Moving to DR late 2014

sabor15

Aug 26, 2013
Hello everyone,

My wife and I will be retiring late 2014. How comfortably can we live in the DR with a retirement income of $7,600 montly? We are thinking on long-term rental at Juan Dolio real estate.

Thanks,

Fredy

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Dollars, right?

Pesos, you'll be squeaking LOUDLY.....

$$$$ and you'll be buying us all dinner ----- regularly !!!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Welcome to DR1! Are you seriously asking how comfortable you and your spouse
can live on a retirement income of $7,600(dollars) in a third world country?:rolleyes:

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I think the best plan is to let me control the money and I will make sure you have everything you need or want. Any money left over and I will live like a king as well.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
Hello everyone,

My wife and I will be retiring late 2014. How comfortably can we live in the DR with a retirement income of $7,600 montly? We are thinking on long-term rental at Juan Dolio real estate.

Thanks,

Fredy

Is this a sock puppet

This cannot possible be a serious post.
How can anyone believe they cannot make it here with over 300.000pesos monthly... When a worker has something like 10.000- if he is lucky.

I do believe you know the answer to your question, and you try to brag over your wealth. ;) Anyway, i like to hear you have a alot of money. Always makes me happy to hear when someone has made it in this hard world.

Welcome to The TwillightZone.

sabor15

Aug 26, 2013
All, my intent was not to brag about wealth but rather ask this blog community on what it would take to live in a foreign country. You missed the point of the question, athough I know my budget I really don't know what it would cost to live in the D.R. confortably. My so called wealth is based on a 30 year military career, not exactly a millionare lifestyle but based on hard work andyears of sacrificing for my country. So please ,don't insult my sincere questions and motives.

BTW, thank you for letting me know the conversion rates!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
sabor15, come on down and check it out. The only way to know if you will like it here is to try it. At least in your case, the money per month is no object.

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
God Bless America!!! Your service is appreciated and congrats on reaching the modern American Dream.

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
I second the opinions of exploring - modestly - the options by renting in different locales -North, South, East and West. Find what you like - most certainly before you plunk down money to buy any thing. I will save the sarcasm - however as a gauge, a 2 bedroom penthouse apartment, bi level was available in Puerto Plata for less than 1000 a month. Essential food is inexpensive. The things many North Americans are accustomed to are not so much. Candy bars, certain brands of cereals, cookies, etc are pricey. Utilities are stupid expensive. Gird your loins for the first electric bill. Best of luck.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Sabor15 come here and rent first..check out some areas. Cut your budget in half and then put the rest away for a nest egg/rainy day fund if you decide to live here. On your budget you can live well on half more or less. Again come here rent, look around and see what areas suite you. You have city living, beach living and country living, all well within your budget. While retirement is great, it is always good when living here to have that "emergency fund". Once here you will be able to see and feel what lifestyle you will need to finance. Good luck.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Hello everyone,

Thanks,

Fredy

Fredy,

Is that amount after US taxes have been paid? Thank you for your service, were you a General? What are your hobbies? How did you decide on Juan Dolio? Best advice, rent for a while; travel the country a bit; dont flaunt your relative wealth; be careful of who you befriend including expats; watch your elevation as there will eventually be a hurricane that will blast the south coast!

If you have good health and do not gamble you will live as a king, servants and all. Your electric bill will cost more than your servants. Watch your electric meter as you would your cash, people will steal your power in creative ways.

Last edited:

Kantana

Mar 25, 2012
Hello everyone,

Thanks,

Fredy

My advice?........Please do not move to the D.R, at least not for now. Reasons?.........
1) High crime: Gringos are being brutally murdered in this country. There is at least one case every month!! ( Please visit dominicanwatchdog.org and read extensively before you make any final decision). These murders of foreigners is happening all over the island. Between june and now, I am aware of three cases, the latest being a few weeks ago; a German retiree who was murdered in his apartment and his body chopped and stored in a barrel for weeks! There was the Italian man killed and dumped at the back of his SUV in Gasper Hernandez. Then the Swiss woman who was also murdered in her apartment in Cabrera in July I think.
Most times, these murders are not solved as the authorities really do not care.

2) Armed Robberies: No matter where you live on the island, home invasions are common and some of these could be fatal. Every foreigner is a target for a robbery attack, especially if you have a white skin! The reason being that you are percieved as rich and the locals cannot wait to get their hands on some of that $$$$$$$.

3) Break down of law and order: The police is very corrupt, and account for a large part of the crime that takes place. They cannot be trusted. If you have an issue that requires you to call the police, a visit to your home by the police may be a precursor to being attached and robbed in your home.
People who commit heinous crimes, easily buy their way out if they have money.

4) Chaos: Driving in any of the cities is a nightmare. All traffic laws are ignored, driving while consuming alcohol is common. If a local runs into you and damages your car, it will be adjudged as your fault and you will have to pay the local and the police.

I could go on but ponder over these while you decide. The D.R. is great to visit as a tourist while staying in an all inclusive resort. Living there is a different ball game.

Have you looked into other countries like Panama, Costa Rica, The Bahamas?

Ktn..........:chinese::chinese: