Dengue Fever Alert

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Myself and a couple of others here on DR1 can tell you that this is no fun and very dangerous. I had dengue this last Feb. and I think that the others here on DR1 had it around that same time also. At times I thought that I was going to die and at times I wanted to, the muscle cramps were that bad.

My wife and I think that I was infected during one of our many visits to S.D. since no one knew of other reported cases in our area here in the Sosua area.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We live in Santo Domingo.
One daughter has had "Dengue" twice, one once, and my stepson had "Haemoragic Dengue" once.
He nearly died as his platelets went down to 20,000.
Remove ALL standing water in, and around, your house, mosquitoes can breed in a bottle cap full of water.
Use repellent, long sleeves, and pants, stay indoors at dusk and dawn.
Window screens, if you can.
They all help, but are not perfect.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If it's really bad, you can try "Mosquito Netting" and a strong fan.
Spray your bedroom with "Bug Spray" when you can leave it totally closed for several hours before you need to be inside.
I spray in the am, then leave my room closed all day.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Many millions have been spent on government media campaigns to instruct people about the simple steps they need to take at home to keep Dengue at bay. They might as well have burned all that money. People won't listen or think they "know better". But ask the same people about the latest blackberry model and they will tell you all about it.

I've had the opportunity to witness how the local authorities can predict when, where and for how long a Dengue outbreak is going to occur. But if people refuse to do their part, there's nothing they can do, besides the usual fumigation that is never enough.

Dominicans being dominicans, I guess.

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
Remember to spray under the bed, they like to hide there during the day. Closets are another favorite place. Keep the closet doors shut.