Don?t drink the tap water: USAID report

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Don?t drink the tap water: USAID report

Santo Domingo.- The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) on Tuesday recommended restructuring the country?s water systems to improve quality, because in its view, what reaches households isn?t suitable for consumption.

In its report ?Critical points for the vulnerability and climate change in Dominican Republic,? the USAID reveals that since over 90% of the water supplied to households isn?t suitable, the Government should install integrated water source management plants and engage local populations.

It also recommends a review of the water delivery systems, reduce the use of agrochemicals and restructure distribution systems.

The USAID notes that 90.94% of Dominican households have no regular supply of safe drinking water and only 11 provinces have stored water supply systems.

Tainted

Commenting on the USAID report, water treatment expert Jacinto Gerda revealed that more than 80% of Dominican Republic?s aquifers are polluted by dumped waste. ?One of the major water purification problems is the high pollution of supply sources, because as the result of deficient sanitary systems, the rivers have become sewage dumps.?

Source: DT

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What surprised me about the above report is that there was some of the tap water (about 9% of what was tested) was deemed safe. Is there actually a supplier of tap water that provides water safe for drinking 100% of the time? ( I am not talking about home purification systems or clean wells, but rather a company providing water to the taps of homes and businesses). Where is that?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have worked in this area for the last 20 years and I expect that water from some of the treatment standards meets first world criteria. Nonetheless, given the lack or non existence of backflow preventors and the fact that the water supply cuts on and off there is an increased likelihood of contamination in the water lines. I agree that this report is just another waste of taxpayer money to keep someone busy.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
What I would like to know is who that USAID warning is addressed to.
I think everybody in DR, specially those born in DR, know that tap water is not safe to drink. Even in the poorest houses I've been to, they know this. I just hope they didn't spend a lot of money to reach that conclusion. Good grief.

We should let them know there are power outages, before they issue a report warning people about it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think we all know that tap water in DR is not really drinkable, unless boiled. at least. but i think a study of what exactly is in the tap water in DR may be quite interesting...
Z 101

in the story above la zeta reports that citizens of villa vasquez (close to monte christi) want INAPA to solve the problem of "heces fecales" in the aqueduct... nice.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Many people fail to realize why drilling pozos right next to septic tanks is not a good idea....

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Not confirmed!

Amado just told me that 109 people, Dominicans, have been admitted to the Gov. Hospital in POP for bad stomach problems that my be from the water supply. He says that it does NOT appear to be cholera.

Again; NOT confirmed. Most know not to drink the water, but he tells me that many do. Perhaps washing food and cooking with it?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would not drink tap water in DR unless treated. you never know what level of contaminants it has today as opposed to a week or a month ago. boil, boil, boil.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
In a related note, if you visit the United don't eat yellow snow.

Don't thank me, I'm here to help.

American Gallego

Feb 21, 2013
That is a given in any different country, DO NOT DRINK TAP WATER...

Every European Union member state has water that is safe to drink, simply by virtue of the fact that they are
strictly governed by the EU Framework Directive.

USA and Canada water is world class, as are many South and Central American countries. In Asia countries like Singapore, Taiwan, Japan and others, all of which have high quality tap water. Australia stands out above the rest.
world.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
no you can probably scratch the US from that list, i think.. we have arsenic and lots of heavy metals.. most folks have some sort of filter if they can afford it and bottled water is about the biggest seller in the super market.. i think that NYC is about the only place that would pass EU standards..

and now we are gung ho for fracking which it seems to me is about like turning our water supply into gas wells..

but what the heck.. health care is too expensive anyway.. and elders are expensive

and we can import from the third world..

so ....

we are pretty stupid group..