Blood Needed in Sosua

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Possible need for 0+ blood at CMC in Sosua for Jenny Boudreau. Please call the clinic to check if more is needed: 809 571 4696

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Can't O+ take just about any blood? Sorry to be uniformed. Please advise. I'm A+.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
O is the Universal Donor and AB is the Universal Recipient. Rh+ can receive from Rh- or Rh+, but someone with Rh- blood should receive only from a Rh- donor.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
That's pretty much what I thought but CMC rejected several people with 0- today who were willing to donate, saying it wasn't possible for them to give to a person with 0+, which I and the person in need are. My blood didn't meet their requirements either, too low on HGB. We should know by now that their criteria change like the wind and barely any two clinics use the same criteria.....

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
That's pretty much what I thought but CMC rejected several people with 0- today who were willing to donate, saying it wasn't possible for them to give to a person with 0+, which I and the person in need are. My blood didn't meet their requirements either, too low on HGB. We should know by now that their criteria change like the wind and barely any two clinics use the same criteria.....

That is nuts!

Rh- means that the person lacks the Rh antigen - which means that the blood lacks the protein which can cause Rh incompatibility.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Linda. What EXACTLY does she need and when?

I'm afraid I don't know at this point in time which is why I suggest ringing the clinic to check first. They hoped they were going to have enough for a transfusion today but the donor's blood still had to be tested when I left, but they think she may need more tomorrow, so best to call, please. They are saying it has to be O+.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Here you go:

600417_10150871508641783_254810326_n.jpg

Just recieved a PM. Thank you (you know who you are)

I will gladly go, but at the moment i am alone here with my little son. If they still need me early in the morning i will be there- they can drain as much as they need, i have no fear of needles.

Please advise, those who knows this case.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Thank you. As soon as I see her husband (he is my neighbour), I will find out. Probably more reliable to ask him than ring the clinic this morning. I've rung before and gone and then they haven't needed me.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Just recieved a PM. Thank you (you know who you are)

I will gladly go, but at the moment i am alone here with my little son. If they still need me early in the morning i will be there- they can drain as much as they need, i have no fear of needles.

Please advise, those who knows this case.

Yes, the 0+ blood is still needed, please. The person who tried to donate yesterday wasn't able to give either, so the patient still hasn't received any blood yet. Thanks to anyone who can do that.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Just heard that someone else with 0+ is on their way to the clinic, so it's looking good. It seems that there are at least four or five different lists going around, none of which seems to be very accessible at CMC despite our best efforts, so we do the best we can in an imperfect land.

tim c

May 3, 2007
I went in at about 7 PM last night to give blood. Im o neg. They said that was not the type she needed. They also said she did not need any blood and was fine. I would call the clinic befor going if you come from far away.

Just back from CMC. They took a test, i have to little blood they told me.

Sorry Mrs Stapleton, i said they could drain some anyway- but they wouldnt do it.

I am starting on the Gym in September, so i will for sure have higher levels of blood later, I hope this will increase the amount in my body so i still can stay on the Donor list.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
This is quite startling the number of people who have stepped up to be donors and to be rejected because of low blood levels.
Makes me think I should get mine checked just to see what levels I have. I am not an O+ or would have been already as Jenny is a friend of mine. Thanks Linda and everyone who went through this long and sometimes frustrating process to help!!

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
I've heard of several more people whose blood was turned down but one successful donation, so at least Jenny has one batch of good blood in her veins now. Thanks to everyone who was willing to help and to try to track down people who could. It really shows the shortfalls in the system though, with so many people willing to give and such a struggle to measure up.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Excuse me for being stupid, but how can you have too little blood? And how can they determine that? I know if you have a nose bleed here it means you have too much blood, but is this another Dominican fairy tale?

Matilda