Auto Repair Rip Off

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Two and a half months ago when I was completing my residency in Santo Domingo, a tire on out Montero was going flat, so we pulled into a large, multi-bay gomero on the north side of the street one blocks east of Calle Heroes de Luperon on Independencia. CHdL is one cross street at Immigration on the malecon.

While they were working on the tire, a guy pointed out the muffler was hanging way down...and it was. He said he could get it back in the correct position and fix the weld for RD$250. Made sense, so we rolled it onto an oil change bay and he went to work with torch and welder. 10 minutes later we drove out and the muffler was in the correct position.

Fast forward to Sunday.

Our trusted mechanic came and got the Montero for some general maintenance and minor repairs. I just got a call from him.

Seems the catalytic converter was removed and a piece of pipe put in place. The rat bastards in Santo Domingo took it off! Seems it has a market value of RD$6000!

I done been ripped off. I'm pretty machine saavy, and they got me good.

And not one damn thing I can do about it.

Ahhh, life in Paradise. :cheeky:

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Sorry that happened to you, CB.
But you should know better to leave an unknown mechanic unattended while working on your car. Catalytic converters do fail and could be the source of horrible sounds. However, the absense of it should set off some engine and emission alarms on a Montero (unless it is about 20 years or older). If it didn't, then maybe the truck didn't have it to begin with or had been removed before. I understand catalytic converters do a few things, but basically they are for emissions control, which in DR is of course, is non existent. A new converter for a Montero should cost more than that, BTW.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Sorry that happened to you, CB.
But you should know better to leave an unknown mechanic unattended while working on your car. Catalytic converters do fail and could be the source of horrible sounds. However, the absense of it should set off some engine and emission alarms on a Montero (unless it is about 20 years or older). If it didn't, then maybe the truck didn't have it to begin with or had been removed before. I understand catalytic converters do a few things, but basically they are for emissions control, which in DR is of course, is non existent. A new converter for a Montero should cost more than that, BTW.
It was there before. I saw it.

The problem wasn't the cat. The problem was the muffler attachement point to the chassis broke. They fixed that...and helped themselves to the cat at the same time.

I do hafta admit it seemed like it took a long time to fix. We sat on a bench no more than 15' away while it was happening.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I posted about it here at the time. Mr C took the Isuzu pickup for its annual service and didn't realise until some time later that they'd helped themselves to the spare tyre.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
That's one thing about having anything repaired in the DR. You have to watch them carefully
and under no circumstances leave your car in their possession, or they will replace parts.

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
We all paid apprentices's premium.

- Whenever possible, buy all spare parts yourself, including all lubricantes, filters etc.
Best quality is genuine from manufacturer (Toyota etc.), 2nd "japonese".

- Mecanics may show you empty packaging and empty oil bottles from an expensive brand, but this does not prove nothing.

- Oil filters: mark the old one. Old trick is to just clean the old one so it looks like new.

- Never pass the receipts of the spare parts to the mecanics (do not leave them in the bag). They may get a refund or trade the parts for something else (happend to me for 6 cans of transmission fluid, they used the old oil and traded in the new bottles with the origninal receipt in Gaspar Hernandez).

- If you pick up your car, open the hood and see if your batteries are still there and have not been replaced.

- Best stay with your car all time whenever possible.

Alexander

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Another example of why I am so happy that i can live here car free... relatively inexpensive taxis and good express buses...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
truthfully CB, you could care less about whether you have a Cat Conv.... the car could care less.... just that you got tricked.

no harm done really, they helped themselves to your 'inventory'.... a ****off is what it is.

Like getting shorted at the pump, gringo priced at the parador.... all in a day's activity.

As I always say, you'll get Dominicaned once a day... if you get away for one day - it'll double up later..

Life in the slow lane .........

I deliberately removed my CAT from a Jaguar several years back....... better performance

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
truthfully CB, you could care less about whether you have a Cat Conv.... the car could care less.... just that you got tricked.
Exactly.

I'm not gonna replace it. I'm just pi$$ed it happened.

Our V-Stroms don't have CC's and have 2 hp more.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
RD ingenuity at it's finest - you PAID the guy 250 pesos to steal your CAT...

Now, the broken bracket is fixed - 'member that!!

Never underestimate RD intelligence........

Which one of you got their money's worth ????

Can we start a poll???

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am going to remove and sell mine...... the CEL light comes on the time telling the CAT doesn't like the RD gas

I'll go from pauper to prince on the sale proceeds.......

May 5, 2007
Fast forward to Sunday.

Our trusted mechanic came and got the Montero for some general maintenance and minor repairs. I just got a call from him.

Seems the catalytic converter was removed and a piece of pipe put in place. The rat bastards in Santo Domingo took it off! Seems it has a market value of RD$6000!

I done been ripped off. I'm pretty machine saavy, and they got me good.

And not one damn thing I can do about it.

Ahhh, life in Paradise. :cheeky:

Sorry to laugh at your expense, but that is pretty funny

I just hope you aren't scheduled for any surgical procedures where you are put under :surprised

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, mister cobraboy, my frien, we fixed your hernia. and you really don't need two kidneys. no problemo, yes?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I might have ripped off like that once. I had the same converter removed while it was 'tapado'. I asked my trusted mechanic and he confirmed its often removed from the montero. A new one is 4000 pesos though.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
there was a rash of that same rip off / scam here in the states a few years back. they sell the converters to places that reclaim the precious metals . these things always seem to spike when economy is at a low cycle.

Sep 4, 2012
I once have mine taken off my own driveway in the USA. Noise was horrible the morning after. Those things can be very expensive, at the least not mandatory in the DR.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
According to Mr Matilda is a major issue in the Capital - the taking off and selling of Cats. Reason is they use them to make bullets - the gunpowder that goes in them.

Matilda

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, For those who live in the Santiago/Cibao area I have had excellent experiences with NEVESA located on the Autopista across from the new la Sirena. The head mechanic Frank speaks perfect English, explains all planned repairs with options in detail, and this last time came in way under the estimate. Not since the good old days with the Hun have I felt as confident about getting my car fixed.