Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any Ex Pat Jewellers ??

I have a high end wrist watch which has developed a fault.

I am reluctant to go to a Dominican jeweller so if there any Ex Pat jewellers (English speaking) who may be able to assist me I would be very grateful.

Failing that, could anyone recommend a business here to effect a repair, I am in Puerto Plata?

Thanks.

FB.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a very good one in Sosua. His store is on Pedro Clisante next to the Morua Mai restaurant. His name is Patrick.

I don't know if he does watch repair.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

what do you consider high end? just a complicated mechanism or something very expensive? a friend had his omega fixed in SD after his son happily smashed it on the floor and kept on giggling and smashing until the friend came out to check why the noise.. the cost was a 100 dollars or so, quite a lot.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Patrick does not do watch repairs (at least I don't think so) but he is one of those you can trust and he should be able to tell you who to take it to.

Bob K

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    Patrick does not do watch repairs (at least I don't think so) but he is one of those you can trust and he should be able to tell you who to take it to.

Bob K
    His wife Samantha is also first class.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just curious - why would you trust an ex-pat jeweler,that you do not know, more than a Dominican jeweler, that you do not know?
    If you are just looking for recommendations of jewelers that can be trusted based on people using them before, that's one thing.
    An ex-pat that you do not know could overcharge you just as easily as a Dominican :-)

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MJSantoDomingo View Post
    Just curious - why would you trust an ex-pat jeweler,that you do not know, more than a Dominican jeweler, that you do not know?
    If you are just looking for recommendations of jewelers that can be trusted based on people using them before, that's one thing.
    An ex-pat that you do not know could overcharge you just as easily as a Dominican :-)
    Do you have a recommendation for The OP, or just stirring the pot?

8. Likes Ken, FredBlogs liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MJSantoDomingo View Post
    i believe it's not about overcharging but simply about knowledge and ability.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Nobody in particular. I had a watch fixed and wife's rings re-sized at a random jeweler in downtown SD - but it was all things they could do while I waited, because it was easy work - so I was able to go to anyone.
    I only said that because he said he wanted an Ex-Pat jeweler as opposed to a good jeweler that is capable and trustworthy to work on an expensive watch.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies.

So far I have one questioning my motives and another apparantly wanting to know the make and value of my watch.

I believe it is a fairly simple repair, and yes, the watch is high value, so I do not want to let it out of my sight whilst the repair is undertaken.

I have limited Spanish, hence asking for an Ex Pat English speaker, who if in business or in his/her own home may allow me to be present and explain to me exactly what is being done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast