Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how stable is the electricity in punta cana/bavaro?

how stable is the electricity in punta cana/bavaro?

are there areas where it is true 24/7 electricity? or is it like the rest of the island?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Living in Pueblo Bavaro. Last 2 years maybe 3 times power gone. 2 times for scheduled maintenance, less than 4 hours each. 1 time maybe 2 hours... so, yes true 24/7.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

i'm fascinated to hear this.. thanks for the info..

do you even have an inverter?

also, how's the internet? is it fast/reliable?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

My electricity in PC/Verón/Bávaro is as reliable as it is in Pennsylvania. No inverters required.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

No, don't have an inverter. No need for it.

Internet, I use 2 services. Tricom (for emergency / the rare case Claro has a problem) with 3 MB down / 1 MB up and Claro with 8 MB down / 1 MB up. I work online and Internet too is reliable.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Prepare in advance.

The electricity in the Punta Cana tourist zone is 24/7 with little interruption. However, this does not excuse one from taking measures to have a backup source of power should there be an extended interruption caused by a major equipment fault or natural disaster. Got to say when Hurricane Jeanne passed over the area in Sept 16, 2004 PJT lost public power from about 4:00 am to 8:00 pm. Yet, he had a generator that was put to used during the outage. The question you have to ask yourself is can you or want to get by without power for a short period or should prepare to have backup power source for an extended period. It's not like you can take a trip to Home Depot or Lowes should things go awry, you have to prepare in advance as it will be your only opportunity.

Regards,

PJT

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

also, while the power is mostly 24/7... it is "dirty" power. power surges and spikes... YOU NEED SURGE PROTECTORS. And conversely, many time it runs "under voltage", so things that need 240 volts may not operate at full power. Our condo complex had a big problem with this as the water pumps were damaged by this issue. But... when you flip the switch, the lights do go on.

Post Thanks / Like

In the five+ years we've lived here it has never gone off for more than a few minutes. No real need for backup although the hotels have generators. Here in PC Village it goes off for a couple of minutes now and then, which is mildly inconvenient and can't be good for the electric equipment.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you all for the incredibly thorough and helpful info!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in Punta Cana, and have electricity 24/7. Only lose power once every few months (usually when there is bad weather) and usually only for a few minutes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast