This happened to my wife couple of days ago...

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
My wife finished shopping at La Sirena and she was one her way to pick up our son from school. She stopped at the stop light at not so crowed area and a rather large lady walked up to the car and looked inside of the car and made eye contact and tried to open the passenger door. Since our car don't have automatic door lock that locks the car when you change the gear away from P, she usually locks the car before even she starts the car by pressing lock button on the remote. I guess the lady was after the hand bag that was on the passenger seat or she had sudden urges of wanting a Asian as friend and wanted a ride or....

Now...

I never had to think about this since almost all the car that I had in US had auto lock system but is there aftermarket system you can put in to lock the car when you start or change gear? I know for fact that my wife will never forget to lock the door now but I seldom lock the door and I just want my wife to be safer. Is this easily/cheaply doable aftermarket or in dealer?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Yes, it is. Some after market alarm systems do this also as a plus. Depending on the car, it could also be a configurable option.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my routine is: i get into the car, lock the door, put on the seat belt, start the car. the door is always, always locked. when i leave from my own driveway i may change the order and put the locks when the gate opens but nonetheless. and since all the cars are designed in an idiotic fashion with no space for a handbag i always place it on the floor, on the passenger side. i do not like for it to be visible.

you can put an automatic lock in any car, i am sure. my old honda capa had manual locks, the ones that look like a little stick you have to press down. the new owner put an automatic system at the cost of 5000 pesos or so. it takes a while to fit that in, thou. a whole day of work.

Apr 13, 2011
Remembering the locks when they are not automatic is something I forget at times, then I get to an intersection and look to see if I remembered to lock the doors.
I also found that getting the windows tinted helps with keeping from staring into the car - and seeing a gringo as a potential target - or seeing my wife driving alone as a target. Lighter tint on the front windshield and darker tint on all the other windows.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and properly dark windows in the boot area so no one can see what's in the back. i have really dark tint in the back windows and a cover for the boot area so no one can see what is there. i do not like the side windows to be very black, makes it impossible to see the mirrors, especially at night.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
We do have tinted windows but I guess it isn't dark enough. Just like dv8, we both hate too dark, but putting in DARK tints on all the windows will in in consideration. We are due for a 10k km service and I will see if dealers has option first.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I always use 3M tint. It's much more expensive (about RD$ 9k for a medium size car), but the 5% tint (darkest) is very dark from the outside, but no too dark to see from the inside out. I still have to lower my window if I need to back up in a dark place, but aside from that it's great. The A/C runs much better and the car doesn't get nearly as hot if parked in the sun. And I could be riding with a whole army in the car for all they know, as they can't see anything to the inside.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
I'll also recommend tinted windows in all windows, even the windshield, supposedly it isn't legal, but I have my car like that, and I've never been bothered by AMET. Even if you don't like your windows to be too dark, I'll still encourage you to get the darkest tint, the one you have to press your face against the window to be able to see inside. It may sound a little extreme, but trust me is deterrent for possible atracadores, they'll think twice about targeting your car, since they won't know if it's an old lady or a some guy with a 9mm behind the wheel. Most of the time i doubt they'll want to take the risk.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no offence but if you put on a tint so dark you need to lower down your windows to maneuver at night then it's dumb, no? open window at night is worse than plain, transparent window. you are putting yourself and your passengers at bigger risk. dark in the back, light in the front is the wisest option. i am not scared to be seen. in fact at times being seen makes it good, often i am let in the traffic just because the drivers want to stare at so they give me way.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
no offence but if you put on a tint so dark you need to lower down your windows to maneuver at night then it's dumb, no? open window at night is worse than plain, transparent window. you are putting yourself and your passengers at bigger risk. dark in the back, light in the front is the wisest option. i am not scared to be seen. in fact at times being seen makes it good, often i am let in the traffic just because the drivers want to stare at so they give me way.

Normally, I only back up when I'm parking. So everybody knows I'm going to be out of the car in a few seconds. Therefore, it doesn't make any difference, don't you think?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think it does. you do not always park to get out of the car. i park to dig in my bag, wait for someone, use my phone. and i back up when i went the wrong way, entered a wrong turn, i'm getting out of the property, parking lot, whatnot.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Different driving habits, I guess then.

;) and since koreano is taking about his wife i presume she does girly stuff as well. and they have a small son so they must also park/stop to attend him only.

May 12, 2005
Get your wife a car like this. Problem solved.

ignobel-truck-470-0209.jpg

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Wow, how sad. Here is Sosua/Cabarete I drive around in my Jeep with the top down day or night. When I go to POP it's during the day so I've never had to worry.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
My car is tinted so dark( windows back and wind screen), I need to open window at night to use mirrors....... not a good thing.
Also I ve had an Amet guy hassle me, saying that law requires people to be able to see in windscreen orsomething like that..... but I got out of it and havent given it a thought since..... Any body knows what the law is??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Koreano, there has been a news blitz in the USA about thieves they call sliders.

Here it happens mostly when a woman is getting gas. They pull up next to the car and open the passenger door to grab the purse and then take off. They're gone before she can react. Gas stations want engine off - and in Park - so doors in many cars are unlocked automatically. It's gotten so bad that in states where you pump your own gas they recommend locking the car as soon as you get out to pump.

What happened to your wife might be a takeoff on this, targeting women at stop lights

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
very interesting, AE. my car has a strange system, the doors remain locked even in park and with engine off. what's more they will not open when pulled, i have to undo the safety first. maybe it is worth to revise the system your car has and change it? better safe than sorry.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Koreano, there has been a news blitz in the USA about thieves they call sliders.

Here it happens mostly when a woman is getting gas. They pull up next to the car and open the passenger door to grab the purse and then take off. They're gone before she can react. Gas stations want engine off - and in Park - so doors in many cars are unlocked automatically. It's gotten so bad that in states where you pump your own gas they recommend locking the car as soon as you get out to pump.

What happened to your wife might be a takeoff on this, targeting women at stop lights

Slider...

I just don't like it. I hope this was very isolated incident and I hope this kind of thing (or attempt of it)don't happen in DR, US or any other places. I thank god that nothing happen to my wife but I just don't want to think about what could've had happened. She is still kind of in edgy mode yesterday, I called her couple of hours ago and it seems like it's okay now. It just sucks with all the crazy drivers, pasolas and missing potholes, now I have to watch people walking toward our cars too.