The Haitian Occupation of the Dominican Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I have located an interesting article on Justor.. which one can read for free by registering

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

ok in 1795 under the terms of the Treaty of Basle, Spain ceded Spain's 2/3rds of the island to France

in 1794 the population on the eastern half was 35,000 White, 38,000 Freedman, 30,000 Slaves

In 1801, Haitian troops under Tousiant Louverture invaded to take possestion of the former Spanish colony, Under the orders of the French Reoybkucan Governor, Estaban Laveaux, colonists who wished to leave were free to do so but under the new new laws of the Republican France there was no slavery and therefore no "men" could be transported off the island as belongings.

----from the article cited above

so. really.. Spain had already ceded the colony and France already held it by rights. Haiti under Boyer was making a deal for payment for the western third of the territory..... but ...

really the DR sorta got the best two thirds without a whole lot of blood or treaure, no? At least one could make a case for that.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
ok in 1795 under the terms of the Treaty of Basle, Spain ceded Spain's 2/3rds of the island to France

in 1794 the population on the eastern half was 35,000 White, 38,000 Freedman, 30,000 Slaves

so. really.. Spain had already ceded the colony and France already held it by rights. Haiti under Boyer was making a deal for payment for the western third of the territory..... but ...

really the DR sorta got the best two thirds without a whole lot of blood or treaure, no? At least one could make a case for that.

What it doesn't say is that in the year 1814 France gave back its claims on the east, at gunpoint from the Holy Alliance, who by them forced Napoleon into his first exile at Elba. The only thing it did was to confirm a situation that existed de facto, since the locals here, under the Spanish flag, had already ousted the broken remnants of the Leclerc expedition here after the bloody encounter at Palo Hincado, and the subsequent surrender of Santo Domingo city, which they sieged with British help in 1809.

Keywords: Louis Ferrand, Juan Sanchez Ramirez, Palo Hincado, La Reconquista.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Ok.. I am reading this piece like a John le Carre since it is not a time in Haitian history which I have studied much.. Turns out that Napoleon's troops DID land here on the eastern side. And reestablished slavery.. *I did know that that took Toussaint back to France.. where he died in prison..

back to Ken Follett----

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Ok.. I am reading this piece like a John le Carre since it is not a time in Haitian history which I have studied much.. Turns out that Napoleon's troops DID land here on the eastern side. And reestablished slavery.. *I did know that that took Toussaint back to France.. where he died in prison..

back to Ken Follett----

Yes, but I'm discussing the fact that all historians taking an Haitian bias always seek legitimacy for their intervention here on the Basel treaty, when the fact is that ever since the Revolution in 91', France would never have control of all the sides of the island. In fact, they delayed taking possession here until the time they could send effective forces here (which happened with the Leclerc expedition), and before that happened, the people at the Directory and even the afterwards First Consul (Bonaparte), expressly forbade Toussaint from taking control. Agent Roume's insistence on this was one of the reasons behind Toussaint's imprisoning and deporting him.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
are you reading the Justor article, NS? It says 1809 that France abandoned the Capital.. and the Spanish colony was restored.. It also said that Nunez was forced to give Boyer the keys

but has a great quote from Toussaint about said keys .. wherein he asks that they be handed to him lest they think he took them.. great thing to say when you have an army behind you and the French Empire and your opponents have none.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
are you reading the Justor article, NS? It says 1809 that France abandoned the Capital.. and the Spanish colony was restored.. It also said that Nunez was forced to give Boyer the keys

but has a great quote from Toussaint about said keys .. wherein he asks that they be handed to him lest they think he took them.. great thing to say when you have an army behind you and the French Empire and your opponents have none.

Yeah, I just assumed that you believed that it would all end there. The 1814 deal isn't mentioned much as it is, and it's important to leave it in the open. The Holy Alliance, except for a few territorial changes, brought the colonial situation to the status quo ante bellum pre-1792

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
The thing that I find so interesting here is that when one starts getting into the history here it has so much more to do with European history .. with the fight of the big empires over their colonial possessions.

Funny, of course, when one looks back, to see how few people were really involved in. But how also how much money, And how the French colonies, particulary Haiti, had so much to do with the wealth of France.

And I have to wonder, really, about the horrible massacres here, which were indeed bloddy,...becayse by then the slave trade had stopped,, but then this was the ONLY place that it had stopped, And France wanted the entire island and had gone back on its revolution, betrayed its words of freedom, reinstated slavery in its colonies. That certainly must have enraged the Haitians former slaves. Certainly the French were after their colony.. to put back in place the sort of slavery that had been in place before independence.

I have heard the Haitians talk about "we defeated Napoleon's army"... I did not actually quite realize that Napoleaon's army was HERE .. on this side.. not over in Port au Prince.. and, of course, I doubt that many Haitians or Dominicans do eitther. Both places were known as San Domingo .. weren't they.. of a sort?

just putting the whole thing back into perspective.. that the Haitians were in fear of being enslaved again.. surrounded by empires.. all that.. I mean 1801 1820 ... the US civil war was 1865. Haiti was WAY ahead of every one in emancipation, surrounded by slave countries with ships with guns.

I can understand more why Boyer may have decided to just kill whitey.....And I guess that is really what the Dominicans are afraid will happen again.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The Dominican Experience
325 years Spain (1492-1801, 1809-1821, 1861-1865)
22 years Haiti (1822-1844)
9 years United States (1916-1924, 1965-1966)
8 years France (1801-1809)

The Haitian Experience
107 years France (1697-1804)
19 years United States (1915-1934)

One generation is approximately 25 years.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
double post from the other forum Re Boyer

BY J. N. L?GER
Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary of Haiti
in the United States

"FAC ET SPERA"

New York and Washington
THE NEALE PUBLISHING COMPANY

"The vicinity of this Power had always made the Haitians uneasy; they were in consequence determined to embrace the first opportunity to get rid of it. Whilst at Cap-Haitien, Boyer had many interviews with secret agents sent by the inhabitants of the Spanish portion of the island. He in turn despatched to them trustworthy emissaries with the mission of directly preparing the way for the union of the whole country under one government. However, Nu?ez de Caceres, one of the leaders of the uprising then being prepared against Spain, thought that it would be more advantageous to establish an independent State and to form with Haiti nothing more than an offensive and defensive alliance; according to his idea the new State was to become one of the Colombian Confederation. Boyer lost no time in taking the necessary measures for the frustration of this plan. Before Caceres had had time to give the signal for the insurrection, Monte-Christi and Laxavon hoisted the Haitian flag (November 15, 1821). On the night of November 30 and on December 1 Caceres and his followers took possession of the most important posts in the town of Santo Domingo; and the Spanish Governor, Pascal Real, unable to uphold Spain's authority, left the place on the 5th of December. Still believing in the possibility of carrying out his idea of independence, Caceres hoisted the Colombian flag and proclaimed the establishment of the Dominican Republic. But the public mind had already been won over to the cause of Haiti, the flag of which was floating over such important towns as Puerto-Plata, Macoris, Banica, Azua, etc. In support of these friendly demonstrations President Boyer, on the 16th of January, 1822, left Port-au-Prince
at the head of 14,000 soldiers for Santo Domingo. The inhabitants of the former Spanish territory welcomed the President of Haiti and his army with the greatest enthusiasm. Nu?ez de Caceres was unable to resist the trend of public opinion. Yielding to the wish of his fellow-citizens he hoisted the Haitian flag at Santo Domingo on the 19th of January, 1822. And on the 9th of February President Boyer entered the town, loudly cheered by the inhabitants. Without bloodshed both the former French and Spanish portions of the island became united and threw in their destinies one with the other; and for twenty-two years the Haitian flag floated over the whole island of Haiti.
However, a few French colonists at Samana were striving to prevent this peaceful union. They still were slave-owners. At the first demonstrations on behalf of Haiti they had hastened to ask for the protection of the Governor of Martinique. In consequence a French squadron was despatched to Samana, which they found, upon arriving, already in possession of the Haitians. The firm attitude assumed by the new occupants compelled the French to withdraw. In this way was slavery abolished throughout the whole island.
After organizing the administration and taking such measures as were necessitated by the circumstances, Boyer left Santo Domingo on March 10, and on the 6th of May, 1822, he was at Port-au-Princ

Haiti: Her History and Her Detractors/Part I: Chapter XII - Wikisource, the free online library

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
That doesn't sound like "invited in" to me. Maybe stoll in with an army that couldn't be defeated...with the intent to conquer if necessary...

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
Treaty of Paris (1814) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ok.. so Spain got back the eastern portion of the Island..

but France did not recognize the independence of Haiti til 1838?

thought that Boyer signed the reparations papers.. ok.. back to search function.. Wonder if the folks at the time thought that France would still take Haiti back? Guess that was still a possiblity.

This was always a fear of the Haitians. Any military person realizes that the "flanks" are normally where one is most vulnerable. Reason why Sadaam Hussein gassed the Shiites among other reasons. The latter were allowing the Iranians to infiltrate because, even though they are Iraqis, they shared the same sect of Islam as the Iranians.

I'm learning as we go along here and I wish more Dominicans would also. I personally believe that some authors purposely wrote or disseminated inaccurate information to keep the populace ignorant of facts. The purpose is intended to have the two countries in a perpetual cycle of hate and mistrust.

It's wasn't in the masters interest to let the majority know that they were saved by these so called "subhuman" people. If the house slave and yard slave hate each other, then the masters inevitably wins.

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
not quite Nals.. at least not for Haiti

that would be

107 years of Slavery
19 years of Occupation

currently under UN occupation

and Colombus first established his landing in the current Haitian territory

Christopher Columbus established a small settlement called La Navidad, near the modern town of Cap Haitien, built from the timbers of his wrecked ship Santa Mar?a, during his first voyage in December 1492. When he returned in 1493 on his second voyage he found the settlement had been destroyed and all 39 settlers killed. Colombus continued east and founded a new settlement at La Isabela on the territory of the present day Dominican Republic in 1493. The capital of the colony was moved to Santo Domingo in 1496, on the south west coast of the island also in the territory of the present day Dominican Republic. The Spanish returned to western Hispaniola in 1502, establishing a settlement at Yaguana, near modern day L?ogane. A second settlement was established on the north coast in 1504 called Puerto Real near modern Fort Liberte ? which in 1578 was relocated to a nearby site and renamed Bayaha.[citation neede

just that there was gold in Mexico, I guess and not enough Spaniard to go around the island....

Status
Not open for further replies.