Home base in the DR

ksanrio

Aug 21, 2013
Hello all,

Let me give you a general overview of my situation and any advice would be welcomed.

First, by Profession I am a Master's Level Child Abuse Investigator (Child Protection Services) and I also teach part time at a University. I love culture and local community (I am not the tourist type). I have lived in Thailand,
Trinidad and Tobago, and Philippines (all great places to live IMO), visited and taught in in India, Ethiopia, and Brazil.

I have been to the DR (Santo Domingo) three times (4 coming this November). I met my fiance there who lives in SD. She is an Engineer and comes from a good family (Mother's a doctor, father's an engineer). I was planning on retiring from the US in three years (I'm 48) and moving overseas full time. I have been with woman from all over the world so this is not a case of some overseas romance. I really feel that we are soul mates (Yeah I know that sounds crazy) but it's true. She has made her family my family and it has only been a year. Yes we have had our conflicts (she has a temper LOL) but we work through our issues and make each other better people. Most importantly from a therapeutic perspective we both meet our core needs which is essential for any solid relationships.

My plans is to live in Santo Domingo or surrounding area (So she can be close to her family and job). But I would like to find a quit neighborhood on the outskirts of SD or within 15-30 minutes (Driving). I live in the San Francisco Bay Area so I am looking for slower place but still being close enough to the city. Any suggestions that might be a good fit?

I would love to eventually buy a home in an area that fits my description and have DR as my/our home base. I still want to have a second care in the education and human service fields, whether that is in the DR or whether I am working off shore.

As far as finances, when ready I would like to have our house paid off completely and I will have have approximately 2000.00 USD per month coming in from retirement and small investments. I will also be keeping my home in the USA which will be rented out and is almost paid off.

ksanrio

Aug 21, 2013
Forgive me, I could not find out how to edit post. I re-read my post and I am uncomfortable how some parts sounded.
I would like to make a few clarifications. First, when I said,I have been with woman from all over the world so this is not a case of some overseas romance. was poorly written what I meant was that I have had overseas relationships before but no one has ever moved me or touched my heart the way this woman has.

As far as the finances, I am an average fellow, not rich, working class and I know 2k is not a lot of money but I do plan on having a family with this woman (yes, I will be starting over probably at 50 with little ones) and want to make sure I can provide the basics for them. So any help on financial reality would be helpful. As a social worker my life style would like to be comparable to at least what might be middle class for locals in the DR. Nothing fancy but have a comfortable simple life for my second half. I am very humble person to I apoligize if any of the above post sounded otherwise. Once again, any advice would be helpful-Newbee here :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
IMO, your fiancee is well-equipped to choose a place to live that will fall within your parameters, I'm sure she knows her city well.

As far as the money, $2,000 isn't a lot to live on, especially if you plan to have a family. You haven't mentioned her income - unless she intends to retire soon, it's relevant, and will make a positive difference in your lifestyle.

Best wishes for all your plans!

Nov 25, 2008
Well, one of the problems of this site is that we are quite explicit, and we don't hold our tongue in saying whats on our mind.
Living in SD on 2k is not a lot of $$, I hope your fiance is not really young, DONT get married especially if your 15 years older than your fiance.
good luck

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Welcome to DR1! Like AlterEgo said your fiancee knows the best neighborhoods
to live in based on your budget. There many nice neighborhoods where you will find 3
bedroom houses within your budget in SD. Good Luck.:)

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Juan Dolio sounds like it could be the right place for you. Beach town, with modern apartments, and about 45 minutes from SD. Not very touristic, but a more residential kind of place. Not very cheap though.
But if you plan to have kids, you probably want to live within SD itself (schools, recreation, etc). There is no concept of suburbs in DR, you're either in or out of the city.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
As usual, I am waiting with bated breath for CC to respond.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
soul mates with a dominican woman? is the same as souls with benefits?

do not count of a bunch of permanently drunk strangers, most of whom does not even live in DR to give you advice in regards to cost and location if you have a dominican woman. she will know best where to find what you need and how much it would cost. 2k dollars would be considered very little for a family by most gringos but dominicans manage on a lot less so i guess your lady can solve this issue as well.

don't sell the house in the states. always good to have an extra source of income and a place to come back to when things fail.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
dv8 you took the words out of my mouth! Do not close the door back home, you may be returning
much quicker than you realize. Leave an open window.

After the honeymoon phase (still too early) reality will begin to sink in.

My advice: continue to work on the temper that your fiance exhibits.:rolleyes:Not a good sign.
If it gets out of control, later on when you're married, you will be in hot water.

But like I tell everyone, Good Luck.:)

Last edited:

ksanrio

Aug 21, 2013
dv8 you took the words out of my mouth! Do not close the door back home, you may be returning
much quicker than you realize. Leave an open window.

After the honeymoon phase (still too early) reality will begin to sink in.

My advice: continue to work on the temper that your fiance exhibits.:rolleyes:Not a good sign.
If it gets out of control, later on when you're married, you will be in hot water.

But like I tell everyone, Good Luck.:)

Thanks for the great advice, my home is the states is solid investment and solid foundation if GOD forbid, I have to start over. As far as her temper, that is about Jealousy but we are working on it. I am love sponge so a little possessiveness is ok for me LOL

As far as returning quicker than I expect, I have traveled and lived overseas, and I have always felt more at home overseas than in the USA. I have been planning to move back overseas regardless if I was single or not. And I do like the DR especially once I get out of the city. Food, beaches, gyms, close to the other islands and Florida. I was planning before to head over to Philippines but I have a grandchild now and that is just too far to go back and forth. And if it is not the DR, there so many beautiful affordable Latin Caribbean countries-Just looking for a simpler to trade in for the Crazy overcrowded, over expensive Bay Are.

I just want to say this is not my first rodeo, I know the reality that things are always great in the beginning or before you start living together. Relationships take hard work and you got to be in it for the long run but that's easier said than done. The big thing is that is this person worth the sacrifice to you? As for me, she is. I have never been able to say that about anyone until she came along. The funny thing is that I hear a lot of negatives about relationships in the DR but man, the women in the USA are scary the way the will break a man if given a chance (of course I am generalizing).

Thanks agian.

ksanrio

Aug 21, 2013
Thanks for the input:cheeky:

I am looking at finances with what I am bringing to the table and then her salary will be icing on the cake. She will be working as she is much younger than me and enjoys her career.

If I do move their one expense I will not have is home payment, I would need at least another thousand for a mortgage
but my home will be free and clear. Also I live on 2k now in Silicon Valley which is very expensive. I bring home twice that amount but my expense, food, mortgage, utilities, insurances, recreation, credit cards all fall at or under 2k. I am able to do this because I live below my means and embrace a simpler life. I bring my lunch and dinner to work, I drive an economical car, etc.

So many of my colleagues and friends who make similar and much more than me live beyond their means are in thousands of dollars of debt, underwater in their homes etc, but they drive the newest BMW or Mercedes (I have a Honda), their mortgage payment eats up 50-60 percent of their take home; they eat out at the most expensive restaurants--I can't live pay check to pay check i was raised old school.

Thanks for your input it is greatly apprecitated

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i will not bother you then with a moral talk on how the inevitable will happen. trust your dominican half to arrange a life for you. if your budget is 2000 bucks tell her 1500 so she can manage with that and you have 500 as contingency. keep the house in the USA because who knows, maybe one day your children will live there, if all goes well for you.

ksanrio

Aug 21, 2013
Thanks, yes while I will relay on my Fiance, I also like to know what the social landscape looks like and what resources are avialable independently of her information. It just makes me feel like my feet our on more of a solid ground. But I do trust her.

ksanrio

Aug 21, 2013
Ha ha ha, that was a good one. Souls with benifits LOL. I like you already :cheeky:
I come from the school of hard knocks LOL and learned that it is hard to find a good woman (Where are thou find a virteous woman?). from the spirit of that comment you have been to Thailand, Philippines, USA etc LOL. Maybe it's genetic? LOL JK :)

Thanks for your input.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Have you asked yourself why this women half your age is interested in being with you?
Do you do a reverse coco madon? Harry from Oklahoma and the third world Dominican beauty..
Regardless, good luck..

Last edited:

ksanrio

Aug 21, 2013
Have you asked yourself why this women half your age is interested in being with you?
Do you do a reverse coco madon? Harry from Oklahoma and the third world Dominican beauty..
Regardless, good luck..

Maybe because at my age, I still have a six pack and not some beer gut. Maybe because at my age, I still compete in bodybuilding shows and do personal training but all that is superficial. Maybe because I been told I am good looking well traveled, post graduate but all that is superficial. Maybe it is because I treat her like a princess, love and respect her and make her feel safe. GOD knows she has her own money, her family is well off. Maybe because it is a combination of all these things. Or maybe we are just soul mates like Celine Deon and her husband which is even a bigger gap than her and I. I have so many options when it comes to women but she is the only one that holds my heart. I also would like to know why I feel the way I do about her? GOD Knows I never felt like this about anyone before. Regardless, I am thankful for her being a part of this journey.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
celine's hubby is kinda rich. always a chick magnet, that. and we all know that heff married a woman 50 or 60 year younger but there is only carnal mating there, no souls involved ;)