Questions on first trip to Dominican

Biker John

Jul 25, 2013
So second try at this. I have my first trip to the Dominican scheduled for the first week of December. We are staying at a all inclusive catalonia bavario beach. I am a adventurous person and would like to take a trip one day outside the resort maybe somewhere off the normal beaten paths. I love trying local foods and enjoy the shack restruant experience. I am just looking for some ideas. Thanks John

polancomariel

Aug 20, 2013
www.insatiable.wordpress.com
I recommend goint o Saona if you like to get on a Catamaran and wnjoy the beach in La Romana(about 2 hrs from Bavaro), there are plenty of tours thta hve day trips.

If you are very adventurous Cabarete is also very nice. There you can surf, windsurf and all that stuff.

los 27 charcos, is also a very adventurous and you can get all that info from the hotel concierge probably.

I really hope you get out of the resort once you get there and don?t let your experience in the DR be the pool,beach and all inclusive drinking.

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
If you want to see the real DR, you have to leave the resort. The resort is just a place to milk tourists and people of money and to feel like you are not in the DR. Leave the resort and visit a colmado, visit a non tourist beach, see the pretty mountains and countryside, make friends with locals and eat home cooked meals like fried plantains and drink presidentes and listen to Bachata with them. It will be priceless.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I'm not sure exactly where the Catalonia is, but here are a couple of ideas:

1. (easy, close and fast), Hop on a concho, or get a taxi (depending on distance), and just go to the Texico intersection in Friusa. Is it the "real" D.R.??? I dunno... to paraphrase Forrest Gump, "real" is as "real" does. But, plenty of stuff around to see what real life is like as opposed to the resort. Places to eat, but not really the shack experience; bars, "real" people going about their "real" life. At least as so far as Bavaro is "real".

2. (longer, more of a time investment) Rent a car, or get a taxi (could be $$$), and get over to Higuey. Definitely "real", and more of an "immersion" experience.

Hope your Spanish is functional. Have a good time.

btw... neither one is "off the beaten path", but I'm not sure off the path is advisable or what you really want.

Last edited:

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
"If you want to see the real DR, you have to leave the resort. The resort is just a place to milk tourists and people of money and to feel like you are not in the DR. Leave the resort and visit a colmado, visit a non tourist beach, see the pretty mountains and countryside, make friends with locals and eat home cooked meals like fried plantains and drink presidentes and listen to Bachata with them. It will be priceless."

Exactly what I did don't forget Sancocho. mmm presidentes :D

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Your hotel is centrally located on the Punta Cana beach stretch of around 50 kms.

Rent a car for two days of adventure. On day one take the Boulevard Turistico and head south to Puntacana territory. Book a tour of the Ojos de Agua water springs, then have lunch at La Yola Restaurant.

The next day, head north to Macao beach, also taking the Boulevard Turistico. It is a surfers beach but swimmable. It is a different experience than your beach at Cabeza de Toro.

On both ways you will see lots of business where to stop. Leave early in the morning to be back in time for dinner and do not drive at dark because the ways are not illuminated.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Why on earth do folks insist on calling it the "Dominican"?

Funny, I met this beautiful gal in PR. She has become a member on DR1.

I explained this to her. She is from the "Dominican". The real Dominican. lol

Maybe she will chime in. :)