Where to look

VaPhil

Sep 12, 2009
Hello all.
We are thinking of moving to the DR from the US but don't know what areas to look at renting in.
We are both 59 and retired looking for an area near or on the beach with good amenities.
Looking to rent until we find somewhere we like.
Have a retirement income of @ $4500 US per month to pay for everything.
Can you steer me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Good news is, you have a good amount of monthly income.
That said, have you ever been here before???
I like "Juan Dolio" for it's location, 45 minutes, or less from Santo Domingo, where you can get good medical care if needed.
Check out the "Metro Country Club" there.
"Casa de Campo" is nearby, very expensive, and worth it!
Oscar de La Renta, fashion designer started it.
East coast would be "Punta Cana". Remote, but that can be a plus.
North, Cabarete, Samana,and MANY other nice places.
Check out the DR1 Classified Ads.
Lots of nice homes, condos, for rent there.
I hope you find something you LOVE!
Best thing about your post is that you know you must rent first, and BUY, if EVER, later.
Health issues, or not being able to live here for a thousand other reasons, sometimes make it necessary for "Seniors", and sometimes "Juniors", to leave the DR, and they may be forced to sell their real estate at a significant loss.
THOSE are the bust places to BUY, if you ever do.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I would perhaps start out in Juan Dolio as CC suggested. Then you can explore more. That will give you a base near the Capital so that you do not go "rock happy" as in bored to death in a beach community .. the first year. There is a good English library, an International Women's Club, golf, as well as a beach and good medical all reasonable distance.

There are other North Coast towns with expats in them that you can visit and see what suits you.

Of the 9 plus million here 3 million live in the Capital and JD is the closest beach community to us.

I live in the Capital but am a die hard urbanite. I did try two years on the beach but was bored.

It is really hard to advise anyone without knowing them.

Your income will be fine anywhere.

Don't forget to get local health insurance before you are 65,

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think that you should first establish your priorities. You have plenty to live on, so that is the easiest part. Do not advertize that fact.
Just this week I saw a place called Infinity Blu, which I thought was beautiful...and they rent. Then I was in another place called Ocean Point near Punta Goleta in Cabarete...also pretty nice place...both beach front.

And look inland also. You would be closer to quality health care and a more varied intellectural/cultural life. But no beach.

The tri-city area of Santiago, La Vega and Moca and the surrounding area is a maybe.

Everyone here will tell you to rent for a good period of time before doing anything. And be careful, very very careful, about buying anything here..

Good luck and good hunting.

Cordially,
HB

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
With your monthly budget you can find a nice place in a nice area and still put away a little something for that nest egg. Do you want city living, beach living or somewhat country living? Come spend some time in a few places here and then decide. Agree rent before you buy. Good luck.

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
LoL - Nest egg? he is retiring..F@ck the nest egg..now it's time to live.

Juan Dolio::thumbs up

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Everyone needs to have some sort of nest egg ok...Only those with no knowledge of life here would live here without some sort of financial safety net. Just because you retire does not mean you do not need a back up plan. Anyone that lives here and has some sort of common sense knows this.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Depends on what you are looking for. We are both retired (56 for me and 50 for my better half) when we moved here over 7 years ago. We settled on the north coast between Sosua and Cabarete where we build a villa. There is a very large active expat community here with folks from all over the world.

We have some beautiful beaches, good restaurants and a nice laid back lifestyle. Santiago is just over an hour away for "city shopping and good medical care. There is also pretty good medical care here in the area as well.

Have you been to the DR before?? Come and visit for a month or two, explore and see if the country "fits" for you. It is not for everyone.

Bob K

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I "second" the "NEST EGG" advice.
People with some money in the bank sleep better!
Just NOT in a Dominican Bank! :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
When you have an emergency here, medical,legal,car burns up, house is lost, you will need ready CASH, to put things right!
I know your comment was from being finally free, to live the "GOOD LIFE", but financial responsibility goes on FOREVER! :cry::cry::cry:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC