DR education

N

Nicole

asking this question will thoroughly display my ignorance concerning things in the DR..... BUT HEY!! I GOTTA KNOW!
for a dominican native that has not finished schooling... what is the likely hood that he/she would be able to get a decent (decent according to US standards) job..... concidering...that this individual has 2-3yrs of schooling that he/she still needs to finish........ thanks!!!

E

ECH, M.D.

What exactly do you mean by FINISHED schooling.
Finish University? High School? Primary School?

Not only do they need the education but they need to be well connected if you get my drift. I don't care how qualified you are, without proper connections, forget it. There are many who are totally unqualified for their position and have it simply because of their family or their politics or both.

H

Henry

And a lot of people never finish school or university! And perhaps never get educated!

But I guess, in this country education and working people are just not honored enough! Just like the honesty!

Henry

E

ECH, M.D.

Yes, Henry but education is not the same as intelligence. I know many "educated" people who, in fact, are not very intelligent and are actually dumber that hell! My own grandma is a good example. She only made it to McGuffy's Sixth Reader but one of the smartest, most intelligent women I ever knew. Of course, she read voraciously and was "self educated". She was well traveled and could talk on any subject. She knew the value of education and learning and as you say.....many do not. Education of the masses has a very low priority in the DR.

C

Claudia

Just remember that you can't compare the Dominican Republic with countries like the U.S. or Canada (just to give you an example). Many families are very poor and sometimes children have to stop studying so they can help their mothers, which are usually single mothers. Many times the problem is that the closest school is very far away, maybe there's no school at all, or maybe the schools are falling apart (public schools). Children do want to study and want to finish but they just don't get a chance.

N

Nicole

thanks for the responses... but i do still have one more question.... i know that claudia said not to compare the two countries... but.... is it possible for a person to complete a certain level of education,and then after being self taught... take some sort of test to get his diploma... or whatever it is called???? thanks again!!!

E

ECH, M.D.

If you believe that, then I have a bridge I would like to sell you in Brooklyn, clear title.
School is required until age 16.
School system is abominable; three sessions of maybe 3.5 hours.
Sometimes the teachers can't read much better than the students.
Teachers demand more money but do little or nothing to improve their skills.
In this mixed up system, if a student asks a question it is looked upon as challenging the authority of the teacher!
Education has a very low priority for the working class and the government and for different reasons. The Rich send their kids abroad to study and for good reason. They know the importance and the education is superior.
And in the end.....it is the kids who get the short end of the stick but by the time they realize it ......it's too late for many.

E

ECH, M.D.

In a word.........NO.
They must have all sorts of school documents and results of National Exams to qualify for their diploma. They do not have the equivalent of a GED (Graduate Equivalency Diploma) such as issued in the USA

H

hillbilly

Mickey D will be tops...

I am going to assume that you mean 2-3 years of High School. And yes, a GED (i think it means "Graduate Equivalency Degree) is available in most places. It will serve to get into Community Colleges and some Universities.

But, ECH's grandma and my father in law excluded, in today's world, non- high school graduates are qualified for very little beyond menial, or stoop labor taskings.

As an aside, this educational disparity also cause xtreme pressures in a relationship, because education does educate, and conversations are important. Social awareness is important. Appreciation of nice things like theater, books, antiques, music (beyond merengue and bachata and salsa), whatever. Political analisis, situational problems are more easily resolved thru education. Also social responsibility might be, in part, due to education.

HB, the educator talking here....

P

Pib

In defense of Dominican teachers.

I have to admit I am biased. My mother is a teacher, teaching is her calling, her passion, her life. She is a teacher of the old school and yet she works hard to keep her knowledge up to date. 35 years of continous service in the public school system, many university degrees and a C.V. that makes me green of envy and yet... she makes less than RD$9,000.00(529 USD).

She knows how debilitated the public school system is and she doesn't make apologies for her colleagues, but how in the name of god can you expect teachers to get an education with a salary that can barely afford a daily newspaper?. I am glad I didn't go to a public school, although I would have been happy to if I had had a teacher like my mom. How could my parents afford a good education for their children? Simple, dad is a businessman, sadly he considers my mother's job as a hobby. In a way it is.

Pib
Proudest daughter of a teacher.

M

Marc

Re: Educated conversation

One of the things that my wife and I missed the most when we first arrived in this country is conversation at the level that we are accustomed to back in Canada. We were so used to being surrounded by people at the same education level (high school plus university/college/tech school) for all our lives, that we did not realize how much of a difference it makes.

We have slowly built a good group of friends now that is what we are accustomed to...some Dominican, some expats...but before now I never realized just how important formal education really is. It truly does impact the way you think, solve problems, and behave.

marc

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: Mickey D will be tops...

H.B. are you saying that a GED is available in the D.R.? I was informed that it was not. But you are the expert in education and you are so correct about how an education is so important to really enjoy and appreciate life. And like Marc, I have noticed that my friends who have not had the opportunity for much education do not think in the same way. What I am saying is they do not approach problems the way I do. I think a good example is my maid. I purchased a commercial type mop bucket for her to make her work easier. She refuses to use it. I have demonstrated how to work it and all but she will not use it. Says, "well, this is not the way we do things in the Dominican Republic". They will do things by "rote" without thinking why they do it or if there is maybe a better way of doing it.
I have the general impression that high school graduates in the DR (public system) have a comperable education to about an 8th grade education in the USA. And yes, a high school diploma here is used I think just to prove the individual can read and write. This is a long and interesting topic and the educational system suffers many ills here that my posting can not solve.
BTW: Hillbilly, you mentioned Mickey D's.....would you believe that the franchise on 27 February a few blocks from Lincoln CLOSED this week. Lack of business I was told. Can not imagine McDonalds closing for lack of business!

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: In defense of Dominican teachers.

Pib,
I did not mean to imply ALL teachers were unqualified! There are some like your Mom that probably are over qualified for this system! But she is a dedicated teacher and that is what counts. But you must agree that most teachers just put in their time to collect their money. They have no lesson plans, no preparation, nothing. And this is even at the university level!!!!
And it all boils down to YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
You pay poor wages, and you get poor teachers. I have always maintained that teachers should be among the highest paid in the land......after all, they are preparing our future for us!!!
And the kids.....the key to unlock the door of poverty and dispair is EDUCATION.
Of course, the government is more interested that the kids report to school in a PROPER UNIFORM than an interest in QUALITY OF EDUCATION.
I saw a bumper sticker once that I never forgot:
IF YOU CAN READ THIS......HUG A TEACHER!

N

Natasha

Well, ECH, a couple of graduate degrees later I still get down on my hands and knees to scrub clean my bathtub!! :) Never did think those scrub-free sprays ever worked. I am dying to contribute more to this thread (must admit to disagree with some notions here) but work OVERWHELMS me :-(

Regards, Natasha

G

GringoCarlos

I think I know why McDonald's has a lack of business and doesn't seem to work here- can you imagine paying 28 pesos ( the equivalent of $1.65) for one sad, little, thin cheeseburger, when you can get fried chicken and rice and beans and platanos, that will carry you for the next 8 hours , for the same price??

Oh, that's right- it's AMERICAN food and you must certainly be rich if you are eating American food.....

M

Marc

Re: McD prices

I live in Sosua, work in PP, and would pay $10USD for a big mac and fries at this very moment, as I sit to eat my daily helping of drumstick and rice/beans from a styrofoam container!

*sigh*

marc ;)

C

criss colon

On tuesdays a cheeseburger is 18 pesos. Criss

G

GringoCarlos

See you on Tues - if they're still.

there. Heard from friends that the Mickie D's on El Conde closed recently too.......

H

hillbilly

Re: In defense of Dominican teachers.

You are absolutly right!!

Way back when, a teacher was respected and honered in his/her community. Their opinions were sought out on many issues.

Sadly this is no longer true.

HB