Honda Pilot

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
A while go there was a thread on vehicles, and which are good to buy. I think the Honda Pilot was
mentioned and someone gave a good or bad recommendation on that car. I don't recall who it was but someone who seemed to know what he was talking about.

Can anyone help me out: is the Honda Pilot a good vehicle to buy (e.g. 2008).

Jan 9, 2004
A while go there was a thread on vehicles, and which are good to buy. I think the Honda Pilot was
mentioned and someone gave a good or bad recommendation on that car. I don't recall who it was but someone who seemed to know what he was talking about.

Can anyone help me out: is the Honda Pilot a good vehicle to buy (e.g. 2008).

Best years for the Pilot were 2007, 2008, 2011. Note the '08 had some minor climate control issues.

Pilots in general suffer poor fuel mileage and are somewhat expensive to repair (parts). Overall though, a quality vehicle...especially if it does not need any repairs.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was within initial budget, even including small fixes here and there. good price. but also we paid all the money, straight away. i think both seller and buyer ended happy :)

i will add that the seller was a fellow dr1er so i would not want to tell the price out of respect for him. if he wants to say it it's totally ok with me.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I have a Honda Pilot and love it, an '04. But it's for sale....want a newer one. PM for details.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I have a Honda Pilot and love it, an '04. But it's for sale....want a newer one. PM for details.
Thanks, but I want something newer than that, I'm just coming out if a Mitsubishi Montero 2002. I always thought these were decent vehicles, but man what headaches it has given me. It's a hassle to have only one vehicle when living in the capital, but I'm very relieved I got rid of the Montero.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, i live in a campo of puerto plata but what i have seen in terms of SD traffic seems to suggest it is best to drive a car smaller than honda pilot. i would definitely suggest you look at the same vehicles we were considering: we wanted medium size, decent gas consumption, easy to park. all those things have even more value in SD.

tell us what are your picks or your requirements. maybe someone is selling just the car for you but they did not consider advertising it here? this is how i got my car :)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Well, I like a big car, but that might not be so smart considering mileage. When reading your thread again I realized the Honda CRV would be a smart move, but I really don't like how that car looks. Even though basically I am going to let my wife drive the bigger / safer car and I will 'sacrifice' myself and take the peugeot 307 (I actually like that car in the week, but in the weekends the big car will be the family car, so I want to at least like it a little bit.

I do like Toyota RAV4, but they are probably above my budget. I like the VW Tiguan as well, that someone on DR1 is selling, but that's above my budget too, besides with one European car I already have enough expensive parts and board computer solution that in the end just have no solution.

I want to spend up to 750,000 pesos, but wouldnt mind if it would be just below 700,000. My wife keeps telling me she likes Kia Sorento or Sportage, Hyunday Santa Fe or Tucson, but I think she actually likes the models after 2011, which are again too expensive.

It has to be a SUV type, I need to drive in the city 5 days a week for my work and if there is flooding I need to be able to take the big car, besides, for trips out of the capital an SUV is also a need.

I saw a really nice Mazda CX-7 (2010) for just under 900,000. If that one was 100,000 cheaper I would consider raising my budget with 50,000 pesos.

When still living in Holland I almost bought (leased) a Suzuki Grand Vitara, actually while it was the only SUV type that was within what I wanted so spend, but I actually do think these are for women.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
how about honda element? it's a cool looking car, i think. or how about toyota highlander? we had this prior to santa fe and miespos really loved it, considered it the best of all cars we owned.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I own a 2007 Santa Fe and I like everything about it except it has a huge blind spot, and takes just a little too much room for parking. I also own a 2007 Rav4 in Canada and I would love to get one here.
Toyota RAV4 2008 En Venta en Rep?blica Dominicana @SuperCarros.com - #326904
The six cylinder gives you far more power, which I think is very important here for getting out of potential accidents and gets almost the same MPG as the four cylinder.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I didn't even know the Honda Element, but it's definitely not a bad option (talking about looks). The Highlander I checked out yesterday, the not too old models are above 800k.

The Rav4 of the link is also a nice option. Too bad it's above 800 and only 'ligeramente' negotiable, but having a Toyota might be worth spending a little bit more. Maybe I would even like to have a 2008 RAV4 more than a CX-7 2010. Two of my sisters in law both have a CX-9 and their husbands regret buying them, because of (first of all) mpg and problems the vehicles have given.

To complicate things: I am also looking houses in Holland.....:nervous:, so I'm either going to buy a car here, or sell a house and a car and buy a house in Holland. Anyone interested in a 250m2 two story house in Las Praderas in a 10 house 'residencial' and a Peugeot 307....:bored:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
rav4 and crv are bothe best and most popular of small/medium SUVs, both here and in the states. it makes them very expensive. which is why despite all that is good about them they are difficult to consider to buy if you are on a budget.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
My sister in-law has a pilot and she loves it. I lean more toward the crv and the rav4 but agree they are a bit pricey here. We are still thinking about brining over the Nissan Rouge from the US, I really like the car. The model up from that one is the Murano which I would prefer but it is a little out of the price range.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
murano is a beautiful car, especially the first model because the new grill is just nasty. even james may from top gear really liked murano when it came out. my mother in law had this car for few years. of all the stuff my i laws had over the years this was definitely my number one favourite.