DO you need a return Ticket when entering the DR Coming form Canada??

I know this has been asked a lot but I swear someone told me it was the airline that would want to see the return ticket not when you arrive in the DR?!
I just saw something that says the DR will want to see a return ticket.

I am flying back to the DR in 11 days and just bought a one way back b/c I called West Jet and they said they don't care. (Flying from Canada to DR)

I started residency but it won't be approved till at least Sept.
Own a house in the DR.

Sorry for this question b/c i know it is asked a lot but it REALLY confuses me. If it's going to be a scene i'll buy a ticket b/c i am coming back to Vancouver for a week or so for Xmas but didn't feel like dealing with the dates at the moment.

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
Nobody will check this if you are at the Immigration desk, so if your airline do not need it, then there should be no problem.
I had never a problem with it, but I guess it is related to the Airline and how strict they are about it.

RayO

Mar 25, 2012
We flew out of Toronto to DR twice last year via Westjet & Air Can without return being booked & never even a question.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Its the airline's responsibility - RD doesn't ask.

WestJet rarely asks.
Carry your residency confirmation letter - might help.

If asked, buy a full fare return on the spot and cancel it the next day.

As you say - this has been covered extensively

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
JetBlue required me to book a return ticket when I flew to SDQ from JFK unless I can prove residency there.

It is airline's policy to ask, I believe; not immigration.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in case of something take a copy of a paper stating your residency is in progress.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
US airlines tend to ask for residency card, especially AA. However, if you do curbside check-in, your chances of not getting asked is much higher. I would say I get asked maybe 50% of the time, when they see a ticket ending in the DR, and not returning back to the US.

Apr 13, 2011
American Airlines and Jet Blue have both asked me whenever I went up to the area to check a bag. They did not actually need to see the return ticket itself - just showing them a copy of my itinerary showing a return flight with confirmation number was enough to satisfy them.
I do not remember anyone asking me whenever I did not need to check in a bag and just went straight to security - though I know it is a requirement to be able to show a return flight.
After landing in the DR, no one has ever asked about seeing a return ticket.

MJP35

Feb 5, 2013
I asked this same question. Best answer. If you're flying with WestJet buy any return ticket from another airline that has a 24hr no questions asked return policy. Many have this including WestJet and Air Canada. You should receive the confirmation immediately after booking. Print the confirmation and then call and cancel the flight within the 24hr period. No fees or penalties and if it?s booked with another airline they can?t check to see that you cancelled it.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Jetblue at JFK has never asked me to show a return ticket. I do have residency if they did start this but as of July last they did not ask. I book via Ireland (Aer Lingus) and have a boarding card when I arrive at JFK to board the flight to Santiago.

JetBlue required me to book a return ticket when I flew to SDQ from JFK unless I can prove residency there.

It is airline's policy to ask, I believe; not immigration.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I know this has been asked a lot but I swear someone told me it was the airline that would want to see the return ticket not when you arrive in the DR?!
I just saw something that says the DR will want to see a return ticket.

I am flying back to the DR in 11 days and just bought a one way back b/c I called West Jet and they said they don't care. (Flying from Canada to DR)

I started residency but it won't be approved till at least Sept.
Own a house in the DR.

Sorry for this question b/c i know it is asked a lot but it REALLY confuses me. If it's going to be a scene i'll buy a ticket b/c i am coming back to Vancouver for a week or so for Xmas but didn't feel like dealing with the dates at the moment.

There are several threads in the archives on this.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
Jetblue at JFK has never asked me to show a return ticket. I do have residency if they did start this but as of July last they did not ask. I book via Ireland (Aer Lingus) and have a boarding card when I arrive at JFK to board the flight to Santiago.

I booked back in March of this year, but I did book the flight online instead of terminal.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Footing the bill

The reason for the return ticket policy is the airline transporting a passenger into the country has the responsibility to transport the passenger out of the country should Dominican immigration officials deem the person is not welcome into the country. The Dominican government will not pay the airfare for the return passage. It is up to the passenger to pay his way or the airline foots the bill. This is why the some airlines to protect themselves will demand a purchase of a round trip ticket so they will not foot the bill of a return flight should a passenger be denied entry. The airlines are being more cautious as the DR has now begun active use of the Advanced Passenger Information System (APIS), it creates an aircraft passenger manifest the international carriers are required to provide to immigration prior to arrival into the country. Failure to provide the list will result in high fines.

Regards,

PJT

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
There are several threads in the archives on this.

this situation changes, i think. i remember that at the beginning i was not asked to provide residency on my way back from europe but last two trips it was required at the check in. some airline specifically ask for the documents, other may be more relaxed. it's worth asking about it again occasionally, just so folks can provide newest updates and share their stories.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I asked this same question. Best answer. If you're flying with WestJet buy any return ticket from another airline that has a 24hr no questions asked return policy. Many have this including WestJet and Air Canada. You should receive the confirmation immediately after booking. Print the confirmation and then call and cancel the flight within the 24hr period. No fees or penalties and if it?s booked with another airline they can?t check to see that you cancelled it.

Im Dominican and i think is more airline issue than Dominican goverment, my bf is canadian he has been asked about it only for the airline, till now here no body cares if he has return ticket.

To me westjet only ask me for return ticket when Im coming back with Air Canada, i just show the confirmation booking email with payment details and no problem.