Relocating to the DR within 3 weeks need advice Please

Agenteflush

Aug 27, 2013
Hello everyone,

I have decided to become an Expat and relocate to the DR from the USA. There are a few reasons why I chose the DR. I know the best advise is from all of you who are already there . I was hoping to get an insight on which areas and or cities are safer ? Electricity 24/7 and good high speed internet. Monthly rental budget is $500-$1000 for a nice modern furnish house or apt.Will start with a two to three month lease. I will be relocating with my two small house trained dogs.
I would prefer some modern facilities close by and a good movie theater on those boring days lol. Any suggestions are deeply appreciated.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
try for two out of three

modern facilies? as in malls and medical? only really Santo Domingo and Santiago

movies in the daytime? earliest at 4 PM only SD and maybe SD.. maybe a couple of other cities

electricity 24/7 Las Terrenas

Rent to 1000... ok about any where

3 month lease? on the beaches

dogs.. again ok in LT do not know about other places.

so I guess I would suggest Las Terrenas.. which has a library.. but no real "faciilites"

but the cities are really big cities.

surely you have done SOME research, right?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The movie theater requirement does tie you to Santiago or Santo Domingo. Remove that and your options are much wider.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
At your decent rental budget there are alot of month to month furnished high quality 1 bedroom options here on North coast from p.plata to cabarete. I lived in Santiago for 6 mos and it was very nice but you have to make longer term committments there for rental, furniture, cable tv, internet contracts ..which may not be a good idea for a first timer here.

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
Hello everyone,

I have decided to become an Expat and relocate to the DR from the USA. There are a few reasons why I chose the DR. I know the best advise is from all of you who are already there . I was hoping to get an insight on which areas and or cities are safer ? Electricity 24/7 and good high speed internet. Monthly rental budget is $500-$1000 for a nice modern furnish house or apt.Will start with a two to three month lease. I will be relocating with my two small house trained dogs.
I would prefer some modern facilities close by and a good movie theater on those boring days lol. Any suggestions are deeply appreciated.
You are moving here in 3 weeks?????? Cutting it a bit fine to start asking questions about where to live etc etc.
Would be interested to hear your (few)reasons for choosing the D.R.

Sep 4, 2012
- Get used to the apagones.

- Bring insects repellents (you'll get used to be w/o soon)

- Get to know how the inversor works.

- Know the difference between a tigre and a chopo.

- The vivos will take advantage of you, one way or another until you realize it and then and only then they'll step away.

- Be realistic and do live the DR as if you are in the DR.

- The rest gets easier from there.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Relocating in 3 weeks, why the rush? I'd advise you to slow down a bit and do alot of research
prior to moving. Is there a reason why you need to be there in such a hurry without being pre
pared? Only asking because you sound like you are out of breath.:) Excited?

bilko

Aug 5, 2011
- Get used to the apagones.

- Bring insects repellents (you'll get used to be w/o soon)

- Get to know how the inversor works.

- Know the difference between a tigre and a chopo.

- The vivos will take advantage of you, one way or another until you realize it and then and only then they'll step away.

- Be realistic and do live the DR as if you are in the DR.

- The rest gets easier from there.

What is the difference between a tigre and a chopo?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Your movie experience may not be to your liking in the DR.

[video=youtube;PUqLWTQCeHM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUqLWTQCeHM[/video]

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
No Puerto Plata!!! They have no stores here and are high priced! They only have 3 super markets, all pricey and most of their foods like Broccoli, Celery, I guess raw veggies in general are not so good...There is no McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, Taco Bell, Movies, etc...I've been here for 5 Months and its been pure hell for me for many reasons..However, I've been in the DR now for 7 Years..You may want to hit Santo Domingo first, I plan to move back there as soon as money allows me to do so being I'm on a fixed income..But, I never been to Sosua, or Cabetre yet which I will check out 100% before I fully make my decision to move back to SD..

That said, apartment wise? you should be able to get a 2 or 3 BR with 2 Bath and maid room( really another bedroom & bath) for about 350 bucks..I have a 2/2 with balcony, laundry area that fits 2 full machines with sink, very nice! I pay here 10,500 pesos or 245 bucks, at 43% of the dollar now..As for electric? you should just get an inverter, its battery back up...a simple 2 battery system will last up to 5 hours with some common light, TV and computer..Thats what I always run, so I get 5 hours if we lose the electric for that long..Here in Puerto Plata its usually 3 hours..SD is always 5 hours..Cost? it will depend on the make of the inverter...I paid 28,000 pesos for a Trico with 2 batteries, very good system!! There are cheaper ones, but you get what you pay for, so do some research about them here on this site. Be very sure you have your passport up to date, but there is an Embassy in SD and here in PP, runs about 140 bucks to renew..You can also get some good info from their sites, just Google US Embassy in the Dominican Republic, there are a few..

If you're really coming in 3 weeks, shoot me a PM! We can exchange info, perhaps I can help you along the way etc or just be friends...

Best of luck!

Anthony

K

kavakid

Bavaro or Santo Domingo. You can find furnished places with short term leases. And you can almost pretend you are in the US (psychological factor) if you have never lived abroad. North Coast is a good choice too (Cabarete or Sosua). If you need all options then Santo Domingo is it. Corotos.com search for colonial zone (apartamentos). You will find furnished units for $500 or rooms for $250. Also airbnb.com.