Baby Budgie Food/Pet Stores/Puerto Plata Area

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Hello,

I just joined this site, been wanting to do so for many Years, so here I am..I just moved from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata and now I find myself in a very bad situation for my Budgies, have a flock of 58, 2 Love Birds and 1 Pigeon which I rescued 3 Years ago.. My dilemma is baby budgie/parakeet food. In SD you can find this in Bravo, upstairs, very nice pet store there..But here, I have not found much yet and now I'm out of this special food..I had to buy baby cereal, Pedialyte, and a few other ingredients to try to mimic their true formula. Its working so far (2 Days) but I fear they will soon die. They age from 2 1/2 weeks to 4 weeks old, 7 in all, 2 I placed with the Dad hoping he will wean those guys, but the 5 are too young to wean..The Hen decided to stop feeding, so I had to pull them to hand feed

I need budgie/parakeet formula made by Katlee or Exact, can be anything really...I only found 2 pet stores, which one had the formula, looked very old and was 1,000 pesos where Bravo sells theirs for 400 pesos, which I did buy it, just ran out 2 days ago..Right now I don't care about the cost..I live right off of Calle 5, street 5, and Avenida Manolo Alvarez Justo, not sure of the spelling..I heard there is a store down by the baseball field, but not sure where that is from me. If you have any pet stores that you know of, please post the name and number if you have it. I would like to call them first before going there only to find out they don't carry it.

I also have a friend in SD that can send me some via the Metro, but that may not be until Tuesday. And again, I fear that they will die without the proper nutrition, they have a very high metabolism, almost like a super athlete so to speak and I need to feed them every 3-4 hours. Sorry for the long post, but I need some urgent help..

Thanks so much!!!!

Skynet

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Thanks so much for your replies, going to respond to a few PMS asap!! since I may be able to get that food today...WOW!! Thanks again for all of you and this site!!!!

Skynet

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
BTW, the Hagen food is much better than Katlee or exact..This mixes very well, no powder pockets when you make it hot...This is the same food I bought last Month for 1,000...Get that..God, but it was their last bag and it looked 20 Years old, had no choice..LOL..Just glad it was airlocked, otherwise I never would have taken it...Whelp, I hope to hear from you again.. need to feed my other 2 guys now and I know they are not liking this baby food..Very hard to get them to eat it where the formula is an all out go! don't know when to stop..LOL..I only pray I get help the fast enough although I know this baby food is helping, no idea when it will take its toll from lack of the proper nutrition...I Will be away for a bit, but will check back asap..

Thanks to everyone so much again!!

Skynet

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and there i was thinking them colourful fellows eat seeds and fruits. one learns something every day...

in any case, for standard bird food - aforementioned seeds - i would shop in la sirena. it's a large supermarket and they have the biggest movement of the stock, i guess. for special formula you'd better go to bravo in santiago, there is arca pet store upstairs as well and they should have what you need. there are many posters here, some may be traveling from santiago to the north coast and willing to bring you a box or two before you have a chance to go there yourself.

good luck with the birdies.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Hi 8,

No, you're spot on!! Its when the Hen (Mother) rejects her babies, that we need to hand feed them. They are too young to hull (Break Seed) so they need to be feed baby formula, it turns out to a pancake mix texture when mixed right, or a tad more loose, just depends on their age...Otherwise, yes! I feed my guys rice,, broccoli, corn, lots of different foods so its about a 70/30 split of seeds..Seeds are very fatty, can cause fatty liver, obesity birds, and they are very prone to tumors on an all seed diet, very bad for their health..If they had major flight time, then no problem with only seeds, they would burn that fat up in a few hours..But being caged birds, its not enough..I have a few flight cages for this reason as well, and allow quite a few to fly about their bird room..Exercise is very important and these birds can live 20 Years if their diet is correct and of course care etc..So again, you're 100% correct! these birds eat seeds, veggies and fruits, even sprouts!! Alfalfa Sprouts are great!!! they also fight off bacteria, parasites, and fungus, the 3 main killers of these birds...I use Sprouts often as well as Tea's such as Echinacea Tea for this too, kills the above 3 but it also give a major Immune System boost..Tea mix is 1 cup of tea to 2 cups water serve as their water..They love it!!

I forgot about the Bravo in Santiago...The metro gets there in 1 hour about 300 pesos or so round trip..I go to SD every Month to do my bird shopping, so this may be a great idea!! Just waiting to here back from another member that PMed me of having food..Not sure how far they are, but hopfully we will see soon..

Thanks for your rely 8!!

Skynet

and there i was thinking them colourful fellows eat seeds and fruits. one learns something every day...

in any case, for standard bird food - aforementioned seeds - i would shop in la sirena. it's a large supermarket and they have the biggest movement of the stock, i guess. for special formula you'd better go to bravo in santiago, there is arca pet store upstairs as well and they should have what you need. there are many posters here, some may be traveling from santiago to the north coast and willing to bring you a box or two before you have a chance to go there yourself.

good luck with the birdies.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
santiago metro to bravo is not a long distance. get onto the main street, estrella sadhala, take public car M. few blocks and you will be in front of bravo. coming back just cross the street and get into the carrito going back. short drive. someone will confirm, hopefully, those details.

arca is upstairs, you get in from inside the shop. it's a big store too.

thanks for the birdie growing lesson :) we had two budgies when i was a teenagers. i did not appreciate them much :( they were both found, actually. my mom found one when she went to get the groceries and my dad found one as it got into a garage where he was working. within days from each other :) we just gave them normal stuff like sunflower seeds and apples. but they were adults. i had no idea baby parrots require special care.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Update! The food has landed!!!! BAM!! Thanks so much to JessicaRabbit!! I'm about to give my little lucky fellas a nice taste of some great food!!! and what a difference...The baby rice food seems to go through them like water, so hungry again in just about an hour and their poops are even water..I truly believe they would be dead by tomorrow night..So again, thanks so much and to this site for bringing people together as it should be! There is too much hate in this World, just nice to be apart of some very special people helping others. I hope one day I can do the same, just ask me should you need help with something that I can do..

God Bless!!

Anthony

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is good news :) i am a huge fan of animals and i hate to see them suffer. fingers crossed they will eat up and grow up, just like they should!

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Thanks 8..I will see if I can post some pics of them tomorrow, all so very cute and of course, I'm their daddy...LOL..That can be an issue for them growing up to be birds, but I know when its time for them to be placed with the others...ABout 3 more weeks, they should be on their own, eating seeds and the other foods I give to them all...And yes, wheeeeeeeeew!!! I'm so relieved!!! Man, was going nuts there for 3 or 4 days with worry...If your not far from me and wish to have a budgie or so, let me know I will give one or more to you. PM me if you like

Anthony

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Hi 8..no luck yet for pics, figured to let you know since I said I would post a few...I'm hoping to borrow a camera this week at some point, so it should be soon...

Anthony

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
unfortunately i am unable to accept your birdie offer as i have 3 cats :) i think it would probably push them over the edge, to have a bird at home ;)

you can always take a picture with phone camera - if you have a smartphone.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Hey 8,

okay no problem, let me know if anything changes, I have quite a few birds...as for my phone, nope, its a dumb phone with a dumber service but a smart user..Ha Ha,,\

Sky

unfortunately i am unable to accept your birdie offer as i have 3 cats :) i think it would probably push them over the edge, to have a bird at home ;)

you can always take a picture with phone camera - if you have a smartphone.