Roof cost? Chip!!!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
What is an average cost to do a simple flat concrete roof for a house measuring 400 sq. meters.

materials and labor?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The cost will vary by location. The average quoted price per meter in Santiago may differ from that of Punta Cana. Give the readers a hint of where the construction is and you will acquire a more informed answer.

Regards,

PJT

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
The cost will vary by location. The average quoted price per meter in Santiago may differ from that of Punta Cana. Give the readers a hint of where the construction is and you will acquire a more informed answer.

Regards,

PJT

Santo Domingo Este

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Prices will vary depending on locations.

I generally price the material and labor separately but I do have a spreadsheet from an engineer friend from last year that has it calculated together. Flat concrete floor/roof runs RD9000 and RD19,000 per M3 for the beams.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I generally price the material and labor separately but I do have a spreadsheet from an engineer friend from last year that has it calculated together. Flat concrete floor/roof runs RD9000 and RD19,000 per M3 for the beams.

M3 = cubic meter?

Any chance of getting a copy of the spreadsheet?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Prices will vary depending on locations.

S a 420 sq. meter flat concrete roof would be?

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
something dosent sound right here. 420 square meter roof at 8 inchs thick comes to 84 cubic meters. so the roof is about 65 feet by 65 feet

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There are different prices for beams and floors so one should not put them together to calculate cost, that is if the goal is to accurately estimate the cost. :)

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
There are different prices for beams and floors so one should not put them together to calculate cost, that is if the goal is to accurately estimate the cost. :)

either way it is still a very large roof. OP says 400 square meter house. Is that on 1 floor or two. Seems like a big roof. But then I am not one to have a house that big. I am of the poor expat type.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
the roof is 420 sq. meters, flat slab simple for the second floor of simple house. Columns poles etc. done so not needed in quote.
The quote I am getting is 180k dop for materials and 130k dop for labor. So far based on what I can see its a good deal, no?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
the roof is 420 sq. meters, flat slab simple for the second floor of simple house. Columns poles etc. done so not needed in quote.
The quote I am getting is 180k dop for materials and 130k dop for labor. So far based on what I can see its a good deal, no?

Generally the floor is poured with the beams; please post a picture of what you have now showing the roof support beams so I make sure I give you the best advice

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009

Based on my house of almost exact sq ft, grab a pen and paper and sign him upright away, before he reads more responses to this post. Assuming as you say, columns and beams ( inc perimeter beam - vega), your still getting a great deal. 420M2 x 200mm thick + say 7% waste = 90m3 concrete. For example, if you bought ready mix concrete you would be looking around DOP$ 510,000 for the concrete alone, then add on the cost of rebar, fixing and concrete placement.

Word of warning, be very careful of hand batching on the ground ( it looks to me re your quote this is how your maestro is thinking), you WILL lose a lot of cement as the water perculates away during mixing, and a weak concrete floor / roof is not something to consider. Maybe their quote is for site batched mechanical mixing using a towed diesel mixer, that could work, but again ensure that the design is agreed with your engineer and use batching boxes to cube the materials up per bag of cement. Watch them for adding water too !!! Hope it goes well for you.

Although I always advocate the supply of concrete via a batching plant, it too is not without cause for concern, when I did my pool I specified a fibre reinforced concrete mix, with pump additive....simple.....except when the first truck arrived, it didn't have the fibre, so I refused the batch, the second truck was en route and approaching Bayaguana also without fibre, so a technician was dispatched with 270 lbs fibre for the ordered 3 truck loads. (I almost rejected the 2nd batch owing to the time from the batching plant stamp on the delivery sheet to point of placing), I know Tavares didn't make any money on that deal. But I do have a crack free pool !!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
With all due respect pouring a concrete roof without knowing if the supporting beams and columns can handle the weight and seismic forces is a recipe for disaster. I therefore ask others to not give advice to continue with this work until the op posts more info. Thanks.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
With all due respect pouring a concrete roof without knowing if the supporting beams and columns can handle the weight and seismic forces is a recipe for disaster. I therefore ask others to not give advice to continue with this work until the op posts more info. Thanks.

Your absolutely on the dot Chip, hence my word of warning, I take it the OP was only asking if he is getting a fair price or not. I would assume he has a design to follow, and has followed till this point, footings, foundation pads, columns, rebar splice details etc etc. Dangerous if not. I hope by making him aware of these points his structure will be sound.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Your absolutely on the dot Chip, hence my word of warning, I take it the OP was only asking if he is getting a fair price or not. I would assume he has a design to follow, and has followed till this point, footings, foundation pads, columns, rebar splice details etc etc. Dangerous if not. I hope by making him aware of these points his structure will be sound.

FYI. This is not my construction, a relation to mi novia hence why I was trying to qualify a quote. The Maestro is a family relation who apparently gets good material pricing. I do know their quote is premix with a truck, unsure about the other details as again not my project nor do I have the time oversee it. I did however share the WARNINGS that were articulated above, I as well do not want to see a problem. This is a crew that does this for a living but Im sure a lot of half ass cst. goes on nonetheless.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
FYI. This is not my construction, a relation to mi novia hence why I was trying to qualify a quote. The Maestro is a family relation who apparently gets good material pricing. I do know their quote is premix with a truck, unsure about the other details as again not my project nor do I have the time oversee it. I did however share the WARNINGS that were articulated above, I as well do not want to see a problem. This is a crew that does this for a living but Im sure a lot of half ass cst. goes on nonetheless.

Please post pictures of the perimeter beam of the house and the cross beams, whether integral to the wall or not.