Looking for hotel in santo domingo

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I am looking for a hotel for 3 adults in the santo domingo area in the 100-150$ range. If anyone can recommend something for our stay I'd appreciate it. We will be working towards the east end of Santo Domingo near San Antonio De Guerra I believe but we'd rather stay in the city.

Apr 13, 2011
I have also stayed in Melia and Jaragua - so I can second those recommendations as nice accomodations - though at Jaragua, stay in the Tower, not in the Garden rooms (the bed did not seem as good in the Garden room, the Tower rooms have always been comfortable).

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
My wife and I have stayed at the Turey several times for a couple of days each visit. Not top of the line but OK and prices are reasonable. Full kitchens. Large grocery store within a block and several restaurants within walking distance. They have 1 two bedroom unit.

Welcome to Turey

gas

Jul 28, 2013
I've never stayed at the Jaragua but the reviews on the various sites (tripadvisor, orbitz, etc.) are terrible.

My personal choice now is Nicolas de Ovando, rated #1 or #2 in Santo Domingo. If you book on hotwire, you can get a room for $75, a steal.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
My wife and I have stayed at the Turey several times for a couple of days each visit. Not top of the line but OK and prices are reasonable. Full kitchens. Large grocery store within a block and several restaurants within walking distance. They have 1 two bedroom unit.

Welcome to Turey

Thanks for that info. I was wanting something like this for my next visit to Santo Domingo; small kitchen so I can cook my own meals instead of going to the street to get food; and close enough to Ensanche Piantini and Los Prados where my lady friend lives.

I stood at Apartahotel Drake on my last visit. While I appreciated the ultra cheap rate; $260 for six days; the room was nothing short of depressing. But it happened to be the cheapest one I can find that was close enough to where she lives. I like that they show pictures of the rooms. Drake only showed pictures of the facilities and the outside. Now I understand why!!!! To be fair though; the staff at Drake was phenomenal and very courteous, and they have a private and gated parking area free of charge. I certainly appreciated that, especially since I often went out with my lady friend at night. Do you know if Turey has a private parking area or is it street parking? If I remember correctly, Avenida Gustavo Mejia Ricart is a very busy thoroughfare and street parking was scarce.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Thanks for that info. I was wanting something like this for my next visit to Santo Domingo; small kitchen so I can cook my own meals instead of going to the street to get food; and close enough to Ensanche Piantini and Los Prados where my lady friend lives.

I stood at Apartahotel Drake on my last visit. While I appreciated the ultra cheap rate; $260 for six days; the room was nothing short of depressing. But it happened to be the cheapest one I can find that was close enough to where she lives. I like that they show pictures of the rooms. Drake only showed pictures of the facilities and the outside. Now I understand why!!!! To be fair though; the staff at Drake was phenomenal and very courteous, and they have a private and gated parking area free of charge. I certainly appreciated that, especially since I often went out with my lady friend at night. Do you know if Turey has a private parking area or is it street parking? If I remember correctly, Avenida Gustavo Mejia Ricart is a very busy thoroughfare and street parking was scarce.

The photos are .... ah.... showing when everything was new so it has some age on it. Parking is provided in front with a watchman. Street is busy during rush hour. You will need to also buy your own water and ice (small freezer compartment and not enough ice trays) at the large store just down the street. Going west, past the store 2 or 3 blocks you will find several restaurants from expensive to fast food. Basken Robbins ice cream place too. You will need to get the wifi code at the front desk.

Good luck.

Edit. They have a list of restaurants with phone numbers that deliver.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
The photos are .... ah.... showing when everything was new so it has some age on it. Parking is provided in front with a watchman. Street is busy during rush hour. You will need to also buy your own water and ice (small freezer compartment and not enough ice trays) at the large store just down the street. Going west, past the store 2 or 3 blocks you will find several restaurants from expensive to fast food. Basken Robbins ice cream place too. You will need to get the wifi code at the front desk.

Good luck.

Edit. They have a list of restaurants with phone numbers that deliver.

When you say in front; is that the street or they have their own parking lot with the watchman? Drake had their own parking lot up front with watchman too.

As long as there's a colmado within walking distance, I'm golden. That's one of the first things I did on my previous trip; picked up a jug of water and kept it in the mini fridge.

Thanks again for the info

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
Check also Barcelo, Marriot, Holliday in, sometimes they have sales and you can book for 76.00 a day.

The Holiday Inn at Avenida Abraham Lincoln charges $175/night on average. They're seriously on crack. The Holiday Inn hotels in New York aren't even all that to begin with!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
When you say in front; is that the street or they have their own parking lot with the watchman? Drake had their own parking lot up front with watchman too.

As long as there's a colmado within walking distance, I'm golden. That's one of the first things I did on my previous trip; picked up a jug of water and kept it in the mini fridge.

Thanks again for the info

Own parking lot and had never seen it full. Did you Google Earth and find the place?

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
I've never stayed at the Jaragua but the reviews on the various sites (tripadvisor, orbitz, etc.) are terrible.

My personal choice now is Nicolas de Ovando, rated #1 or #2 in Santo Domingo. If you book on hotwire, you can get a room for $75, a steal.

I've stayed at the Jaragua a few times. Usually my rates are between US$79 and US$89 a night in the tower. I also get access to the lounge on the 10th floor so not familiar with the restaurants on the first floor. However, I have never had a bad stay here. Service was excellent. Hotel would be about US$150 per night in the US if you want a comparison to the level I've experienced.

I also stay at Maison Gautreaux which is about two blocks east of the Jaragua. Normally I use that place when I need a room, no questions asked. :) The rooms are functional and bare bones, but I don't have any reason to complain about the service. Usually my rate is between US$40 and US$50 per night.

Hope this helps.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
Own parking lot and had never seen it full. Did you Google Earth and find the place?

Good call. I just checked it this way. The lot is literally up front by the avenue. Good stuff :D

Thanks again! I appreciate it.