Tiny kitten needs a home fast.

Zerophsychotic

Aug 28, 2013
Hi,
I am a regular reader of DR1, have been for several years, only now do I feel the need to start posting as I have landed myself in a situation I would usually turn my back on.
We were walking home last night, very late, must have been about midnight. Coming through the park we heard this very desperate squealing from nearby, it was obviously a distressed kitten and as usual we ignored it as we know helping out only ever brings headaches. In this instance we had to turn back as we saw a few dogs sniffing the air on the street, obviously alert to the kitten. So against my better judgement I went back to see if I could find the kitten and see if mother was around or not. I found a black garbage bag and it contained this tiny kitten and some bones that were large enough to convince me these had come from a butchers. Needless to say the kitten smells of bones, but we took the kitten home, it is very skinny, its eyes very dirty and either had only just opened them or I thought had an infection, its nose was blooded as if it had taken an inpact to the face.
So we cleaned it up and thankfully it looks like it has just had a seriously bad time and been through the wars. I wrapped it up in an old tshirt and sat with it for a couple of hours, tried to get it to drink some milk and eat some salami but no luck with that, it has taken a bit of water and this morning had a peck at some milk, but I dont think this UHT is very nice for it. At the moment we made a bed out of an old ice cream carton and it is sitting under the bed, popping out for a wobble around and then looking for a hug and some attention.

We cant keep this kitten, we have a strict no animals rule as we simply have no time for them. We can keep it for a day or two and see if we can get it fit enough to leave and make it alone, but beyond that it will have to go either way. It sounds tough, but we are not animal haters, just respect that animals need attention and we cant give it any and so it is best to separate before any affection becomes a factor and it becomes a headache.

We live in the Capital, we can drop it off to anywhere or meet up anywhere, and so if someone might be able to offer this kitten a little help then I am sure you will be rewarded in some way in the future. We can keep it till tomorrow evening, Friday morning at a push.

I have no pictures or the equipment to upload them anyway, but it is Brown, Black, White with little extended ear spurs not unlike a lynx, very cute.

Thanks DR1.

(fingers crossed)

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Guaricanos? yes. Midway between Arroyo Hondo and Villa Mella, on Jacobo Majluta avenue.

PADELA? Colonial Zone

Zerophsychotic

Aug 28, 2013
Thankyou Castle.
I am a little worried as this little kitten has not fed for 24 hours that I know of, god knows how long it was in the plastic bag with the bones and before that. I looked on youtube to try to get an idea of how old it is, and from what I can gather it is about three weeks.
I would love to take it directly to Guaricanos, skip the whole fostering or adoption process, but it seems mxcutie has gone off line since I went away. If anyone knows her/his contact number and could give them a call then as soon as my partner comes home from work we can take the kitten over there.
I do not know enough about cats to know if this kitten is ill, dying, normal or just a bit tired, but I do know it should eat something over this length of time. It wont eat salami, drink milk and has hardly sipped at the water bowl and so I am unsure how urgent this all is. It is aquealing a lot, if all the time accounts for a lot.
If we can not get her away tonight then it will be tomorrow and that will be another day without food.

Advise please!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i hand fed small kitties just months ago. first thing is to keep the kitten warm. you can hug it but i found best to warm up a cooking tray (in the oven), put a towel on it and then a kitten on the top. make sure no tray parts are exposed to burn him. the kitten has to hot, at this age preferable temperature is close to 38 or so.
buy in a pharmacy liquid formula for a baby. it will be under 100 pesos. buy a small syringe. feed the kitten about 3cc of liquid every 3 hours. it should be warmed up but only warm up small portion of the formula. to warm the formula put about whatever amount of liquid you will use in a small bowl and that bowl inside a pot with hot, boiled water. it should be warm to touch but not hot.
you need to feed the kitten asap but make sure it is warm first because a cold kitten will not digest the food.

here is a short video on how to feed it:
[video=youtube;mDULCNiIfM8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDULCNiIfM8[/video]

after food take a piece of toilet paper and gently rub the genitals of the kitten, it will pee almost immediately, wipe the kitten dry.

Zerophsychotic

Aug 28, 2013
Thankyou DV8. I will try to sort this out. We have baby milk, I expect that will do.

Like I said, if anyone knows the above poster and could contact them it would be better for the kitten than me trying to do this kind of thing.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is 38 C or 100 F.

how to make kitty pee:
[video=youtube;ty36tY_9ivc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty36tY_9ivc[/video]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if you have dry milk formula make it with a bit more powder per liquid. say, it asks for 2 spoons in 100 mil, use 3 spoons. any baby milk will do, formula, that is, not regular powder milk.

you should try to do whatever you can do for kitty now, before you give it away, just to give it a fair chance. hopefully the person who will take it will be able to take care of it. good luck.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
PLEASE NOTE: Cats raised by dv8 turn into raging butt-clawing maniacs who think that jumping on your head in the middle of the night is a fun game.

Other than that, she knows what she's talking about.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when i was fostering the kittens friends told me: it must be so sweet to lie down with the kittens and fall asleep as they cuddle with you. no, it mustn't. because my kittens only ever cuddled my ass with their teeth.

how is the kitten? did it survive the night? was it picked up?

Zerophsychotic

Aug 28, 2013
Hi,
the member who offered has not been in touch. As far as the feeding process is going, it doesnt want to take the plastic tip of the syringe and so I am trying to get the nib in the side of the mouth and just put tiny bits in so it can realize I am not trying to hurt it. I was unsure how much it was taking of this as it seemed as though most was going in one side of the mouth and out the other, but it is peeing within 5 minutes after I feed it (about 4mm), but like i said, its not taking all, but it seems some at least.
It has picked up a bit, it is following me around the house like a little dog would which is cute and we named it Jemima.

Oh, and we noticed it has bright blue eyes.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Take a few pictures, get in touch with PADELA or any other organization of that kind. They will upload the pics to their facebook page and someone will want him. I did this with a lost puppy I found near where I live. He was adopted within the week.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Also post the pics here, you never know. It worked well for dv8. For her kittens, that is...

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
Hi, sorry I haven't been online to respond. My friends mom will have no problem taking the kitten (she has a few other cats), but if the kitten is sick, it is probably best that you take it to a rescue organization so that it can get the proper care and ensure that it will survive. As I said, my friends mom can care for it, but she doesn't have the financial means to take him to the vet. I would definitely recommend contacting padela or even doggie house (they have helped cats in the past) to see if a vet can take a look at him. If you can post some pictures, I can ask my friend who runs a rescue organization in Bayahibe what she thinks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
keep on the good work. with the spillage going you should be giving the kitten 5cc or less in one go, it will probably spit and spill half of it so it's going to be enough nutrition. keep on feeding it often. i no not know if you can or are able to get up at night but it would be nice if you could just feed it once at night as well.

remember to keep it warm and make it go potty after feeding. he will not poo, really, maybe kind of yellowish liquid at the most. if it is 3 weeks old then within one week it will be big enough to start eating stuff like salami. and be given away to someone who will not have to do the hard work :) but i think if you say it is walking around and following you it may be a bit older than 3 weeks.

take some pictures and post them here as well. my kittens found their happy family within hours from my post. many folks here love animals and have good hearts. you are a great person to try to help jemima. fingers crossed for both of you. best wishes!

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
your kittens have just been fed and are now taking a nap on either side of me: one in a chair and one in the windoooooooooooooo - the one on the window sill just woke up and used my back to get to the floor. Danilo is sleeping soundly, no doubt resting up for his 2am romp around the bed.

I do love the cute little buggers.

I hope little Jemima gets a good home. If she is walking around, then that is a good sign. Have you tried putting the milk in a dish and see if she will lap it up herself?

For the life of me, I cannot understand throwing a kitten away. From my first world standard, it is exceptionally cruel. And from the developing world standard, kittens can be sold for a few pesos. (NOTE: I would never sell Danilo or Leonel. Not only are the great kittens, but I am also afraid of dv8.)