There is only one all full day public school in all of the DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.- President Danilo Medina on Monday headed the ceremony to inaugurate the 2013-2014 school year, and officially inaugurated the opening of the country?s first full-day public school.

Medina also cut the ribbon for the Mother Teresa High School, which has 17 classrooms built at a cost of R$54.6 million and also reopened the Montellano Elementary School?s 22 classrooms, rebuilt at a cost of RD$25.6 million.

In the keynote speech, Education minister Carlos Amarante said the Government spent RD$6.8 billion to prepare the current school year and ensure quality education.

The official added that the money went to build, refurbish, expand and maintain schools, repair and buy school furniture, supplies, teaching materials, books and uniforms for students, among other details.

Source: DT

May 12, 2005
The longest journeys begin with a single step. At least this administration seems more serious about education than it's predecessor.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
54.6 million for 17 classrooms is about 3.2 million per classroom. Seem steep to me, but Frank is right. If there's going to be corutpion let's hope it exists in school building projects at least.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.- President Danilo Medina on Monday headed the ceremony to inaugurate the 2013-2014 school year, and officially inaugurated the opening of the country?s first full-day public school.

Medina also cut the ribbon for the Mother Teresa High School, which has 17 classrooms built at a cost of R$54.6 million and also reopened the Montellano Elementary School?s 22 classrooms, rebuilt at a cost of RD$25.6 million.

In the keynote speech, Education minister Carlos Amarante said the Government spent RD$6.8 billion to prepare the current school year and ensure quality education.

The official added that the money went to build, refurbish, expand and maintain schools, repair and buy school furniture, supplies, teaching materials, books and uniforms for students, among other details.

Source: DT

Would someone enlighten me about this : the country?s first full-day public school.?
So, when does classes start and end in DR?
Thanks

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Would someone enlighten me about this : the country’s first full-day public school.?
So, when does classes start and end in DR?
Thanks

Normally there are two half-day sessions a day, children attend either mornings OR afternoons. Not both.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Normally there are two half-day sessions a day, children attend either mornings OR afternoons. Not both.

From my experience the older kids go to school in the morning and the younger kids go to school in the afternoon. Neither group have enough time to be taught properly in that system. This school in the OP is the first all day school in the entire DR.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
54 million seemed like a lot so i discussed it with my SIL who is an architect. she says it seems about right because the budget will also include the land. and there would be large bathrooms on each floor, and there would be a kitchen and dining space (desayuno escolar), and there would be bathrooms for teachers only, and there would be utility spaces and so on. still seems like s**tloads of money to me.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"dv", your SIL forgot about the "Commision" to the "Politicos".
That's about 26,000,000.
The useless parking garage, built at "UASD" university here in SD, cost at least twice what it would have cost in most USA universities.
"Danilo" should be called the "Horse Whisperer", he has at Least one, "Dog&Pony" show a weekend!
"A Long Journey" does begin with, "Just One Step"!
But here in the dr, it's "One Step Forward", followed by "Two Steps Back"!!!!!!
The "More Things Change" here, the more they, "Stay The Same"!!!!!!
"All Sizzle", but no "Steak"!
After 27 years of hearing the same old, "New Projects", over & over, I lost hope many years ago!
I used to actually try to help when I first got here.
I SOON found out THAT, is a "Fool's Errand"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Dominican children of my wife graduated high school with good grades. Even finished last year in US high school. Can barely read and never heard of bacteria or a virus. Still think you get sick from going out in the rain. The Dom school system has a ton of holidays. They would hang around the house sleeping till two. When they finally managed to get up I said, wassup?, no school? "Nope, its a holiday". Oh,yeah, what holiday? I dont know. All three still living at home, mom cleans their rooms besides running her own business. They show no signs of ever leaving home. With Dominican kids its not 18 and work, college or out. Much to my surprise. They could be living with us forever!!!!!!!!!!!! and avoiding going out in the rain!

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Dominican children of my wife graduated high school with good grades. Even finished last year in US high school. Can barely read and never heard of bacteria or a virus. Still think you get sick from going out in the rain. The Dom school system has a ton of holidays. They would hang around the house sleeping till two. When they finally managed to get up I said, wassup?, no school? "Nope, its a holiday". Oh,yeah, what holiday? I dont know. All three still living at home, mom cleans their rooms besides running her own business. They show no signs of ever leaving home. With Dominican kids its not 18 and work, college or out. Much to my surprise. They could be living with us forever!!!!!!!!!!!! and avoiding going out in the rain!

And if you ask them what's up they will tell you "La cosa ta dura". Of course things are hard. That's what happens when you don't work or do anything for yourself to improve your life. But "La cosa ta dura" becomes a law, and automatically everything in life is "too difficult" or "too unfair" to take on. Except of course, finding a way to get to NYC.
No school is going to teach you how to read if you don't want to, or feel you need to. There are tons of examples of kids graduated from the same school who read perfectly well, and go on to universities and do well too.
No school is going to educate anyone's kid for them.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I had this in another thread but here goes....
Sitting en el patio with my wifes family. Same old day, no luz, in the dark looking at stars..
My sobrina who is studying in university at POP, 2nd year, to become history/geography teacher, suddenly comes out with:
"No u are wrong, its the sun that turns around the earth!!!!!"
Of course the classes are once a week on saturdays, figures.......

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Rincon elementary school in Jarabacoa has the full time program. They just built a new high school here in Jarabacoa and when the children showed up they told them to come back because they don't have any chairs for them.
We're up to 635 kids from Pre-kinder to first year of high school. Kids can read by the time they finish grade one, and write by the time they finish grade two. Some obviously have better penmanship than others and it's usually the parent's involvement that makes a difference.

Sep 4, 2012
And if you ask them what's up they will tell you "La cosa ta dura". Of course things are hard. That's what happens when you don't work or do anything for yourself to improve your life. But "La cosa ta dura" becomes a law, and automatically everything in life is "too difficult" or "too unfair" to take on. Except of course, finding a way to get to NYC.
No school is going to teach you how to read if you don't want to, or feel you need to. There are tons of examples of kids graduated from the same school who read perfectly well, and go on to universities and do well too.
No school is going to educate anyone's kid for them.

Happens everywhere. I don't condone their view but understand the hardships some endure. Take a look at the drop out rate in our own backyard.

Fast Facts

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The greatest impediment to a widespread full day schedule is that the infrastructure doesn't exist. The average school needs to be much bigger than they currently are in order to accommodate this change, something that supposedly is in the works but takes time none the less.

Also, the reason why the system was designed like this, other than financial constraints, was due to most families living in the countryside until a couple of decades ago. The kids were needed to help in the fields and the government had to either accommodate for this when the national school system was designed or risk most parents not sending their kids to school. The country has changed but the system has lagged behind, like many other things...

One good example of the 'other things' is the size of the work force (and this affects unemployment/income/etc figures.) What is the minimum age to consider someone of working age?

You say 18? Think again!

16? Nope!

13? Ha ha ha

If you guess 10, you hit the jackpot.

Why? A farming society that doesn't exist anymore, but the government hasn't catch up... yet!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am not sorry for those campo kids. my mother grew up on a farm and her first job was to "shepherd" geese, ducks and whatnot. she was maybe 4 years old? by 10 she was working few hours a day, every day: feeding animals, milking cows, making bread. this is not unusual. kids work for free and they learn at the same time, so when parents die the kids know how to churn butter, make sausages, sew clothing and do other useful stuff. when i was a child i cleaned the house, helped my mom cook and when vacationing in the campo i helped with the harvest. great stuff. life was about living and teaching your kids to do stuff around themselves. not about bringing up useless lumps of meat that are kids of today...

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
the ONLY full day school in the DR? so... the full day public program in Cabrera's elementary school doesn't exist? or the schools in Santiago Rodriguez also don't? Or, how about IPISA - the politecnico in Santiago that has been a full-day program for about 7 years now?

not the ONLY people, the first brand-new building, inaugurated as a full-day program.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
"There is only one all full day public school in all of the DR"

Seriously? What about the Maria Mercedes Zuain politecnico in Gurabo, some of my cousins went there, and ever since it was built in 2003, its class hours have been from 7:00 AM till 3:00 PM, doesn't that count as a full day? ohh And what about the Politecnico femenino in Estrella Sadhala right next to el Gran Almirante, same class hours as the one above. Furthermore, if I'm not mistaken all politecnicos in Santiago have the 7-3 class hours, aren't politecnicos public schools? last I checked they were.

I guess most news sites, and even newspapers do zero investigation of their own, everything is a copy and paste, but they always have people like many of the posters in DR1 who believe everything they publish.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what is this full day they talk about? in polish education system the classes start at 8am and last until 2-3pm. this is a full day and it's more than plenty of time to learn. school is not like damn work with 10 hours of nonstop blood, sweat and tears. 4 hours a day is not enough but 6 is just perfect.