Can I buy a one-way ticket to Santo Domingo and stay living there?

babymontana

Aug 20, 2013
I am a U.S citizen with an American passport. I'm going to Santo Domingo in September but I haven't booked the flight yet. Can I book a one-way flight or do I need a return date? I want to live in Santo Domingo with my dad. How can I do that?

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I am a U.S citizen with an American passport. I'm going to Santo Domingo in September but I haven't booked the flight yet. Can I book a one-way flight or do I need a return date? I want to live in Santo Domingo with my dad. How can I do that?

Book a one way ticket going down.

Before you leave, book a fully refundable return ticket for say...2 months out. The rest will come easily.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
If your Dad is Dominican search about how you can get Dominican natiionality is not so dificult, that way you will be able to come without return ticket. My cousins are US/Dominican and they come with not return ticket the most of the times.

Apr 13, 2011
I agree with greydread - buy a normal one way ticket to get to the DR and buy a second one way refundable ticket for your return - after you get to the DR, you can cancel and get the refund on the return ticket. Or, as mentioned, just have the date on the return ticket be a couple of months out and then just pay the change fee to when you need it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
often a return ticket is cheaper than one way. why not buy just a regular return with an open date or an option of changing return date? one day you may want to go back, if only for a visit.

Feb 7, 2007
often a return ticket is cheaper than one way. why not buy just a regular return with an open date or an option of changing return date? one day you may want to go back, if only for a visit.

This is usually not true for DR/US routes, which are in most cases priced on OW basis (OW+OW)

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
I have come into Santiago from Miami/Ft Lauderdale on American Airlines and Spirit over 10 times in the last few years on a one way ticket and never once was asked by those 2 airlines or RD immigration if I had a return ticket.

babymontana

Aug 20, 2013
How long did you stay?

I have come into Santiago from Miami/Ft Lauderdale on American Airlines and Spirit over 10 times in the last few years on a one way ticket and never once was asked by those 2 airlines or RD immigration if I had a return ticket.

And was the ticket expensive?

Last edited by a moderator: