Moving Out of D.R

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
While crime can happen to the most innocent of people, I still believe a good portion of the crime is due to the "social circles" you keep. However like everywhere else crime is on a upswing.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
"Dominican Watchdog" website

Am i the only one seriously thinking of moving out of the island given the latest crime wave?

A foreigner easily gets killed, chopped, trashed in a barrel to decompose for a month -- and like that's not enough graphic pics are quickly taken and played on local media.

WARNING! Too many tourists & foreign investors are killed in Dominican Republic - Body Count: 30, Who is next? Canadian civil war world blogger calls DR the world's most dangerous country! :: Dominican Watchdog

I always wondered who owns and runs the infamous "Dominican Watchdog" website. Anonymous?

No doubt, the DR can be a risky travel destination but nothing like Mexico, Venezuela, Argentina, etc.

Am i the only one seriously thinking of moving out of the island given the latest crime wave?

Good Question. I have my whole life here, so for me it would be very difficult to relocate.
For a singel person without any ties to this country it is just to leave. For the rest of us, well- we are stuck here!

Just because we couldnt keep our dick in our pants. :cheeky:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I always wondered who owns and runs the infamous "Dominican Watchdog" website. Anonymous?

No doubt, the DR can be a risky travel destination but nothing like Mexico, Venezuela, Argentina, etc.
I had posted this Nuria report a few months ago here on DR1. I think a new post fits well here. The report itself I think is a couple of years old.

[video=youtube;0tlPdeC-F9w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tlPdeC-F9w[/video]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
crime is not much of an issue for me. but this place is a boring dump.

and putting the anti-violence clip at the end of the video, after all the talking about how nice DR really is... so amazingly, incredibly dumb.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

A foreigner easily gets killed, chopped, trashed in a barrel to decompose for a month -- and like that's not enough graphic pics are quickly taken and played on local media.

WARNING! Too many tourists & foreign investors are killed in Dominican Republic - Body Count: 30, Who is next? Canadian civil war world blogger calls DR the world's most dangerous country! :: Dominican Watchdog
No, you're not the only one. I might be gone before the end of the year (or stay the rest of my life).

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
While crime can happen to the most innocent of people, I still believe a good portion of the crime is due to the "social circles" you keep. However like everywhere else crime is on a upswing.

of course, many crimes are due to social circles, behaviour... But, one must be honest and consider the facts...
Crimes, robberies, violence have increased quite amazingly recently. Why? I dont know...
But something must be done and its urgent

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Sameasinthe rest of the world. In geneva 20 years ago u could leave ure car with keys on contact at petrol station. Now if u dont bolt ure tables and chaises down on restaurant terrasse, they disappear ( and I m noteven going to talk about muggins, robberys, home invasion......) There is too many humans, thats the real problem.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
We've seen that trash paper before.

I hope you are not moving to Chicago.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013

Wow! It looks like it is really bad! What is the government doing about it, to avoid the COLLAPSE OF THE ECONOMY? Nothing!
I frankly think these kind of crimes deserve the DEATH PENALTY! These are very VIOLENT CRIMES. If DR does not take that seriously, their economy willl evaporate in a SECOND!

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, I feel that the along with the crime issue the total lack of an effective 911 response system & no follow up leads to a feeling of hopelessness.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
People, People, People...come on. get your heads on straight. The DR is not bad. Boring? Yes! Violent? No.

This is an island with 11 millions people just on the DR side!! For an island with 11 million people, but more then 20 million if you include Haiti, this is not bad at all. In fact, for me, i find it incredibly safe. Let me explain.

I travel around the island on a motorcycle. I go everywhere. there is not a corner or town, or village that i will not travel through at night, in the afternoon, during presidential elections. I go to brothels, i go to gambling houses, i go to remote beaches. i go up in the mountains, Everything that is expensive, i carry on me. he only thing i leave behind is my motorcycle...locked.

The only thing to fear is fear itself. I walk the Colonial ZOne at night. I can't do it during the daytime because its hotter then hell. I walk everywhere. I don't have a gun. don't want one!

Yes, the DR can be boring as hell sometimes, but that's why you need a good hobby or two. Start kite sutfing, motorcyling, gambling, surfing, paddle boarding, help a charity, sponsor some school children, write a book of your experiences etc. there is a million things you can do to kill the boredom. If none of those work, do what i do, leave the island for 4 months each year, and then return refreshed. you'll love it, and you'll have a whole new perspective of everything. I know. I've been doing it for over 30 years now.

But, please, do not think if you go to panama or columbia or thailand or wherever, that you are going to find paradise. paradise does not exist, and every place is what you make of it. Boredom will follow you everywhere you go unless you got some good hobbies in life. Venereal diseases will follow you everywhere unless you get some new friends. Life is what you make of it. So don't lye down with dogs, and you won't wake up with fleas!

Now get out there and buy a motorcycle and start exploring the island...it's big, its huge, its wonderful, it's beautiful, and the people are more than kind for the amount of deep seated poverty and sh!t of a government that they have. You're as close to paradise that you're going to find on an island with 20 million people (11 million on the DR side).

Love Frank

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think the statistics drastically changes if one throws out the incidences of murder involving former lovers for hire.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think the statistics drastically changes if one throws out the incidences of murder involving former lovers for hire.

Agreed. Ken took some heat yesterday, but I kind of agree with him. There will always be random acts of violence, anywhere in the world, but you can cut down dramatically on the odds. The horror of the dismembered German has been attributed to not paying someone what he owed. DR is not Disneyland, you do have to be careful of everything you do.

Do I worry about violence in DR? Of course I do.

Maybe I'm naive, but I think we're pretty safe there. We live in the campo, not a lot of crime there, mostly petty stuff. We're good to the people who work for us, and pay what we owe, plus extras. We share with our neighbors, and go out of the way to 'fit in'. We play down what we have, never flaunt anything, live simply. Of course, our 'simply' is more than most of our neighbors, some of who are very poor. Sometimes I have to remind Mr. AE to control his Dominican temper when he gets frustrated. :cheeky:

I think because one of us is Dominican, and has known the neighbors since he was a boy, we're not looked at as 'foreign' as a total outsider would be.

Our children would love for us to sell our house and never go back, they worry when we're there. I think we're reaching the stage in our lives when the children think they are the parents, and the roles reverse. Mr. AE and I will go kicking and screaming over that, haha.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
boring dump? without $$$ any place is a dump.

what can i say, i am guilty of not being rich enough. i said before that money would solve 99% of all my problems. if i had more money i could be traveling more. ideal situation would be at least one week every month spent abroad. but then if i had that much money i would not live here at all.