new cholera outbreak in san cristobal

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
earlier today listin diario wrote about possible cholera patients in san cristobal:
Registran pacientes con s?ntomas de c?lera en SC - listindiario.com

the story was now confirmed by salud publica and diario libre reports:
Nuevo brote de c?lera en San Crist?bal - DiarioLibre.com

since the first cases in november 2010 there were over 400 deaths and nearly 21 thousand people hospitalized.

we said this before: wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. avoid food and drinks that can be contaminated: coming from unsure source, street food, tap water and so on.
at first sings of uncontrollable runs seek medical advice. store some hydrating drinks at home. you can buy, in any pharmacy, a powder to be dissolved in one liter of bottled or boiled water. it costs only 50 pesos.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Wow! Now is the time to be extremely careful and eat more home cooked meals versus street food.:paranoid:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, they mean the water from aqueduct:
Z 101

the problem here is that just one person can contaminate large area. that person could only "spoil" enough water to get few more people sick and then those people will produce more contaminants and it's an avalanche in the making.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Take EXTREEM CARE, where you stick your tongue! :lick::lick::lick::rolleyes:
Does "Pichardo" know about THIS???????
We need a "Doctor" to help out, a "Spin Doctor" to "Sat It Isn't So"!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
Take EXTREEM CARE, where you stick your tongue! :lick::lick::lick::rolleyes:
Does "Pichardo" know about THIS???????
We need a "Doctor" to help out, a "Spin Doctor" to "Sat It Isn't So"!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Oh boy...I was going to head out next week. I have 2 girls that I like to take their temperature with my tongue, they live in Haina. I am thinking now, maybe I should re-think this visit. I know I have no control once I am there.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Confused"?????????????????????????????????/
Don't worry, after multiple exposures, I have built up immunities to all "Orally Transmitted Diseases"!
You will TOO!
"Practice, Practice, Practice"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
All of the departments in Haiti are contaminated, As in all the water sources. So doesn't that mean that the bacteria is just in the rivers now? If there have already been over 400 deaths on this side?

http://www.paho.org/hq/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=22575&Itemid=

i would say the bacteria is in the rivers since a looong time, hence the urgent recommendations (since long, that's nothing new of now) to not consume anything from the rivers nor bath in the rivers. sure the motoconchos and conches still will wash their vehicles in the rivers and stay a high risk factor to pick something up and spread it around.
who consumes crabs or fishes or anything else from the rivers since cholera broke out, is taking willingly a very high risk to get infected.

bad situation, if a province like for example San Cristobal is "infected", and aparently thru all different social levels/area, then a first measurement would be to shut down the province, noone in and nobody out, for no reason, no exceptions, to go down to the source of the outbreak and to know what(Aquaeducts, Rivers etc) is infected and to shut that down as a future source(by closing such rivers/Watersources), and to take person by person to check the health and give apropriate treatments where needed.
sounds harsh?
yes, it IS harsh, but if a specific province/area is the source of a outbreak, such hard measurements(plus several more harsh ones) are the only chance to maybe stop it from spreading all over the country uncontrollable, definitively unreversably uncontrollable.

Mike

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is bound to spread all over the country again. no one is going to shut down the province or even a city, cholera is not some sort of hollywood contagion style disease. mortality is rather low. this was bound to happen with the recent weather and ongoing rubbish issues (i do not believe a word that poor trash collection is without blame here).

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I was out there, in San Cristobal last week, and after the beach my friend wanted to take me to the banerio, to the river where there is a pool but when we got there is was utterly jam packed with people. The parking area was full like a rock concert. They had parking lot attendents.

Wheras the beach had been pretty empty!

I think that onset of cholera is pretty quick, isn't it? So that might not be the source.. and I am sure that they are out testing that river now. Or should be.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I was out there, in San Cristobal last week, and after the beach my friend wanted to take me to the banerio, to the river where there is a pool but when we got there is was utterly jam packed with people. The parking area was full like a rock concert. They had parking lot attendents.

Wheras the beach had been pretty empty!

I think that onset of cholera is pretty quick, isn't it? So that might not be the source.. and I am sure that they are out testing that river now. Or should be.

Which beach did you go to? Was the river you went to "La Toma"? Parking lot always packed.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Which beach did you go to? Was the river you went to "La Toma"? Parking lot always packed.

Went to Las Salinas.. on the Bay Side.. Yes it was La Toma.. do not know what river that is.

Evidently there are lot of rivers there.. although I guess a lot of them are being used for hydro electricity as the beds are dry gravel when they reach the sea

but

El experto manifest? que en esa zona nacen los r?os Haina, Nigua, Nizao, Ban?, Ocoa y Yaque del Sur en la parte meridional y el Yuna, Yaque del Note y R?o Cam? en la regi?n septentrional.

so ..

www.NoticiasSC.com San Crist?bal, Rep?blica Dominicana: Experto Hidrol?gico plantea r?os de San Crist?bal y Ban? est?n muy degradados