Buying telephone minutes

gas

Jul 28, 2013
I rec'd no response last time I asked this, maybe cuz I didn't word it properly or maybe it's a stoopid question. But alas, I'll try again.

I'll be visiting the DR in a few days and am bringing a gift of an unlocked iPhone to a relative who is a numbskull when it comes to technology, not that I'm much better. There will be no plan - minutes will be prepaid. I intend to purchase minutes on the internet. He has no computer. The question - how do I allocate how many minutes go to data and how many go to phone calls? He wants to use Claro if that makes a difference. [I also have an unlocked iPhone and could never figure out how to allocate the minutes.]

Second, I've been purchasing from ezetop.com - they seem to charge about a 6% fee. I'd like to have a backup company. Any recommendations?

Third, how easy is it to port a number - he uses Tricom now and hates it.

Thanks.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
1.- If he is planning switch company tricom use cdma tecnology, Claro and Orange use GSM tecnology, VIVA use GSM in extended Coverage and CDMA in Specific areas.

2.- The process to switch company first he must have prepaid service before apply to switch, that way wont be pending charges to pay in tricom, then he must go to the company he wants to switch Claro, Orange or ViVa and apply for portabilty, sign some papers must have ID also, and wait for 4 days aprox. will receive a text in his phone telling the process was finished then he can go to the new company to program his phone, and Good Luck with Claro hehehe.

3.- About the amount for Data and Amount for Voice, the process is you add all the credit as Voice, then you have to buy the Data service, 1 day, 1 week, 2 weeks, or 1 month and the company will discount from your balance. Note. (to buy Data service each company has special codes to activate the service.

4.- ezetop looks to be the most known way to add credit to prepaid service.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
I use callingmart to buy minutes. They have no surcharge.

But as CC says, let them buy their own minutes.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Adding minutes...............

Quite often the "service fee" is hidden in the exchange rate. Current exchange rate is over 40:1. As you can see you are getting a much lower exchange rate using CallingMart or any other top up service.

Spending $5 USD you should be getting at least 200 DOP of credit.

jk7e3r.jpg

gas

Jul 28, 2013
I did search but I guess I had my eyes closed.

Thanks for all the helpful answers. I just tried callingmart and it doesn't look there's any fee (except for the fee my bank will add). And no no no, I am not going to be a minute ATM, I will get every peso back.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.............I just tried callingmart and it doesn't look there's any fee..............

The fee is the 10 pesos per dollar lost in the exchange rate for every dollar you spend. CallingMart will sell you 313 pesos of credit for every $10 spent or 31.3:1. You can easily get 41.3 or better at any casa de cambio.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Pays to shop around..........

BTW etopuponline which also does not charge a fee, except for the hidden one, will give you 380 pesos of phone credit for every $10 spent.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
BTW etopuponline which also does not charge a fee, except for the hidden one, will give you 380 pesos of phone credit for every $10 spent.

hahaha for 10 dollares 380.00 credit, lol, 40 pesos fee, official exchange rate now is 1 x 42.15 pesos. so 10 dollars is 421.50, almost 1 dollar fee.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
hahaha for 10 dollares 380.00 credit, lol, 40 pesos fee, official exchange rate now is 1 x 42.15 pesos. so 10 dollars is 421.50, almost 1 dollar fee.

Exactly my point. Some are mislead to believe they are not paying a fee when in fact they are. I have no objection what so ever paying a fee, but keep it reasonable. The top up companies are providing a service and should be compensated.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
When you exchange USD to DOP in New York, the best rate I've seen is RD$37 to $1USD. Surcharges are a pain, but so is dealing with foreign currencies.

At least top-up companies like CallingMart ensure you're getting what you're paying for. Orange can be a little iffy when refilling at their electronic kiosks.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The phone owner DOES not need a PC or smartphone to receive the minutes Birdman!
I am well aware of that. I have been using etopuponline and ezetop for over five years. The App is for people who may wish to purchase minutes for their self or for another person.

The OP can have the App installed and let the phone owner buy their own minutes without the need of a pc...........

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2008
first off if he is not computer savvy why Iphone?? get him an Acatel
two beggers are not choosy if its just to call then claro orange tricom solves his problem

gas

Jul 28, 2013
The iPhone is intuitive and will be no problem. There's also a Mac store near him if he needs help after my umpteen hour tutorial.

first off if he is not computer savvy why Iphone?? get him an Acatel
two beggers are not choosy if its just to call then claro orange tricom solves his problem