day in the family. This is what is driving crime as well. There are very few good examples for youth today, and that goes for the US as well. It will only get worse as the DR becomes more secular and it's laws as well. In the liberal world, this is called "progression".

Dec 26, 2011
That's sad.

When you hear the term "education" mentioned in RD it's usually in the context of $$$. Sadly, with few shining exceptions, learning for the love of it is uncommon. This situation is not unique to the country, but it's damaging just the same.