Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default This happened to my wife couple of days ago...

My wife finished shopping at La Sirena and she was one her way to pick up our son from school. She stopped at the stop light at not so crowed area and a rather large lady walked up to the car and looked inside of the car and made eye contact and tried to open the passenger door. Since our car don't have automatic door lock that locks the car when you change the gear away from P, she usually locks the car before even she starts the car by pressing lock button on the remote. I guess the lady was after the hand bag that was on the passenger seat or she had sudden urges of wanting a Asian as friend and wanted a ride or....

Now...

I never had to think about this since almost all the car that I had in US had auto lock system but is there aftermarket system you can put in to lock the car when you start or change gear? I know for fact that my wife will never forget to lock the door now but I seldom lock the door and I just want my wife to be safer. Is this easily/cheaply doable aftermarket or in dealer?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it is. Some after market alarm systems do this also as a plus. Depending on the car, it could also be a configurable option.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

my routine is: i get into the car, lock the door, put on the seat belt, start the car. the door is always, always locked. when i leave from my own driveway i may change the order and put the locks when the gate opens but nonetheless. and since all the cars are designed in an idiotic fashion with no space for a handbag i always place it on the floor, on the passenger side. i do not like for it to be visible.

you can put an automatic lock in any car, i am sure. my old honda capa had manual locks, the ones that look like a little stick you have to press down. the new owner put an automatic system at the cost of 5000 pesos or so. it takes a while to fit that in, thou. a whole day of work.

4. Likes Rattus_Rattus, NYWadjet liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Remembering the locks when they are not automatic is something I forget at times, then I get to an intersection and look to see if I remembered to lock the doors.
    I also found that getting the windows tinted helps with keeping from staring into the car - and seeing a gringo as a potential target - or seeing my wife driving alone as a target. Lighter tint on the front windshield and darker tint on all the other windows.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

and properly dark windows in the boot area so no one can see what's in the back. i have really dark tint in the back windows and a cover for the boot area so no one can see what is there. i do not like the side windows to be very black, makes it impossible to see the mirrors, especially at night.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

We do have tinted windows but I guess it isn't dark enough. Just like dv8, we both hate too dark, but putting in DARK tints on all the windows will in in consideration. We are due for a 10k km service and I will see if dealers has option first.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I always use 3M tint. It's much more expensive (about RD$ 9k for a medium size car), but the 5% tint (darkest) is very dark from the outside, but no too dark to see from the inside out. I still have to lower my window if I need to back up in a dark place, but aside from that it's great. The A/C runs much better and the car doesn't get nearly as hot if parked in the sun. And I could be riding with a whole army in the car for all they know, as they can't see anything to the inside.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll also recommend tinted windows in all windows, even the windshield, supposedly it isn't legal, but I have my car like that, and I've never been bothered by AMET. Even if you don't like your windows to be too dark, I'll still encourage you to get the darkest tint, the one you have to press your face against the window to be able to see inside. It may sound a little extreme, but trust me is deterrent for possible atracadores, they'll think twice about targeting your car, since they won't know if it's an old lady or a some guy with a 9mm behind the wheel. Most of the time i doubt they'll want to take the risk.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

no offence but if you put on a tint so dark you need to lower down your windows to maneuver at night then it's dumb, no? open window at night is worse than plain, transparent window. you are putting yourself and your passengers at bigger risk. dark in the back, light in the front is the wisest option. i am not scared to be seen. in fact at times being seen makes it good, often i am let in the traffic just because the drivers want to stare at so they give me way.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    no offence but if you put on a tint so dark you need to lower down your windows to maneuver at night then it's dumb, no? open window at night is worse than plain, transparent window. you are putting yourself and your passengers at bigger risk. dark in the back, light in the front is the wisest option. i am not scared to be seen. in fact at times being seen makes it good, often i am let in the traffic just because the drivers want to stare at so they give me way.
    Normally, I only back up when I'm parking. So everybody knows I'm going to be out of the car in a few seconds. Therefore, it doesn't make any difference, don't you think?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast