NO Return Ticket needed

Just b/c I saw a few people post about this other than me. I came back to the DR from Vancouver, flying west Jet and did not need a Return Ticket. Obviously other places could be different but thought i would let people know.

I saw the Captain of the Customs Security and he looked at me and said I remember you. (I am hard to forget because of tats) I said yes I had the Handcuffs 7 months ago and don't worry i didn't being handcuffs this time. We had a good laugh.

No problems bringing anything in that I bought and didn't have to pay any Duty :)

They were in my bag when we moved here and i was kept for an hour as they had to make sure i was ok to enter. I didn't even think that handcuffs would be a problem, i didn't try to hide them or anything... They all thought it was funny b/c they asked why I had the handcuffs and I said for the bedroom.....

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Canada has different requirement with the DR than US carriers. Everytime I have used Jet Blue or Continental/United I have been asked to verify a return ticket. If you have residency than it is not necessary.

LTSteve

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Canada has different requirement with the DR than US carriers. Everytime I have used Jet Blue or Continental/United I have been asked to verify a return ticket. If you have residency than it is not necessary.

LTSteve

It's not that Canada has different requirements, it's the airlines that are not enforcing this rule. Canadians are supposed to have a valid return ticket to Canada if they're not residents in the DR.

loveydovey

Dec 16, 2011
I've always flown Jet blue. I got through three times with no return ticket and twice was asked and had to by a refundable return ticket and cancel. The funny thing is is that the man at the counter was the person who suggested I do that. I already had planned to if necessary, but it just seemed funny to me.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's not that Canada has different requirements, it's the airlines that are not enforcing this rule. Canadians are supposed to have a valid return ticket to Canada if they're not residents in the DR.

Exactly correct. The airlines, any airline, could be fined if such irregularities are discovered by DR Immigration.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Exactly correct. The airlines, any airline, could be fined if such irregularities are discovered by DR Immigration.

So true and to add to that if for some reason you were not allowed entrance into the DR by Dominican Immigration the fine is steep. I know with Jet Blue when you make reservations on their website and you are purchasing a one-way ticket (did this for son going to NY for the summer) a pop-up comes up and states: "You have selected to fly one-way internationally. Because you're traveling to another country, proof of return travel may be required at the airport". The rule at time can be hit or miss with the airlines but the rule does exist and one should be prepared.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If WestJet has ever asked me for a return , I have forgotten about ..... I don't think ever

JetBlue (NYC) maybe once - always the popup at reservation time

Overall, it's a lax system ---- IMO

bluenose

Dec 31, 2007
I believe legally you must have a return ticket unless you have your Dominican Residency. I agree with above comment that some airline agents are strict on it and some are not. I am Canadian and often travel via USA to come to the D.R. on a one way ticket. Some agents question a return ticket or documentation, such as Dominican Residency, and others do not. I have my D.R. Residency so it is no problem for me. I believe there will come a day when a lot of the lax rules will be enforced more so, including Residency in the D.R. Just my opinion. Even now, it is more complicated to initiate Residency in the D.R. than years ago.