Buying tools in the DR

MJP35

Feb 5, 2013
How easy is it to find decent carpentry tools in the DR for purchase? (Table saw, Drill press, lathe, router table etc.) Also are they very expensive, i.e. 50% more then USA??? I love wood working and have many tools but cant justify shipping them all.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks I'll check it out.

And then compare those prices to importing them yourself. I suspect it will be cheaper to import them using a Dominican Door to Door shipper. Let us know if you do that analysis.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Bellon and Ochoa in Santiago have a wide selection of tools...You can check them out first before venturing into Santa Dominga (Yeah, I know!).

Depending on just what you need you can find sufficient stuff to work.

I used to refinish golf clubs--the old wooden ones...I had sanders, drill presses and all sorts of tools. The sanders I put together with stuff from Golfsmith and local used electric motors. The drill press I bought in Bellon...20 years later they still work, I just don't use them ...

HB

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
How easy is it to find decent carpentry tools in the DR for purchase? (Table saw, Drill press, lathe, router table etc.) Also are they very expensive, i.e. 50% more then USA??? I love wood working and have many tools but cant justify shipping them all.

I have lots of tools and believe you me, most are best shipped-in than bought here...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

50%???? Think more 100% to 300% in that range!

Most tools are dated by tech standards. Those that are competitive always have a catch to them, like being refurbished or open box.

A biscuit joiner I once shopped for in the DR was triple the price for the same model I found online in Amazon, with adapters being free. I only bought it because I was too far ahead in the project to wait until the tool arrived from the U.S. and was short in free time to do the hobby work.

Buy them in the U.S. and pack them together in a box for shipping door to door. Make sure to label them as used tools on the description for the shipping company. You'll pay a few extra bucks aside from the regular shipping but will clear any hurdles in customs 100% (if they carry out an inspection).

If this is only for one or a couple of tools, buy them local. It will be more expensive but less hassle and wait time.

Anything more than a couple, buy them overseas...