Damage Being Done By Sewage Discharge Into Sosua's Rivers

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

The ecological organization of Sos?a, Cabarete and Montellano (SOMONCA), led by, among others, Milo Mart?nez and Garry Kooy, is sounding the alarm bell! They demand more attention for the increasing pollution of the two rivers Sos?a and Yasica. Both rivers are still used as an open sewer. But also the sewage discharge from the neighborhoods La Uni?n and Villa Liberaci?n straight into the ocean near the Gregorio Luper?n airport causes major problems.

Through this discharge of wastewater (called black water here) the fish population is reduced to almost zero and the coral reef near the airport and the two rivers is completely gone. During a visit by the President to Cabarete, Danilo Medina said that he is also concerned about the destruction of the environment. He has set up a committee, headed by Lic. Francisco Matos Mancebo (congressman) to make an inventory of the problems and to come up with solutions. It is thought to be a program of reforestation and installing water purification plants.

The owners of the diving schools in Sos?a and Cabarete also complain about the demise of coral reefs. Fortunately, there are still several places in between Sos?a and Cabarete with coral reefs that make a dive worth it. Especially the coral growth and tropical fish near the sunk ship at the bend at Playa Chiquita is a popular location for divers.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
One of the problems I see here in the DR is the lack of experience of technological advances with regards to addressing issues like these. For example, a relatively inexpensive treatment system can be constructed that needs little operating cost to run. What is needed is the property, earthworking equipment and the necessary biological elements. Here is an example:

SchemConstructedWetlandSewage.jpg

I am currently working on a proposal for the City of Santiago to map the floodplain areas like as is done in the States. I would like to think that at some point I would be able to put together proposals for the sewage treatment system as well not to mention low income housing. Al paso as they say.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
One of the problems I see here in the DR is the lack of experience of technological advances with regards to addressing issues like these. For example, a relatively inexpensive treatment system can be constructed that needs little operating cost to run. What is needed is the property, earthworking equipment and the necessary biological elements. Here is an example:

SchemConstructedWetlandSewage.jpg

I am currently working on a proposal for the City of Santiago to map the floodplain areas like as is done in the States. I would like to think that at some point I would be able to put together proposals for the sewage treatment system as well not to mention low income housing. Al paso as they say.

Bien bien bien "al paso."

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
This is much bigger than you think !
Just look at what happened at Cabarete with the Sewage Treatment plant!
Basically the water table is being depleted and wells are running dry. Sea Water is coming higher up the coastal plain and wells are becoming brackish and un-useable. Septic tanks no longer work on the caostal plain because seawater is rising not allowing infiltration in to the lower layers.

This is a real crisis for the North Coast !

Just check out how many wells not longer function !

Olly and the Team

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
From today's Sosua News:

The ecological organization of Sos?a, Cabarete and Montellano (SOMONCA), led by, among others, Milo Mart?nez and Garry Kooy, is sounding the alarm bell! They demand more attention for the increasing pollution of the two rivers Sos?a and Yasica. Both rivers are still used as an open sewer. But also the sewage discharge from the neighborhoods La Uni?n and Villa Liberaci?n straight into the ocean near the Gregorio Luper?n airport causes major problems.

Through this discharge of wastewater (called black water here) the fish population is reduced to almost zero and the coral reef near the airport and the two rivers is completely gone. During a visit by the President to Cabarete, Danilo Medina said that he is also concerned about the destruction of the environment. He has set up a committee, headed by Lic. Francisco Matos Mancebo (congressman) to make an inventory of the problems and to come up with solutions. It is thought to be a program of reforestation and installing water purification plants.

The owners of the diving schools in Sos?a and Cabarete also complain about the demise of coral reefs. Fortunately, there are still several places in between Sos?a and Cabarete with coral reefs that make a dive worth it. Especially the coral growth and tropical fish near the sunk ship at the bend at Playa Chiquita is a popular location for divers.

Is Garry still here in Sosua? Somomca is alive?

This is not ment to be nasty. Garry and Milo are very nice and good people but we have lost touch with them. Some may remember that I talked about Somonca some 10 years ago? Garry is also an artist and did have paintings for sale to help raise money. We had him paint a ceiling for us and it is great.

As for the coral reefs near us? We have filed complaints concerning the destruction of the coast and dumping of sand to form "beaches". The sand drift over the coral has been photographed and sent to our lawyers that are working with people in S.D.

I encourage those with first hand experience to contact me. I'll try to find Garry and Milo again for their expertise and passion.

Thanks for posting this Ken.