Ford Vehicles & Viamar Company Santo Domingo

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
Some perhaps may recall other postings about the standard of service provided by Grupo Viamar in terms of their vehicle sales, servicing and maintenance warranty works. Last year my 2010 Explorer battery was heating and I called the garage, told to bring the vehicle in to the workshop wherein after 3 hrs from booking in, no one looked at the vehicle, the battery exploded showering the engine compartment with acid.

I asked the service girl to have a service guy disconnect the battery and wash down the corrosive acid now eating it's way merrily into the paint work and the plastic components of the engine. I was told no water was available, so I interrupted the person watered the flowers, took the hose myself and washed down the vehicle.

Following on from their there was an intense "debate" to the replacement of the battery and who was responsible for the cost of same. In the end they replaced the unit FOC but continued to argue regarding the other damage, some 4 months later, wherein they conceded with an offer to supply the paint for the underside of the bonnet if I bought the required spares needed for the engine ruined by the acid. I held out, contacted Ford Caribbean for assistance and eventually all was well until.......

I noticed some early problems akin a bad battery last week, I called for an appointment and was told to bring the jeep in at 11.30 Thursday. I duly arrived 11.15, booked the car in and was told to expect a call that afternoon. They did call around 5.50, confirming that they were still " investigating" the battery, but they were 100% sure it was a battery problem.

At 11.00 Friday I called to receive confirmation that a new battery was required and a quotation for 16,600for other " suggested works". I declined the other works stipulating the replacement of the battery was my primary concern. The service agent confirmed I would have to pay for a new battery, upon which I informed to the effect, that I will be collecting the car, at 2.30 that afternoon, repaired or otherwise, but if replacement battery was not installed, leave the original in place, but provide me a card showing the name and job title of the person deciding the warranty was not being complied too. ( Battery warranty 3 yrs free replacement).

As I arrived, I was told by the service rep " your replacement has been approved"....there was a surprise for me, so I said OK thanks, how long till it is ready, 25 minutes was confirmed. At 3pm I had had enough and seeing my keys on the assesors desk, took them, walked to my car, and when turning on the ignition I noted the time was 1.45, the battery had been reconnected almost 2 hrs before, yet they had me sitting or standing around like a fool. When I attempted to drive out, the service agent screaming " security, security", so I stopped the car, asked the agent to confirm to security that the car was mine, and as importantly, I had no account to settle re the cost of the replacement. I asked the security man politely ( he was not party to any of this), to step aside and drove off.

For me the moral in dealing with Grupo Viamar ( who are all excited and happy when folks turn up with a managers check for 39,000 dollars), but reluctant when dealing with further issues on their marque sold is simple :

If you have a warranty issue, ring fence that issue from other repairs or suggested work, keep them separate.
If you get the response as I always do, this isn't covered by warranty, say OK, give me the card of the person who has made this decision,informing them that you will have the repairs done at a location of your choice, possibly even Viamar, but you WILL forward the invoice and the name / office of the person refusing the repair to Ford Motor Company Caribbean, or escalate if necessary to Ford LATAM, the customer service e-mails are in your owners booklet.

In each situation where I have had a problem and always told, you need to pay up for the repair, asking for a meeting and or the business card of the person has somehow magically changed the decision! It appears that the junior staff have been instructed to tell customers that the repairs are not covered to prevent them having to go through the approval and reclaim procedures. :bored:

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Unfortunately, it's not only a Viamar issue, as it has been my experience with three other authorized dealers in DR as well. Delta, Avelino Abreu and Autogermanica they all have the same attitude. And not only that. They won't honor factory recalls, they won't respect the customer's time, and they charge you as if they're treating you like a king. Even worse, in the last two of those, I discovered they were selling some aftermarket parts instead of the originals (but not at aftermarket prices, of course).
I had to conclude that in DR, you're better off getting used cars, as factory warranties are effectively worthless.