A couple of questions

jekel35

Oct 31, 2012
Hey all,

So two main questions. 1. What's the "best" health insurance in DR (best being most widely accepted in country and best bang for your buck)? 2. Does anyone have a suggestion for a security alarm system installer person in the Santo Domingo area?

Thanks
J

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
As you point out, "best" is relative.
The largest and more widely accepted I think would be: ARS Universal, ARS Humano and PALIC.

For Security alarms, try to get a security company not just some guy who happens to install alarms. Security companies will provide surveillance and response when the alarm goes off. It's more expensive, but much more effective. I think the biggest security company is Security Force Security Force

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
this is one of the security companies in Santo Domingo Empresa l?der de Seguridad Electr?nica about the I would says Palic is the best, I used to have ARS Humano and switched to ARS Constitucion, my friends at work also switched, has too many complains now about humano, starting that they do not allow incoming calls to the customer care center from a Cellphone.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
As you point out, "best" is relative.
The largest and more widely accepted I think would be: ARS Universal, ARS Humano and PALIC.

For Security alarms, try to get a security company not just some guy who happens to install alarms. Security companies will provide surveillance and response when the alarm goes off. It's more expensive, but much more effective. I think the biggest security company is Security Force Security Force

The problem with ARS Humanos etc. is that only their top plans are accepted by the top doctors and hospitals. I have a family plan at BMI, wanted to change trying to cut costs, but noticed that to have the same coverage with ARS Humano I need to platinum plan, which costs me almost double of what I'm paying now.

Maco

Apr 6, 2008
The problem with ARS Humanos etc. is that only their top plans are accepted by the top doctors and hospitals. I have a family plan at BMI, wanted to change trying to cut costs, but noticed that to have the same coverage with ARS Humano I need to platinum plan, which costs me almost double of what I'm paying now.
I intend on moving to the Cabarete area soon, May i please ask about how much is the insurance plan there. Thanks

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I intend on moving to the Cabarete area soon, May i please ask about how much is the insurance plan there. Thanks

That will depend on the ages, for old people few years ago the cost was 4,500.00 dominican pesos per month, so for young people I think could be half, 2,500.00 per month.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Don't buy your alarm system here....they will triple charge you for a wired system that will be outdated and limited. I bought my alarm system in NY before coming down here. I met the owner of the company as his "offices" were close to my work (previous job). I went there and spoke to the guy, very smart chinese engineer. He designed and programmed the system himself (Using C++ Language). I couldn't be more than happy with the system I have here. When you purchase online you are given the choice of having them (AASAlarm) program all of the sensors for you. So that when you get the system all you have to do is pay someone down here to drill holes for you to mount the motion detectors and sirens. The door and window sensors you can do yourself. The system has a SIM card slot which will work with Claro or Orange. I have mine with Orange. Here is there website: AAS Alarm Inc

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

There is no insurance plan specific to Cabarete as far as I know. Health insurance is provided by national companies. As an example for you, I pay RD$950 per month for an average type plan.

Apr 13, 2011
Who does the system call? I hope it's not the police...

Maybe it just makes a lot of loud beeping noise in the middle of the night, like a lot of the car alarms do...
(and then everybody gets ****ed off because it was only set off by the rain...) ;-)

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Maybe it just makes a lot of loud beeping noise in the middle of the night, like a lot of the car alarms do...
(and then everybody gets ****ed off because it was only set off by the rain...) ;-)

haha, yeah, but he said the system has a sim card slot, so I guess the idea is to call someone if the alarm goes off. Without an armed surveillance system that will respond to the call, I don't think it will be of much use.

Also, I don't agree with the statement that alarm systems here are outdated. I've seen some pretty impressive wireless residential alarm systems, which is only logical when you have a higher crime rate than in NY or many other paces.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
One problem with most of these plans is they dont cover preexisting conditions. So I am not saying u should lie about your chronic medical problems (like Hypertension) when u sign up but if you expect to covered for those things you wont be. I just hope my ARS Palic Salud for $200 every 3 months will cover me if i get into an auto accident and break a bone, etc.. It has saved me some big bucks on dental care.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I just hope my ARS Palic Salud for $200 every 3 months will cover me if i get into an auto accident and break a bone, etc.. It has saved me some big bucks on dental care.

As far as I know, car accidents are not covered by your ARS. Those should be covered by your car insurance. Still, I don't think you will be denied service if you arrive at the clinic with a broken bone, and you don't really have to say you were in a car accident, do you?