the price of water

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
We pay 200. I know some folks in Sosua Abajo that don't pay anything. I have some friends in El Batey that say they pay 350.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Guananico, we pay 150 pesos cos big house,normal house 100 pesos fixed prices....... but only 2 or 3 jours a day

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
But the worst thing is that Corraplata have been sending out bills and back dating them several years. Some people are receiving bills for 20,000 - 30,000 pesos!!!

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Tee, Rautus,
People on the development we are on have bills ranging from 125 RD$ per month to oner 1500 RDS per month. And when I look thought the bills to get my own I see a number of balance of RD$ 130,000 down to 80.000 RD$ and there are another group of 30,000 RD$ to 20,000 RD$ in arrears too . I think that for our developmet alone there is a back log of about RD$ 2,000,000 so go figure for the other places. No wonder Corraplata cant provide the water for the North coast.
Olly

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I pay and get close to nothing on two properties.

I call and get no answer.

Some one MIGHT show up, 6 people look and then leave with .... no answer or action of any kind.

I can pee more then the water that I pay for.

Main house with less then pee pressure. We collect rain water off the roof. Problem solved.

I'd cut them off completely but the first two properties still rely on them...

... Unless I run reverse lines back to them for water? Ummmmm

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
450 pesos per month and get very little water here in POP. talked to the water department several times, makes no difference. Talked to Maireni who pays them monthly to pump water from one tank to another tank in our area. He admits the failing is due to politics and there is nothing he can do. Even he continue to pay for nothing.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i forgot to mention that we do not get water regularly. it's twice a week at best. but because there are only two of us and we do not use much the cistern is always full. so i think we do not use this 477 a month. again, we are forking the bill for us and some if the 80% of the population who do not pay and think they deserve everything for free...

Feb 7, 2007
And in Higuey we have to buy water trucks at a cost of 400 pesos, for about 1600 gallons. CAASD sells at 132 pesos fixed rate which includes 22 cubic meters (6 pesos for each additional cubic meter), which is 5800 gallons. For me to buy 5800 gallons I need to pay 1400 pesos.

The people who are complaining about paying 132 pesos for 5800 gallons of water are NUTS!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The article is not very clear, but the 132 is a fixed rate up until 22 m3. Above that you are charged 6 pesos per m3 additionally.

Most good neighborhoods have a meter measuring the incoming water. Our residencial doesn't and we pay a fraction of what the residencial next to us pays.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Well if you will live in a city or big town what do expect? You have all these wonderful extras: taxis. buses, metros, postal deliveries, fixed line telephones, masses of radio stations, big malls, big shops, places to buy Guinness , etc, etc and you moan at paying something for water. There is just no satisfying some folk! I don't pay for water, sewerage. There are no taxis, buses, fixed line telephones, postal deliveries etc, etc mind you I wouldn't swap not even if you offer to pay my Luz y Fuerza electric bill.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
That same "Truck of Water" will cost you 1,000 to 1,200 pesos here in SD!
We use a huge amount, )8 People)and the bill is about 300 pesos a month.
I can live whith that.
I did get a 20,000 peso bill for 16 years of garbage pick up.
I laughed, told them the only two times I saw a garbage truck in all that time was when I went looking for a truck, and gave them 500 pesos to come make a pick up.
They "Threatened" to stop coming!!!
"Dominican Logic" at it's finest!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
i forgot to mention that we do not get water regularly. it's twice a week at best. but because there are only two of us and we do not use much the cistern is always full. so i think we do not use this 477 a month. again, we are forking the bill for us and some if the 80% of the population who do not pay and think they deserve everything for free...

Ok, the reason for a rooftop cistern is because of no pressure at times, correct? And I'm guessing the water in one of those black rooftop cisterns is a little warmer then the fresh water coming in?

Does anybody live without heating water for showers and clothes washing? Just using the warm water coming from a cistern? There might have been a thread about that but I couldn't find it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ok, the reason for a rooftop cistern is because of no pressure at times, correct? And I'm guessing the water in one of those black rooftop cisterns is a little warmer then the fresh water coming in?

Does anybody live without heating water for showers and clothes washing? Just using the warm water coming from a cistern? There might have been a thread about that but I couldn't find it.

We have a large cement cistern in the ground, which is fed by our well, then we have a 550 gallon tinaco [black plastic 'cistern]] on the roof, which is fed by the cistern in the ground. The water gets nice and warm.

We have an on-demand propane gas hot water heater. This past March and April, I never used it once because the water from the tinaco was so pleasant for showering. In Jan-Feb, that hot water heater is a godsend. :)

Makinater

May 4, 2013
Our residence got it's own pozo and bomba. We pay 300 pesos a month for water, garbage, and the man that is supposedly hired to clean the area - although I've never seen him and by the looks of our residence he's never been here. In any case, la bomba isn't prendida all the time, so the tenants without tinaco only got water during the hours it's on. As for us, we got plenty of water all the time. Never runs short.

Makinater

May 4, 2013

We got no heater. The tinaco water is hot enough in our opinion. I often wish it were colder, but the sun seems to have other plans every day. Sometimes we get a bit of cold water though, that's when we have used a lot of tinaco water and the bomba is filling it with fresh, cold water from the well. I like those showers ...

Makinater

May 4, 2013
Well if you will live in a city or big town what do expect? You have all these wonderful extras: taxis. buses, metros, postal deliveries, fixed line telephones, masses of radio stations, big malls, big shops, places to buy Guinness , etc, etc and you moan at paying something for water. There is just no satisfying some folk! I don't pay for water, sewerage. There are no taxis, buses, fixed line telephones, postal deliveries etc, etc mind you I wouldn't swap not even if you offer to pay my Luz y Fuerza electric bill.

I understand why you would like to live in a city with lots of amenities. What I do not understand is why you expect people to accept higher water costs for living in a city. Real estate prices, yes. But water costs should be a reflection of the existing infrastructure, i.e. the pipes that el ayuntamiento has connected to your house and the houses around you. In a city, the infrastructure is already there and the investments are shared by thousands of people, rather than a 100 something in a small village. Thus, the costs of water should be lower in a city - not the other way around. True, supply and demand is another factor. The demand for water is great in a city, but so is the supply. My guess is that the ratio is probably more in favor of supply than demand in the major cities, which cannot be said about small towns in this country. And as a final note, If you would like to live in a big city, why don't you come down to SD for a couple of months? Check it out, and find a nice place to rent if you still like it. I bet it would be more satisfying than complaining about having no taxis, buses, fixed line telephones, "y algo m?s", like they write on all store signs in this city. Just PM me if you want info about la capital (and there are others who probably know a lot more than me, like CC).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

on the contrary, we only have a cistern in the garden and no rooftop tinaco. the cistern is really huge and we use little water as it seems. we always have good pressure because the pump is wired to work with the inversor. water heater on twice a day, i like hot showers, even in a summer time. but washing clothes is in cold water only, our heater does not have enough capacity.

hot water with good pressure is one of my priorities here. i did not come to DR to live like pobres and wash in cold water. screw this. i need my creature comforts. when there is a long blackout in the winter and the water is really cold i boil a big pot on the stove and wash using a bucket. no cold showers, thanks.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
We got no heater. The tinaco water is hot enough in our opinion. I often wish it were colder, but the sun seems to have other plans every day. Sometimes we get a bit of cold water though, that's when we have used a lot of tinaco water and the bomba is filling it with fresh, cold water from the well. I like those showers ...

Does your pump pressurize the entire system? Or does it only pump to the tinaco and then use gravity from there?