MABE - Is this a good Refrigerator for about $16,000 Pesos

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not have one but i have seen it often in DR. seems like a solid, well priced company. if it fits your needs and you like it then go ahead and buy. it is sold in many places so spare parts and fixing should not be a huge issue. plug it through surge protector thingy.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
One of my apartments has this type of fridge and to tell the truth is going well (keeping fingers crossed) and as we are in PC, the sea air really corrodes everything. Good luck

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I've had Mabe products and they are like others in that they have cheap stuff and good stuff. I would never by the cheapest offering they have because I have done that and been sorry, specifically the stove I have now.

Dec 26, 2011
Mabe is fine. But shop around for the best deal. Prices on the same model vary greatly from store to store.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Several were purchased by owners in the condo where I live. They all had to have their electronic card replaced. After that there have been no more reports of problems.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"C mon" Richard, how can anyone answer your question????
How many cubic feet?
"Frost Free"???
Stainless Steel ????
I had a "Mabe" brand once, I gave it away!
Go to a "Plaza Lama" and get something imported.
I like "LG" models.
"Cheap, Is CHEAP"!
Do you want a cheap fridge that lasts 5 years, or a more expensive model that lasts 15???
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Feb 15, 2005
"C mon" Richard, how can anyone answer your question????
How many cubic feet?
"Frost Free"???
Stainless Steel ????
I had a "Mabe" brand once, I gave it away!
Go to a "Plaza Lama" and get something imported.
I like "LG" models.
"Cheap, Is CHEAP"!
Do you want a cheap fridge that lasts 5 years, or a more expensive model that lasts 15???
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

lol, slow your roll Chris, lol.. It's only for a place I use 4-5 times a year.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Mabe has a pretty fair rep. There is a Dominican saying: "New is New"

If you are only going to use it 4 or 5 times a year, and you are not going to leave plugged in, It should be okay.

Don't expect miracles, but they have been in business for some time.

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I thought MABE (a Mexican company) produced appliances for third world conditions with cost and ability to withstand bad power conditions dominate.

I was told that MABE can survive low/fluctuating voltage areas much better than first world brands. That's their market.

If you have good, clean, stable power get a pricey US or Euro brand. If you have crappy power like most poorer Dominicans, get a MABE.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I bought a MABE fridge for 18,000 pesos about three years ago and have had no problems. It doesn't use much electricity...that is, it keeps everything at the right temperature without running all the time. It also holds the colds during 6 hour power outtages. It has glass shelves, which I do recommend as they don't rust. It has a little built in ice tray but I don't use that feature that I thought was so cute at the beginning because the ice melts too easily. I use use regular ice trays now. Also, mine has the coils in the back exposed, which may or may not be better actually, but to my thinking keep t he overall heat buildup down. No corosion problems so far. Bought a MABE range too, but not quite as happy with it....

Feb 15, 2005
I bought a MABE fridge for 18,000 pesos about three years ago and have had no problems. It doesn't use much electricity...that is, it keeps everything at the right temperature without running all the time. It also holds the colds during 6 hour power outtages. It has glass shelves, which I do recommend as they don't rust. It has a little built in ice tray but I don't use that feature that I thought was so cute at the beginning because the ice melts too easily. I use use regular ice trays now. Also, mine has the coils in the back exposed, which may or may not be better actually, but to my thinking keep t he overall heat buildup down. No corosion problems so far. Bought a MABE range too, but not quite as happy with it....

What wrong with the range Judy, I was thinking of getting a MABE brand?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
MABE makes several different models so be sure to check what you want and if that unit has ... what you want.

Stove: Some plug in and you get the ignite button to light it on the top. Some you ignite via match. I've not had one that has the ignite oven and have to use a BBQ lighter. Broiler? I don't remember but that indicates that I have not bought one with one.

Refrigerator: Again it depends on what you need. We bought a small one and didn't see that it was NOT frost free so every month we had to empty it to defrost it and play with water running out of it. It was a pain in the "defrost". We moved it into the helps room and I opened it one day and the freezer unit was one solid piece of ice. It is now a tool chest in the garage... and a back up if needed.

Overall? Happy with the product but not happy with MY understanding when I bought. LOL

Read the label, if it has one, and look for yourself.

I have one, not a fan and I'm assuming it was cheap since the owners before us were the cheapest people in the world. It's an apartment size one, i can't wait till we get a real size NICE fridge! Who gets a small fridge for a house where most things need to go in the fridge?! I HATE THE PREVIOUS OWNERS....anyways enough of that rant.

If you don't live here all the time i'm sure it will do fine.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I have a Mabe also. So far so good. It is my understanding that they are made in the same factory as the General Electrics, in Mexico.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I have a Maybe refrigerator and range. I like my refrigerator much better and I haven't had any problem with it.