American Airlines / US Airways merger in doubt

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
American Airlines is professional in Monopoly, I think that is the best to stoped and do not let be the bigest, will kill other airlines and then customers will pay very hight price for tickets.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I believe it was two direct flights from NYC that were eliminated. One to Santo Domingo and the other to Santiago. Flights from MIA are still available.

That s correct ! No direct flights from NYC on AA (****ed of because I have quite a few miles from them).

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I switched to Jet Blue about 5 years ago, never missed AA after that.
The "Suit" is just a "Show" from Obama's man at the Dept. Of Justice, Atty Gen. Eric Holder, to make the American public think they are trying to protect them from "Big Business"!
My money is still on the merger.
The alternative is that AA goes "Belly Up", (No Pun Intended) and there would be even LESS competition in the airline industry.

cc

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
If you have flexibility you can do well with tickets, not having to pay $700. I just booked Jet Blue end October and it would have been $245. I used points b/c if you used them by today you got 25% discount, so for 10,600 points and $33 and change I'm booked! JFK - POP

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
This airline is a modern highway robbery conglomerate already, they don't need to monopolize more. I changed my flight (POP-MIA) the other day, it cost me $735 additonal - difference in fare plus change fee they charged me twice (2 x $200) because I had two people on the ticket. Even though I only changed ticket once. I only fly them because my only other option is AA out of Santiago or Spirit. So basically I have no options.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
Prices are going up all around.

JFK to SDQ direct via JetBlue cost me $420 this past March. Same flight for next year they're asking $487.

Can't blame oil prices this time. Prices have risen but not considerably.

Oops: I take it back. Just checked again. It now costs $513!

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I hope goverment sooner as they told are going to check taxes to make more competitikve the country, and another thing I was reading the other day that the tax they apply to avtur goverment cut it, but looks like all airlines continue the same without making any reductions for tickets.

Dandman

May 17, 2004
American Airlines has greatly reduced flights to the DR from many cities. No more flights from Ny or San Juan and many other cities like Miami have a reduced number of flights. Jet Blue probably has more flights now than AA.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
American Airlines has greatly reduced flights to the DR from many cities. No more flights from Ny or San Juan and many other cities like Miami have a reduced number of flights. Jet Blue probably has more flights now than AA.

Yes Jetblue is 1st place with flights but turned very very expensive now that is alone practicaly specially with flights to San Jua, a lot times is more expensive to go to San Juan than Miami or same as to go to New York.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If there are 300 passengers on a flight, chances are good, they are all paying a different price for their tickets.
Time of day, day of week, month of year, # of stops, if any, Holidays, "Black Out" dates, what day/time you buy your ticket,where you sit,how/where you book your ticket, all affect the final price you pay.
You MUST take all those factors, and more, into account before you book.
I STILL manage to find a low fare.
As has been said by a very wise person above, "Flexibility" is your best friend, that, and time to work the computer.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
IThe "Suit" is just a "Show" from Obama's man at the Dept. Of Justice, Atty Gen. Eric Holder, to make the American public think they are trying to protect them from "Big Business"!
My money is still on the merger.

cc
I suspect it all gets cleared up when a bunch of cash appears in Democrat campaign coffers.

Nothing but a shakedown from the Kings of Crony Capitalism...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If there are 300 passengers on a flight, chances are good, they are all paying a different price for their tickets.
Time of day, day of week, month of year, # of stops, if any, Holidays, "Black Out" dates, what day/time you buy your ticket,where you sit,how/where you book your ticket, all affect the final price you pay.
You MUST take all those factors, and more, into account before you book.
I STILL manage to find a low fare.
As has been said by a very wise person above, "Flexibility" is your best friend, that, and time to work the computer.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I'm glad you found a low fare, I looked for over a month, all times of day, different days, etc., and nothing ever changed. We always flew AA out of JFK, even though it was a 3 hr ride to get there, because we wanted a direct flight. I still have mucho miles available, I was kind of hoping that AA/USAir would happen because US Air has direct flights to DR out of Philly.

Long story short, we decided to fly out of Newark because it's about an hour closer. I had to cancel a flight to California on United earlier this year, so if I wanted to recoup any of that $500 ticket price, I had to fly United to DR. TWO flight choices to SD, leaving either 7.30 in the morning or midnight. Decent flight time coming home, 12.30 p.m. I'm booking for December, coming back in May - about $650 a ticket. Never ever paid anything resembling that on AA.

If I didn't have that United unused ticket, I think I would have bit the bullet and flew AA out of Philly through Miami - for free with our miles.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
We will all be biting a lot more bullets.

Aug 6, 2006
I really think that permitting the merger would have reduced competition and therefore resulted in higher prices. There are flights out of Ft Lauderdale as well as Miami to SDQ, by the way.